Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jilly

How much has your music taste changed?

Assuming you've been buying or listening to music for at least 10 years, how much has your taste changed (if at all) Think back to your first and last choices. My original taste was for melodic Pop like Dionne Warwick, Neil Sedaka, early Beatles and although I like most stuff I'd still choose that today (if I could find it)

How about YOU :unsure:

Assuming you've been buying or listening to music for at least 10 years, how much has your taste changed (if at all) Think back to your first and last choices. My original taste was for melodic Pop like Dionne Warwick, Neil Sedaka, early Beatles and although I like most stuff I'd still choose that today (if I could find it)

How about YOU :unsure:

Mines not changed as much as WIDENED........ dont know if its an age thing but I used to be a bit of a Punk in my younger years and wouldnt listen to anything else. While I still love all that and still listen to it a lot I have a massively diverse CD Collection now that includes every kind of genre of music you could imagine! What I listen to depends on my mood too I guess.

I was first introduced to hip hop when I was 6 or 7. And 20 years later, it's still my favourite genre bar none.

I listen to the odd Coldplay and U2 songs, but I'm still a rap head.

The first record I ever purchased was Licensed to ill by the Beastie Boys over 20 years ago..... :blink: and within the last month I have purchased the remastered versions of Pauls Boutique and Check your Head by the Beastie Boys so the first and last have really stayed the same however I am Mr Eclectic and can't be confined to a single genre of music

Since I've been using Spotify I've found myself drawn to a lot of the pop pap I used to listen to as a child in the 80s. There's relatively little I'm ashamed of in my collection, and not much that I've disposed of, just a few things that I thought I'd never listen to ever again, like REM and Nirvana.

I think maybe your taste changes less once you're an adult, because you yourself don't change as much as when you're growing up. This is presumably why old duffers still like the stuff they did when they were a lot younger.

As you get older you're also better able to take a step back and make objective judgements on how much you actually like stuff, rather than just getting carried along with something that happens to be popular, which I'm sure we've all done at some stage - for example, when Oasis originally broke through, myself and practically everyone I knew bought the records, and now I don't think hardly any of us pay them even the slightest bit of attention (this is not a dig at Oasis or their fans, I hasten to add). This is the sort of behaviour that explains why I own Menswear records

Since I've been using Spotify I've found myself drawn to a lot of the pop pap I used to listen to as a child in the 80s. There's relatively little I'm ashamed of in my collection, and not much that I've disposed of, just a few things that I thought I'd never listen to ever again, like REM and Nirvana.

I think maybe your taste changes less once you're an adult, because you yourself don't change as much as when you're growing up. This is presumably why old duffers still like the stuff they did when they were a lot younger.

As you get older you're also better able to take a step back and make objective judgements on how much you actually like stuff, rather than just getting carried along with something that happens to be popular, which I'm sure we've all done at some stage - for example, when Oasis originally broke through, myself and practically everyone I knew bought the records, and now I don't think hardly any of us pay them even the slightest bit of attention (this is not a dig at Oasis or their fans, I hasten to add). This is the sort of behaviour that explains why I own Menswear records

i agree with most of that - but don't get me started on menswear, we had a few run ins with them when we were gigging!

i still love some of the bands i was into when i was a teenager - some music i just don't listen to now that i loved back then, but equally i have discovered so much that either never existed back then or i'd never hear about (god bless the internet!)

generally tho, my tastes are more mellow and less about the image of the band etc.

great post.

re menswear; 'gentleman jim' is great!

great post.

re menswear; 'gentleman jim' is great!

Why thankew.

I'm listening to that on Spotify. It sounds like 'Modern Life...' era Blur. Which is no bad thing.

I own that Daydreamer single, which is completely mysterious because I didn't even like it at the time

My musical taste has broadened, though from a fairly early age (18-19) I started veering away from mainstream chart music and exploring other stuff. My music collection goes from Elvis to Electric, from ABC to At The Drive-in, from Bewitched to Be Your Own Pet, from Kate Bush to Kanye West, from Frank Sinatra to Frank Black. I like the pop stuff that I has a youth, but more because of the memories that are attached to them. If those records were to come out now I think I'd dismiss over 80% of them!

Oh, I lied about the Bewitched by the way :thumbup:

You shouldn't lie about things like that. I was about to say fair play to you!

I own two Britney Spears singles and a Billie one. No, I really do

careful, let's not take this down the guilty pleasures thread, again.... believe me i can out do all of you, i'd imagine *coughmilancough*

one thing i have noticed is that when i was buying mainly CDs i bought certain types of music, and now my record player has died (yes M&D it finally had to go :cry: ) i'm not listening to as much music cause the stuff i have got on CD is mainly 90s indie, which i find a bit boring now-a-days - although mp3's are getting me through the tough patch

You shouldn't lie about things like that. I was about to say fair play to you!

I own two Britney Spears singles and a Billie one. No, I really do

If it's any consolation, on vinyl I have...

Living in a Box - Living in a Box

Captain of her Heart - Double

If I Was - Midge Ure

Transvision Vamp's first album

LOTS of Nick Kershaw, Howard Jones and The Housemartins

and in fairness I'd probably still play them though - but I'd need to be REALLY nostalgic to play my 7" of Everytime You Say Goodbye by Simply Red. I can remember arguing with my mum that it was better than the Ella Fitzgerald version she had! (Which kinda sums up how music tastes change - was it Val who said that as you mature you get to value the quality ahead of what's current.)

If I Was - Midge Ure

and in fairness I'd probably still play them though - but I'd need to be REALLY nostalgic to play my 7" of Everytime You Say Goodbye by Simply Red. I can remember arguing with my mum that it was better than the Ella Fitzgerald version she had! (Which kinda sums up how music tastes change - was it Val who said that as you mature you get to value the quality ahead of what's current.)

something like that - but then i own the 7" version of 'every loser wins' by nick berry... :unsure:

Confession time.

The first 2 albums i was bought for Christmas - Craig David and Destiny's Child.

Then i started listening to ... emo. So good to get that off my chest.

Craig David is a decent singer, so fair enough, but Destiny's Child lol

If I Was - Midge Ure

The Housemartins were probably the first band I was into that I still listen to now for reasons other than nostalgia.

My Sharp mono cassette recorder ate my Howard Jones tape.

There's nothing wrong with Destiny's Child!

im not buying Hard House records these days

i still dabble with hard house but dont buy anywhere near the amount i used to. been djing for 10 years but have got into house and techno more and more over the last couple of years.

10 years ago everyone seemed to be in to hard house but it really lost its appeal for most people...

anyway, i dont think my tastes have chnaged a great deal; more evolved as i've got older.

Archived