Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

USB Modem Stick - Anybody got/use one?

vodafone-usb-modem-lite-h1.png

pay-monthly-usb.jpg

I'm think of getting one on a pay as you go, I would like to have any idea of how much 'browsing' you get for say 1GB and what is the reception like when connecting?

vodafone-usb-modem-lite-h1.png

pay-monthly-usb.jpg

I'm think of getting one on a pay as you go, I would like to have any idea of how much 'browsing' you get for say 1GB and what is the reception like when connecting?

we're on '3' which is ok, but it can be very very frustrating when it decides it doesn't want to connect to the network (bizarrely it's usually on a monday..... :dunno: ).

if that doesn't worry you, go for it, we got shut of our BT land line (losing the silly line rental charges) which was a bargain too

I have a three modem dongle, it's pretty good and they seem to be getting cheaper all the time. You can actually get them for 29.99 now, pay as you go starts from £10 for 1 gig of useage. Stezza's cost 99.99 but when I got mine 6 months later for my birthday it was 50.00.

If you're in a good mobile signal area then it's fine, all sorts of companies are doing them now though. Three was just the first.

Because they are a lot cheaper I was thinking of getting one to use when I'm not a home, so just for a say or maybe a weeks worth.

o2 Charge £2/day or £7.5/week or £15/month.

If anyone gonna buy one just make sure you get the one with the best network coverage for where you are. I spent 60 quid on a '3' one and have never been able to use it cos there's no network where I live. O2 is best here but I didn't think. Div

I've got a Vodafone one. Connection has always been fine, apart from in the depths of Thetford Forest, but then I've never known any mobile network get coverage their either. 3G speeds are fairly good, if you're in an area with that level of coverage. 'Standard' speeds are ok for most uses, faster than dial up but not as quick as my usual home broadband.

Haven't used it for downloading much... it does seem to eat into your usage very quickly when you do though. But for my occasional 'away from home' web surfing needs, it works just fine. Useful if you're away - saves hunting for a Wi-Fi hotspot - and was a godsend when my broadband supplier disconnected me due to an admin error on their part. Must admit, I mainly use mine when I'm at school and the 'education web police' restrict access to just about every site... including FT! :o Gets round that problem nicely. :P

We use them at work for connecting our remote users. Same price as BT but no set up charge. Just make sure you get the right network for you. We use a variety of networks to depending on the location. Signal strength can vary during the day too.

On the whole they are great bits of kit.

Has anyone heard any bad or good reports re o2 as they would be my preferred supplier as I use them for my mobile phone?

There might be some cross usage perks :dunno:

I've got a Vodafone one. Connection has always been fine, apart from in the depths of Thetford Forest, but then I've never known any mobile network get coverage their either. 3G speeds are fairly good, if you're in an area with that level of coverage. 'Standard' speeds are ok for most uses, faster than dial up but not as quick as my usual home broadband.

Haven't used it for downloading much... it does seem to eat into your usage very quickly when you do though. But for my occasional 'away from home' web surfing needs, it works just fine. Useful if you're away - saves hunting for a Wi-Fi hotspot - and was a godsend when my broadband supplier disconnected me due to an admin error on their part. Must admit, I mainly use mine when I'm at school and the 'education web police' restrict access to just about every site... including FT! :o Gets round that problem nicely. :P

Shocking.

Don't get o2!!!

I had to cancel my contract with them after a month. I got a message saying i was 2GB over my allowance and would have to pay 20p per MB! Yes, per Megabyte!!!

They dropped the charges and cancelled for me. All the pictures on websites came up pixelated, videos took forever to watch, etc.

I got Orange now. 10GB a month for £25. Vry good. I reccomend this.

Vodafone did a lot of work updating their 3G network prior to the release of the BlackBerry Storm so they should have good fast coverage.

With Virgin you get the modem stick for free but that's on an 18 month contract (£15 a month). However the charges for going over are a lot less. It's 1.46p per MB (£15 per GB) compared to O2's 20p per MB (according to AmericanScott above), which equates to £205 per GB. I can't tell you much more about it (I don't do anything with Mobile Broadband at work), and I'm by no means saying it's the best, it's just food for though :thumbup:

I'm only after a pay as you go but I'm on hold now as I've found they're no good (well o2) in France which was my immediate priority.

I'm only after a pay as you go but I'm on hold now as I've found they're no good (well o2) in France which was my immediate priority.

Vodafone have networks all over the world, not sure what it's like in France. Also I've no idea if they do PAYG. This could be absolutely useless.

Won't you get absolutely done over using it abroad though?

Vodafone have networks all over the world, not sure what it's like in France. Also I've no idea if they do PAYG. This could be absolutely useless.

Won't you get absolutely done over using it abroad though?

o2 told me that it would be very expensive to get online but then they could only suggest using a phone.

From programmes I've seen on TV I understood it was much, much cheaper to get online in France :dunno:

I'll check out Vodaphone :thumbup:

How they can charge that much is beyond me. The thing that annoyed me was they waited until i was 2GB over my limit instead of teling me when i went over by a MB. Thankfully, they dropped the charges.

It's ridiculous when you look at other tariffs with other companies that charge 1.46p for every MB you go over!

I'll let you off this time, and this time only.

Did you like how I highlighted it in red? The teachers loved doing that to me. They say revenge is a dish best served cold - I wholeheartedly disagree. :D:P>_<

Green is the colour of choice now. Apparently red is too 'demoralising' for the poor, ickle kiddies. :rolleyes:

So, not only have you subjected me to public humiliation, I'm now scarred for life and deeply traumatised by your Big Red Letters. :(

:cry:

Green is the colour of choice now. Apparently red is too 'demoralising' for the poor, ickle kiddies. :rolleyes:

So, not only have you subjected me to public humiliation, I'm now scarred for life and deeply traumatised by your Big Red Letters. :(

lol

Ok, as a reconciliation gesture, I've posted you some info on the laptop you're looking at :thumbup:

Still red at my school. Not that I ever get it done to my work :whistle:

I would consider getting one for on the road usage, a lot of photographers use these, if my (planned) career did go somewhere I guess one of these would come in handy. Would never have one for home use though, I am all about the speed!

Archived