Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hackneyisblue

People's opinion on Martin

I mentioned a while back that Martin will turn out to be a decent goalkeeper, probably good enough for a higher level but that for him to get to that level he'll need to improve and develop. So whilst he's on loan with us, we will have to put up with his inconsistencies, and when he does improve he'll probably bugger off back to Liverpool and not to our benefit.

He has got better as the seasons gone on, his handling from crosses and set pieces is very, very good. His kicking has improved and my only real criticism of him still is his sluggishness at times on shots that don't seem to be hit with venom from the opposition but still seem to trouble us. He also get's wrong footed a fair bit from deflections, which I understand is never easy to predict, but he get's caught out more often that i've seen other goalies do.

If we were to get him permanently, i'd be relatively happy as he's got further room to improvement.

Neither of them command their 6-yard box let alone the whole penalty area. Henderson worries me away from home in every game he plays - QPR and Southampton (at the turn of last year after Fulop left) both made for depressing viewing. Martin is even worse from what I've seen. We're not put under anywhere near as much pressure this season as we were last season. In short, they're both been largely below-par relative to the team playing in front of them (Henderson mostly in the Championship where we appear to be heading anyway and Martin in this league in my opinion) and we should be looking to buy a quality goalkeeper in the summer. There are a few knocking about who are not first-choice at their clubs and would make for good Championship keepers (Bunn at Blackburn or Lee Camp being two that stick out).

The Fez speaks sense.

He is a young keeper learning his trade and will make mistakes. Liverpool have sent him out on loan and the instructions will be he has to play, if not he will be recalled no matter what the agreement.

Give the guy a chance after all we are still a League 1 side. As to if he is ideal long term who knows but lets have faith in NP to make that decision.

I'm with Ric Flair on this one, I think he is fantastic on crosses and that for me was one of Henderson's main weaknesses.

We either stick with Martin or get a new keeper, most people's defence of Henderson earlier on in the season (apart from the ridiculous 'he saves penalties') was that he kept cllean sheets, therefore you couldn't drop him. Well so too does Martin, so for me he stays in goal whatever happens to Henderson.

There has been a fair amount of disagreement on this board about our goalies this season.

I have never been a fan of Henderson but mnay have been, especially after saving a couple of penalties last season.

For me, Martin started off slightly nervous and I did think that we should ditch both and get a new goalie in, but I have become more and more impressed with him as games go by.

What do you all think, happy with Martin or glad when Henderson is fit and back in the first team, obviously I will be happy when The Flapper is fit, but I don't want him starting a game for us.

Id Call him a steady keeper no more than that.

Archived