Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Reverend

The Advancement of Computer Games

I was thinking about this the other day - how much have games moved on in almost every way? Graphically, story-wise and just basically in every way they can. Take a look at these videos - from two of the most hyped franchise games of all time, and see how they've moved on.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Metal Gear Solid - released - Septemer 3rd 1998.

Intro to MGS4, released June 12th 2008, 9 years and 9 months later.

Resident Evil gameplay clip, released 1996.

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

Resident Evil 5, released in March.

Look how things have moved on. Its ridiculous. How far will games have come in another 10 years time?

Discuss.

Is it weird that I've never played MGS?
I haven't either. Well I had a go on the first but never bought it.
I have never played MGS either.

:o

What an amazing game

But you did miss out MGS 2 Sons Of Liberty and Snake Eater, that had great graphics aswell

I know but..I wanted to get 4 but I don't know any of the story, charatcers etc, and I can't really start from number 1..

Technically, not many people can now really. This is the original, Metal Gear, on the MSX2 system, released in 1987. This is where it all began.

:o

What an amazing game

But you did miss out MGS 2 Sons Of Liberty and Snake Eater, that had great graphics aswell

I never played Snake Eater - though technically its not part of Solid Snakes story, its a prequel to even the original.

Metal Gear Solid has had me gripped ever since i first heard that haunting music while Snake swims towards Shadow Moses.

Epic.

For anyone that wants to sample the original Metal Gear on MSX, download this, its on rapidshare, keep trying every few minutes until you can start the download, thats what i did, now i've got a working MSX emulator with the oriinal Metal Gear. It works a treat too.

If anyone downloads it and isnt sure how to set it up, just ask.

I never played Snake Eater - though technically its not part of Solid Snakes story, its a prequel to even the original.

Metal Gear Solid has had me gripped ever since i first heard that haunting music while Snake swims towards Shadow Moses.

Epic.

You should really play MGS3. It's an amazing game.

The Best Is Yet To Come is an amazing piece of music, I agree.

For anyone wanting to go through the Metal Gear series, try and get a copy of Metal Gear Twin Snakes (Gamecube). If you have a Wii of course - bout the only thing it's useful for. Twin Snakes is a tarted up version of the original PS1 game. As for MGS2 and 3, both on PS2, you really can't pass them up either.

As for the advancement of computer games, SF4 says it all. I remember getting SF2 on Megadrive for £30 15 years ago and then on Friday pick up SF4 for £25 in GAME (with a voucher!). Despite the advancement of these games, it's amazing to me that the price of these has remained the same for the past 15 or so years.

I can even remember going into Toys'r'Us on Fosse Park where they had Ultima IV on the Master System (I think) for £40!!! How times change. :giggle:

You should really play MGS3. It's an amazing game.

The Best Is Yet To Come is an amazing piece of music, I agree.

For anyone wanting to go through the Metal Gear series, try and get a copy of Metal Gear Twin Snakes (Gamecube). If you have a Wii of course - bout the only thing it's useful for. Twin Snakes is a tarted up version of the original PS1 game. As for MGS2 and 3, both on PS2, you really can't pass them up either.

As for the advancement of computer games, SF4 says it all. I remember getting SF2 on Megadrive for £30 15 years ago and then on Friday pick up SF4 for £25 in GAME (with a voucher!). Despite the advancement of these games, it's amazing to me that the price of these has remained the same for the past 15 or so years.

I can even remember going into Toys'r'Us on Fosse Park where they had Ultima IV on the Master System (I think) for £40!!! How times change. :giggle:

Nice, i might pick that up (Wii has NOTHING to do with me) lol

I think i'm about half way through act 4 on MGS4 now, and all i can say if fucking wow. People who have played it will know what i mean. I dont want to give anything away.

Nice, i might pick that up (Wii has NOTHING to do with me) lol

I think i'm about half way through act 4 on MGS4 now, and all i can say if fucking wow. People who have played it will know what i mean. I dont want to give anything away.

It's a class act of a computer game.

Just you wait until you get near the end. Absolute class. And the end... I won't spoil it. Bloody damn good musical score though. :thumbup:

Best musical score of any computer game in MGS2 without doubt.

Just you wait until you get near the end. Absolute class. And the end... I won't spoil it. Bloody damn good musical score though. :thumbup:

I've never played MGS oddly enough. Seems like it's appreciated on here.

To reply to the topic, I want to add a critical point. Obviously, there's no doubting the ever-improving graphics and the complexity of games and in some cases also their durability. But what makes a game great IMO is the atmosphere and simplicity. While I like being challenged in games and be able to diversify the way I play the game, sometimes too much complexity can effectively drain the enthusiasm out of a game. Too often I find that there's just too much content or too much 'filler stuff' in newer games that effectively chokes the gameplay experience. I find myself going back to old games like Monkey Island, Diablo (the original) and Heroes of Might and Magic because they have that simplicity and atmosphere, while still being challenging and very entertaining. To respond to the above post, I find the original Diablo music to be ground-breaking and to this day is still among the very best games musically. It adds so so much to the claustrophobic and eerie experience, and I just find those elements of immersion are too often missing in todays games.

To reply to the topic, I want to add a critical point. Obviously, there's no doubting the ever-improving graphics and the complexity of games and in some cases also their durability. But what makes a game great IMO is the atmosphere and simplicity. While I like being challenged in games and be able to diversify the way I play the game, sometimes too much complexity can effectively drain the enthusiasm out of a game. Too often I find that there's just too much content or too much 'filler stuff' in newer games that effectively chokes the gameplay experience. I find myself going back to old games like Monkey Island, Diablo (the original) and Heroes of Might and Magic because they have that simplicity and atmosphere, while still being challenging and very entertaining. To respond to the above post, I find the original Diablo music to be ground-breaking and to this day is still among the very best games musically. It adds so so much to the claustrophobic and eerie experience, and I just find those elements of immersion are too often missing in todays games.

Diablo is a class game on PC. I'd agree with the musical element - it definately adds something to the experience. Diablo 3 is looking rather tasty. :thumbup:

Diablo is a class game on PC. I'd agree with the musical element - it definately adds something to the experience. Diablo 3 is looking rather tasty. :thumbup:

It's looking very promising so far. People that tried the short demo at the last BlizzCon were stunned at the vintage atmospheric setting in Tristram. I'm hoping that will carry on for the rest of the game. But people are still nervous about whether the atmosphere can be sustained for large parts of the game (colour contrversy etc), especially in outdoor settings. I'm crossing my fingers that we will see another classic game by Blizzard this time next year :)

I agree, there is too much 'filler' shit. I don't want story bits where you can't press oat to move on. Just want action.

Does anyone remember that game about 1986 on arcade and spectrum? Platform game where you just walk around kickin the shit out of people? I can remember the game well, just not the name.

MGS4's OST is far superior IMO. ****in' huge too.

They've all been great since they got Gregson-Williams on board.

look at the difference between fallout and fallout 3

but some of the old games are the most entertaining

going over some old blizzard games, starcraft was amazing, total annihilation was pretty awesome too along with the Diablo games

Mario is one of the best and most well known games ever, that isn't very new

Another example - one of really games that have stayed almost identical, but brought up to modern standards, so great for comparison over the past decade

The Sims - January 2000

The Sims 2 - September 2004

The Sims 3 - June 2009

I mean, just look at the advancements in just 4 years, and it's even amazing in 9!

Archived