Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shen

Shens Mix

Shen’s Mix #4

There were a few last minute changes and shuffles as usual, but it’s done now. Tracklisting is as follows:

1. Mazurka – Abigail’s Ghost

2. Temple – Demians

3. Sane – Archive

4. Introducing Palace Players – Mew

5. Moan (Trentemøller remix) – Trentemøller

6. Dropp – Autechre

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

8. Waves Of Time – Nosound

9. Borgens Vor – Pure Reason Revolution

10. Abandoner – Steven Wilson

11. Release The Tether – The Pineapple Thief

12. Dead Dogs An’ All Sorts – Oceansize

13. Hours Of Wealth – Opeth

Total time: 50,2 Minutes

The download link is a bit tricky, it’s down to the right where it says “save file to your pc”

DOWNLOAD HERE

Enjoy!

Downloading. Probleh do it tomorrow. Or maybe really late tonight.

Which is technically tomorrow...

You're the CD Swap Vampire, you are! jumping right in there, drawing first blood :P

Nice little intro. 7/10

2. Temple – Demians

Didn't really get into this. Didn't dislike it at all. 6/10

3. Sane – Archive

Yeeeeh. Cool intro, nice beat. Quite like the vocals. Nice tone to the song. 7/10

Keep meaning to check Mew out. :rolleyes: Still haven't got round to it. Really good when it got going. 7/10

Surprisingly liked this. :)7/10

6. Dropp – Autechre

Really liked it until them random weird noises started. :P 6/10

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

Decent. This one kind of passed me by though. 6/10

Really liking this. Just a nice little instrumental thing, which I'm totally into. 8/10

Loved it when it kicked in. :cool:8/10

Steven Wilson is badass. Simple as. 8/10

Loved the guitar in this, in all parts of the song too. Soft and heavier. 8/10

'Mega'. 9/10

Liked the almost A cappela vocals. :P Loving the lead guitar later on too. 8/10

Come on people.

It's downloading - I also need to write my review of Mark's, which I've listened to a few times now. I'm thinking of reviewing mixes with "emoticons only" to speed things up!

For some reason, this made me think of an old Italian woman running in about the 50's. No idea why, just the vision it created. As an intro, quite like this. 6/10

2. Temple – Demians

Hmmm....seemed to get a bit boring. But then I like neon lights and techno songs so I'm bound to listen to this and not quite get it. 4/10

3. Sane – Archive

Like the intro, nice song this, will listen again as well. Good for the archive. 7/10

Didn't really like this, at times the tune sounded like it was stuck at the same place every time...if that's the right word. Got a bit frustrating. Like the vocals though. 4/10

Really love the intro, this song seemed a bit dreamy...like I could easily fall asleep listening to it - but not in a bad way, it's almost hypnotic. 7/10

6. Dropp – Autechre

Listening to this, I had the image of someone at Death Row being removed from their cell, their diary ripped up page by page and then given the electric chair. Disturbing :P 3/10

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

Loveed this actually, just craziness. 8/10

Passed me by a bit, maybe I'm just not in this mood. 4/10

Again, just a bit boring. Where's the excitement? Oh...here it is lol when it kicks in it's very decent. Glad I didn't skip it then :) 7/10

Was alright. 6/10

Wasn't bad this, love it when it gets more lively. 6/10

Meh, nothing special. 5/10

Really good about 1:00, and it feels like it's building up to something, and I'm sitting there thinking WOW...it's about to go mental, or my mouse is going to start attacking me or I'm going to blow up or something...and it just didn't. 7/10

6. Dropp – Autechre

Disturbing :P

Where's the excitement?

Really good about 1:00, and it feels like it's building up to something, and I'm sitting there thinking WOW...it's about to go mental, or my mouse is going to start attacking me or I'm going to blow up or something...and it just didn't. 7/10

Re #1: Actually wanted to make the whole mix an eerie, disturbing, mind-fuck one, but thought it'd be too much

Re #2: See #1, left out the churning riffs on purpose. My first CD Swap mix had a lot of those if that's your thing!

Re #3: Check out "Hessian Peel" by them, that should do the trick ;)

Cheers!

I got a grainy image of being at a funfair, where all the clowns are evil. If that makes sense. 6/10

2. Temple – Demians

I liked this a lot. Catchy stuff. 8/10

3. Sane – Archive

It was alright. Nothing special. 6/10

Not keen i'm afraid. Did absolutley nothing for me. 3/10

This bored me in all honesty, picked up a little towards the end. 2/10

6. Dropp – Autechre

In my opinion this was spoiled by the constant 'ripping paper' noises, the backing track is quite bearable. 4/10

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

Hopefully the mix is picking up a bit now. A nice little song. 6/10

I dunno. It needed me to be in the right mood, and right now, apparently I'm not. 2/10

Slow start, but fook me when it gets going it's brilliant :D 9/10

Need to get some more stuff from this dude. I liked a lot 8/10

Slow starter again, much like track 9, but when it gets going it's epic. 8/10

I liked it. 6/10

Love it. 9/10

Overall verdict - A good mixture here Shen, I didn't like a few, but what I did like was great. 6/10

Thank you Shen

I'm sure this'll be as progressive as always from shen :P

6/10

2. Temple – Demians

Not bad at all 7/10

3. Sane – Archive

Wasn't that keen on the vocals 5/10

"Keep meaning to check Mew out." as have I, for years lol Nice song though, liked the ending 7/10

Not really for me 4/10

6. Dropp – Autechre

It was alright, always been meaning to look into them but all I've heard has kinda put me off :P 5/10

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

This is much better, is the only song I'd heard previously on this mix and one of my favourites of his 8/10

Some nice ambience :P 7/10

Nope didn't enjoy this at all! :/ 2/10

I liked this, second half of the song was excellent. 8/10

2/10

Good song, they sound like a band I'd like but its never quite happened :P 7/10

This was good up till the singing but I wasn't keen on it from then on 4/10

So pretty much hit & miss. But it seems there's something in there for everyone, so I'm happy :)

I'm sure this'll be as progressive as always from shen :P

Good song, they sound like a band I'd like but its never quite happened :P 7/10

:whistle:

Unfortunate, as they've done a lot of good stuff. I've put their heavier songs in these mixes, but their soft post-rock songs are arguably even better..

Having trouble downloading this. Any tips? It won't let me click on anything.

It still works fine for me. When you open the link, there's a small link in the bottom right corner that says 'click here'. An ad will pop up, but you just have to close it and then it allows you to save the file to your pc ;)

It still works fine for me. When you open the link, there's a small link in the bottom right corner that says 'click here'. An ad will pop up, but you just have to close it and then it allows you to save the file to your pc ;)

Cheers, Stez has downloaded it now so I'll take a listen of his :thumbup:

Mazurka – Abigail’s Ghost

Cool little intro. Leads nicely into the first proper track and makes it feel like you're listening to an album.

Temple – Demians

Yeah this is ok although it didn't really make an impression on me. Well put together but not much else. Nice sounds at the end though! 5

Sane – Archive

Ooh, hello. This sounds interesting. Good distorted drums and a unique sound overall. Like that bass line rolling away in the background. Not really something I'd find myself listening to but enjoyable nevertheless. 6

Introducing Palace Players – Mew

Stop start beat is cool. In fact so far this compilation is generally very cool and am intrigued to see what is left as I'm hopeful it's going to veer into the electronic world. As for this tune it's kind of funky as well - hmm, the vocal just came in. Now I'm not so sure, bit of a weedy voice doesn't do the actual music justice. 6

Moan (Trentemøller remix) – Trentemøller

Here we go. Loving this. Not sure it follows on that well from the previous track but to be honest who gives a fuck this tune is wicked. Ooooh, there's the bass. This is a keeper and a half. Quality. 9

Dropp – Autechre

I have an Autechre album. Can't remember the name but I'm yet to give it a proper listen. This is challenging music so I'm immediately left intrigued by it. Has Aphex Twin influences (look who's next!). Not sure what else to say only that it kind of demands another listen. 7

4 – Aphex Twin

Ahh good old Richard D. James. Autechre flows very nicely into this. I'm a big, big fan of his work even though I don't listen to much anymore. He's one of the most talented, innovative artists in music, nevermind just IDM and electronic. This is a great tune. 8

Waves Of Time – Nosound

Aphex leads nicely into this piece of ambience. I'm guessing this is more a filler into the next part of the compilation, as a track it was ok. 5

Borgens Vor – Pure Reason Revolution

More interesting stuff shen. No one could describe this mix as boring that's for sure. Wide range of styles and a constantly innovative, fresh sound. This kind of fits into the "glad I heard it but not sure I'd listen to it again" - haha just as I write that the beat kicks in and then the vocals. Still, I stand by what I said, don't think I'd listen to it again. 5

Abandoner – Steven Wilson

Sounds like a beat Portishead would do which can't be a bad thing. In fact this sounds kind of like Portishead without Beth. I'd be up for hearing some more of his stuff, can't say I've ever heard of him. Hectic end! 7

Release The Tether – The Pineapple Thief

This is quality. Love the use of synths with guitars. Great crossover sound. And the absence of vocals makes a pleasant change. 7

Dead Dogs An’ All Sorts – Oceansize

Another cool song, kind of in the same vein as the last one I guess. I imagine Mark would like this, having just listened to his compilation. I like it too. 7

Hours Of Wealth – Opeth

Beautiful end. 8

========

It was really interesting listening to your mix straight after Mark's. Whereas Mark's was quite consistent throughout I felt yours had more variation, more styles to keep me on my toes. But on the other hand whereas I didn't really dislike any of Mark's as such there were a few tracks on here I was pretty indifferent to. That Trentemøller tune is one of the best I've heard in this entire CD Swap though. What I liked most about this compilation though is that it didn't feel like it was restricted my any genres, it was just music you like, whatever it happened to be. I got that impression of freedom throughout which made it even more satisfying. Good stuff.

Overall 8

Cheers James, that was well flattering! :blush:

A little note on the Demians track: I mainly picked that to expose him a bit. It's one guy who played all the instruments and composed it all, but since he's only released one album so far, track choices were limited. There are only a couple of tracks under 5 minutes, and knowing the FT crowd I played it safe and went for the one that blended in nicely with Mazurka ;)

Oh, and I'm impressed if you actually typed out Trentemøller :P

Cheers James, that was well flattering! :blush:

A little note on the Demians track: I mainly picked that to expose him a bit. It's one guy who played all the instruments and composed it all, but since he's only released one album so far, track choices were limited. There are only a couple of tracks under 5 minutes, and knowing the FT crowd I played it safe and went for the one that blended in nicely with Mazurka ;)

Oh, and I'm impressed if you actually typed out Trentemøller :P

Copy and paste! Downloaded The Last Resort last night and was listening to it on the way to work this morning. Loved "Take Me Into Your Skin"... great tune. Look forward to hearing the rest of it.

If you have any other Trentemøller recommendations let me know, keen to hear more.

Copy and paste! Downloaded The Last Resort last night and was listening to it on the way to work this morning. Loved "Take Me Into Your Skin"... great tune. Look forward to hearing the rest of it.

If you have any other Trentemøller recommendations let me know, keen to hear more.

of course :P

Harbour Boat Trips <-- Haven't listened to this yet. This can give you an indication of what it sounds like. I can also recommend The Trentemøller Chronicles and the various EPs he's released ;)

Here's the good faith...

Thanks to topsy-turvy tracklisting, this was my outro rather than an intro :rolleyes: but still nice and it works :thumbup: . Sure this is used in Team Fortress 2 though.

2. Temple – Demians

This one was decent without really moving me.

3. Sane – Archive

Interesting... it has that early 90 Manchester-scene sound, reminded me of a band called World of Twist. Which is all groovey!

For me this was one of the weaker tracks. For some reason the stilted guitar really annoyed me.

Stand out track! Loved it and will find more Trentemøller stuff. I see he's worked with Röyksopp a few times, which can't be bad.

6. Dropp – Autechre

Was ok... ok?

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

I'm familiar with Mr A. Twin, but this wasn't one of his finer moments I feel. To me it was a little too scat and syncopated.

On my eMusic "saved for later" list (100+ strong :frusty: ) I have a Nosound album. Liked the last effort that you post on your last mix (think it was you Shen) and this has only increased my desire to get that album when I can.

I liked this until the vocals came in - then they stopped and I liked it again. The singing just seemed a little... I dunno... High School Musical?

I loved this! Does it sample the backing track of "Teardrops" by Massive Attack? (Though, thinking about it, that may well be a sample too) It's between this and Trentemøller for track of the mix. Reminded me of UNKLE at their best.

In the last mix I said I didn't really like The Pineapple Thief, but I thought they had possibilties (I think I did anyway). Well this was possibly better. Nice track, interesting, plenty going on.

You had some Oceansize on the last mix and I think I said I was unsure. Now I'm sure... I'm sure that I'm still unsure! :P

Good song and I see that it works better as a finalé than an intro (oops! :blush: ) Though the guitar reminds me a little of the riff that plays during the "Riggs embarrasses Murtaugh" scenes in the Lethal Weapon movies.

A good mix as always Shen, plenty to look up and I look forward to your next effort! Tak! :thumbup:

Sure this is used in Team Fortress 2 though.

Really? That would surprise me greatly as they are virtual unknowns. I would've heard about it too, if it were the case, but I'll ask a member next time...

For me this was one of the weaker tracks. For some reason the stilted guitar really annoyed me.

It's their first single from their yet unreleased album, which was a reason for its selection

Does it sample the backing track of "Teardrops" by Massive Attack?

I don't think it does, although I can see where you come from

You had some Oceansize on the last mix and I think I said I was unsure. Now I'm sure... I'm sure that I'm still unsure! :P

Haha, having a hard time convincing people about them. I might give it one last shot next time with a mellower track, altough I should probably give it a rest :P

Yeah, interesting enough. Not an awful lot going on but an eerie haunted-fairground kind of sound, it's a bit different.

2. Temple – Demians

Hate his voice, the lyrics are annoying and the music is a bit MOR. Not a fan.

3. Sane – Archive

Sounds a bit like Kasabian. Despite that, I like it. :P

They've obviously thought about it. Not my bag though.

Fantastic. Best song of other people's swaps so far I'd say.

6. Dropp – Autechre

Not fussed.

7. 4 – Aphex Twin

Superb.

S'alright. Not enough really happening to reel me in though.

lol I like it. My Dad would love this (not intended as an insult!)

Love the start. Good layering of the pleading vocals, sparse percussion and haunting melody (I've never worked for the NME, believe it or not). Went somewhere interesting as well, I like this a lot.

Not for me. Reminds me a bit of Tool maybe? Only going from memory of early teenage years, probably inaccurate.

Actually liked this. Gets much better halfway through without the vocals.

Sounds like a Scandinavian heavy metal band. Just the name of the band, I mean. Interesting intro. Yeah , I like this. Not sure about the vocals, I like the overall feel of it though.

---

Sorry, crap review. I usually like to be far more thorough than that. Got no time these days though and find it difficult to keep up with these. When you have loads of music you want to listen to and no time to even listen to what you want to let alone what someone else likes, sitting through these can become a bit of a chore at times. But Trentemoller and Steven Wilson here in particular made it all worthwhile. A few absolute gems (for my taste) that I'd never otherwise have heard. Cheers.

Archived