Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Flynny

Blur

Ash about your sig, just wondering why you think it's a good quote? I've never understood why Gallagher says things like that, what does it even mean? He's from Colchester and he went to uni so he can't understand British culture? Riiiiight makes sense.

This post is the turning point in this thread.

Sometimes you don't get the credit you deserve, you are one of not many who i think is a good poster :thumbup:

:wub:

I don't think anyone is a good or bad poster, it's just getting a bit boring now every other thread turning into this same old silly debate.

I think everyone has established you like Oasis I just find it silly someone gives out bait and then is shocked in how you react.

At the same time you should ignore it. Music is music. It would be boring if we all liked the same stuff or are told what we should and shouldn't be listening to.

But to be fair you bring it on yourself with the constant Oasis love in just as Dangerous Tiger did with Bob Dylan. Nothing wrong with that just don't need it rubbed in our face at every opportunity.

:thumbup:

This post is the turning point in this thread.

Well yeah because he clearly put it there to annoy me and other Blur fans on here, and it's a ridiculous quote I really wanted to know why he liked the quote as it makes no sense.

Well yeah because he clearly put it there to annoy me and other Blur fans on here, and it's a ridiculous quote I really wanted to know why he liked the quote as it makes no sense.

Fair enough :)

Oasis are the biggest band to come out of England since The Beatles ( prove me wrong please )
The Clash :crylaugh: Sex One album Pistols :crylaugh: The Jam :rolleyes: Led Zeplin :rolleyes: Pink NO CARES Floyd.

First of all, you forgot to give Queen a :crylaugh: or a :rolleyes:.

Is it maybe because of this?

Second of all they're called Led Zeppelin, and I think you'll find quite a few people care about Pink Floyd. Actually according to this, this and this source, the latter have sold anywhere between 175 and 200 million albums worldwide, the last source even claiming upwards of 300 million, though I personally doubt that. In comparison, Oasis have sold around 50 million albums worldwide. These are the figures and numbers you so like isn't it? The sources might be a bit dodgy, but even if they are only rough estimates, PF for one are still at least "twice as big".

In addition, Pink Floyd remain the second-most grossing band worldwide ever, only behind the Rolling Stones (Shock, horror! Another BRITISH band!) (Source, a bit over halfway down). The Berlin (yes, in a GERMAN-speaking country!) concert alone had an estimated attendance of between 300.000 and 500.000 people and was broadcast to over 500 million people in 35 different countries (same source).

Dark Side of the Moon has sold over 35 million copies worldwide, and still sells around 250,000 copies a year, which is more than any other record from the 70's (and subsequently puts your 'NO CARES' comment, where you obviously missed the 'One' that you so derogatively put in the middle of Sex Pistols, to shame). I couldn't find the sales numbers of Be Here Now or Definitely Maybe, but I challenge you to find and post their current and total sales numbers.

Now I'm not going to claim that Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones or anyone else for that matter are the biggest British band ever since the Beatles, as it really doesn't make sense*. There's no equation that states 'Biggest Band = so and so'. But if you ABSOLUTELY MUST compare numbers, do a little bit of research before you dismiss other bands before your time. Above are three (Queen, Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones) strong cases for bands bigger than Oasis backed up by numbers for greatest selling album in the UK, worldwide album sales, and worldwide live grossing. You can come with comments like Oasis having the fastest-selling album in chart history, or have sold out concerts faster than anyone in the UK and so on, but when you're talking longevity (and this is what you constantly harp on about) then do think twice before making such claims.

*Just to reiterate here that I'm not saying Oasis aren't big. They're huge by any normal standards.

'Woo-hoo', Blur are OK too ^_^

I'm actually staggered that people still feel the need to respond to Ash's posts.

shen - you're better than that! As are the rest of you. Why do you get wound up about him?

I honestly couldn't give a fuck about what he says because most of it is complete nonsense that has only been posted to get a reaction. And you lot are only too happy to oblige.

If he genuinely means half the stuff he says then he's just plain thick. If he is on the wind up then why respond? Either way, I know where I stand - IGNORE.

Ash - you can be funny sometimes. Just a shame it's about 1 in every 100 posts. Hopefully you'll work on that though.

I'm actually staggered that people still feel the need to respond to Ash's posts.

shen - you're better than that! As are the rest of you. Why do you get wound up about him?

I honestly couldn't give a fuck about what he says because most of it is complete nonsense that has only been posted to get a reaction. And you lot are only too happy to oblige.

If he genuinely means half the stuff he says then he's just plain thick. If he is on the wind up then why respond? Either way, I know where I stand - IGNORE.

Ash - you can be funny sometimes. Just a shame it's about 1 in every 100 posts. Hopefully you'll work on that though.

You're right, but it was the middle of the night and I had to do something else than listen to Mark's mix which WILL make you drowsy around 3 am :P And I found it interesting to read some of the PF history, so it wasn't a complete waste of time ^_^

How many times a day does James come into a thread and tell people they shouldn't be replying to something or moaning about another situation?

:D

:unsure:

Well, today = 2.

Sometimes people need telling Ched. It's for their own benefit.

You're right, but it was the middle of the night and I had to do something else than listen to Mark's mix which WILL make you drowsy around 3 am :P And I found it interesting to read some of the PF history, so it wasn't a complete waste of time ^_^

To be fair I actually found all that stuff about Pink Floyd interesting as well. Good work. :D

Not talanted ?! You write a Slide Away or a Live Forever then. Oh wait your a failed musican who bangs on how he met Noel once. Do you think Noel tells everyone who will listen he met you ? His band are playing sell out tours all over the world are you ? Do you have 20 Million pounds ?

Noel is more talented then Marr, Albarn and Brown. Oasis are the biggest band to come out of England since The Beatles ( prove me wrong please ) Will anyone care about Johnny Marr in 50 years ? Don't Johnny Marr play in a small indie band called The Cribs ? I bet he plays to a few thousand at best. Noel isn't a great guitarist and has never claimed to be but to say he's not talented is like saying your not up your own arse.

Noel wrote himself two of the biggest album of all time, Noel songwriting is a million times better then yours. Why people buy his albums and no one buys yours.

The Smiths are a good band but they're noway near Oasis terms of greatness.

Also if you knew anything about music your'll know Johnny Marr has played with Oasis million of times. He must RATE them to joined them onstage and to talk about how good they are.

Why don't Johnny Marr ever join you on stage ?

if in doubt have a personal dig at me eh ash :rolleyes: i guess that's the best argument you have tho...

seriously, it doesn't take a genius, watching that video of noel playing, to realise that he clearly is very very average regardless of how many records he has sold...

anyway, back to blur - i was looking at some of the chords and chord progressions that albarn uses on modern life.... and it really is very clever stuff - i couldn't give a stuff about record sales, but i gather an awful amount of satisfaction to see a contemporary songwriter trying different things with music.

the way he links dischordant chords together and plays with time signatures, whilst still maintaining a commercial edge is a very rare talent.

Things less entertaining than firing someone like Ash up on a forum that people still get into anyway: Big Brother, cricket, Eurovision, lawn bowls, ballet, Friends (the show), Batracer, indie, YouTube singer-songwriters, Susan Boyle, jizzing on the carpet, The Dragons and their Den, Britain's Got Pop Factor Stars In Their Eyes, Swine Flu, Dig Out Your Soul, Wimbledon, the Ryder Cup, Jeremy Kyle, local news, "clunge", Talking Balls, baseball, the Lord of the Rings and AIDS.

... oh "and Hugh Jackman."

Things less entertaining than firing someone like Ash up on a forum that people still get into anyway: Big Brother, cricket, Eurovision, lawn bowls, ballet, Friends (the show), Batracer, indie, YouTube singer-songwriters, Susan Boyle, jizzing on the carpet, The Dragons and their Den, Britain's Got Pop Factor Stars In Their Eyes, Swine Flu, Dig Out Your Soul, Wimbledon, the Ryder Cup, Jeremy Kyle, local news, "clunge", Talking Balls, baseball, the Lord of the Rings and AIDS.

... oh "and Hugh Jackman."

Things more entertaining to do at work than firing someone like Ash up: BBC Sport, e mailing mates, going for a poo, looking at women in the office, spreadsheets.

I have a list for if you're at home but I'm hoping you won't need that.

I'm sorry but it was JB fault, he wanted to know why i put that quote in my sig. So i told him, he couldn't just deal with it and kept going on and on. Then the Failed Musican started his dig at Noel and i was asked him when Johnny Marr had joined him on stage.

End of the day, Blur are no different to the other millions of bands reforming for a pay day.

I'm sorry but it was JB fault, he wanted to know why i put that quote in my sig. So i told him, he couldn't just deal with it and kept going on and on. Then the Failed Musican started his dig at Noel and i was asked him when Johnny Marr had joined him on stage.

End of the day, Blur are no different to the other millions of bands reforming for a pay day.

this is true, for sure...

i'd rather hear some new material, but that set list did look very very tasty.

listenening again to MLIR, and it really doesn't sound 16 years old - i think blur will remain popular over time in the same way bands from the 60s and 70s have done, as much as blur belong to the 90s, there is a timeless element to their music, and i think that stems from the fact that they drew from so many different reference points and used such a wide range of instrumentation... you listen to bands like elastica and sleeper and they sound awfully dated now

I'd certainly like to hear some new material.

It's probably a bit different for younger fans, but when you're a jaded old git like me that bought all the stuff the first time round, saw them play it live and heard it played to death at crap student indie nights then you can only get so nostalgic

Archived