Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Flynny

Blur

• 4 months later...

I always rated Blur, if for no other reason than they were one of the few (mainstream) bands in the 90s trying to do anything different - the step from 'leisure' to 'modern life...' is insane, and 'parklife' is the closest thing a band has come to the beatles in my opinion, in the sense that evey track is a standout, yet it is a beautiful complete package...

their pursuit of variation was, ironically, the thing that lost me, on the later albums, like 13, there are some good tracks but i always felt they were less considered as albums and more a bunch of songs... but i'm inclined to revist them now.

But in the history books, Oasis won.

Good band Blur are though, Charmless Man and Bettlebum are still played on my I-pod everyday.

No distance left to run is probally in my opinion their best song.

Even for you, This Is A Low.

Do we see what i did there? fooking genius me.

I always rated Blur, if for no other reason than they were one of the few (mainstream) bands in the 90s trying to do anything different - the step from 'leisure' to 'modern life...' is insane, and 'parklife' is the closest thing a band has come to the beatles in my opinion, in the sense that evey track is a standout, yet it is a beautiful complete package...

their pursuit of variation was, ironically, the thing that lost me, on the later albums, like 13, there are some good tracks but i always felt they were less considered as albums and more a bunch of songs... but i'm inclined to revist them now.

Coming at them from the past the opposite seems true to me. 13 and Think Tank feel most cohesive to me, bit of pervasive gloominess but in a good way. Musically and lyrically those latter two albums are a lot prettier and sad and less poppy. I'm not sure they're my favourite but they feel most whole to me.

Parklife is probably my favourite album of their earlier sound but Albarn doesn't like it very much. Weird that.

Coming at them from the past the opposite seems true to me. 13 and Think Tank feel most cohesive to me, bit of pervasive gloominess but in a good way. Musically and lyrically those latter two albums are a lot prettier and sad and less poppy. I'm not sure they're my favourite but they feel most whole to me.

Parklife is probably my favourite album of their earlier sound but Albarn doesn't like it very much. Weird that.

interesting.

as far as parklife, i think there is a popular tendancy to dismiss your most commercially succesful work---

i have a feeling i don't even own think tank, now i, ahem, think about it. i guess i was moving away from guitars and indiepop at the time 13 came out, my tastes were getting easier, and they were getting angstyer...

maybe i'll give it a blast before the game tomorrow :chant:

interesting.

as far as parklife, i think there is a popular tendancy to dismiss your most commercially succesful work---

i have a feeling i don't even own think tank, now i, ahem, think about it. i guess i was moving away from guitars and indiepop at the time 13 came out, my tastes were getting easier, and they were getting angstyer...

maybe i'll give it a blast before the game tomorrow :chant:

It got slammed in some quarters and praised in others - I love it. It's not deliberately 'difficult' it's just ended up being not very poppy.

Think Tank is a fantastic album, I think Out Of Time and Battery In Your Leg are 2 of the greatest Blur songs.

They're both great. Crazy Beat seems a bit obviously to be straining to get a single on there but I like that too, as well as 'On the Way to the Club'

They're both great. Crazy Beat seems a bit obviously to be straining to get a single on there but I like that too, as well as 'On the Way to the Club'

I see what you mean about Crazy Beat, it's the most like the early Blur stuff, still very good tho. I think that album really showed how talented Albarn actually is.

Even for you, This Is A Low.

Do we see what i did there? fooking genius me.

I don't hate Blur but you muppets just thought because i liked Oasis. I would hate Blur :rolleyes:

You like the Holloways though, they're a NME band nob face.

I don't hate Blur but you muppets just thought because i liked Oasis. I would hate Blur :rolleyes:

No, to be fair the reason we all thought you hated Blur was due to the amount of posts from you insulting them and their fans.

You like the Holloways though, they're a NME band nob face.

They are not a NME band you knobrash, count up the column inches of The Holloways and your beloved Oasis in NME and i think you'll find Oasis are far more of an NME band. I'd also like to point out the magazine that made Oasis was NME and that there wouldn't have been half the media attention of the Blur Vs Oasis battle if it wasn't for the NME as well.

I think he posted that just to get a song title in. :unsure:

Look Ash a sane person, something for you to aspire too.

I don't care, he wanted a reply. I gave it him.

Actually Ass i wanted you to crawl back into the hole your were spawned from and never insult my eyes with your morose, Oasis cocksucking, bile again.

Archived