Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

Fez | CD Swap 4 | Mix 9

DOWNLOAD

Tracklisting

1. The Middle East - The Darkest Side

2. Caribou - Hello Hammerheads

3. Vetiver - You May Be Blue

4. Eardrum Kru feat. Wunna - Mute

5. Booka Shade - Charlotte

6. The Presets - Cookie

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

8. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Gibbous

9. Speech Defect feat. Thes One - Got It Good

10. Father Abraham - HIAFC

11. Free The Robots - Yoga Fire

12. Professor Murder - Free Stress Test

13. Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters and Wives

14. Future of the Left - Stand By Your Manatee

15. The Gun Club - Sex Beat

16. My Awesome Mixtape - Me and the Washing Machine

Really sodding good. Great vocals. 8/10

Not bad. Nice tone overall, not mad about it though. 6/10

The rhythm of the song reminds me of 'Fire' by Kasabian. Decent, but again I didn't love it. 6/10

Like the vocals but not so much the music. A lot better as it went on. fooking awful name for a band/artist though. 7/10

Not for me. 4/10

6. The Presets - Cookie

Same really. 5/10

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

*Shudders* Same again. 3/10

I saw these guys on Jools and they were pretty swell. Decent, just not my ting blad. 6/10

Alright. 6/10

Liked this more than the last one. 7/10

6/10

Loved it compared to the last few. 7/10

Checked these out a bit last week but didn't really like what I heard. This was good though, just not quite an 8. :P7.9/10

Didn't expect it to be like this from the title, thought it'd be more like No. 7. :P Enjoyed it though. 7/10

Quite liked it. Liked the DOMBADOMBADOMBOMBABA 7/10

These CD swaps, has anyone done one with pure house electro beats in, or is the majority of it indy?
I think James's mix last time round was something like that..

Uho!

Oh, and damn m4a files won't sync to my walkman. I'll have to sit at my PC and listen! :( Like the Darkest Side though! :thumbup: (All I've heard so far.)

Patience is a virtue :P

Here is my review of Fez's mix... by the medium of pictures and emoticons!

3131228446_2400bce2f7_m.jpg:thumbup:

3466757434_a50abe36c7_m.jpg:yesyes:

Sounded like The Beta Band

2223508281_91daf874d5_m.jpg:ermm:

2290612922_a7ac391299_m.jpg:dance: :dance:

62804593_10cad1dcbf_m.jpg:thumbup:

6. The Presets - Cookie

2586989736_2d3a2668f6_m.jpg:punk::worship:

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

2110975535_65b0fcd3fc_m.jpg:/

140728189_34bbda690f_m.jpg:nono: :eek:

103135730_22674ef55b_m.jpg:yawn:

2183362669_d5d110ce98_m.jpg

Nice to know he can still get the work! :D Features the word "erstwhile", which I love so therefore, :thumbup:

And the rest... (wouldn't let me do all the pics in one reply :rolleyes: )

272384779_90f74cff62_m.jpg:dunno:

35040926_ab61f02f32_m.jpg:thumbdown:

887939010_b38d3376a9_m.jpg:dunno::unsure::dunno:

3315019879_553a50cc7c_m.jpg:jump: :jump:

42340871_36bd53f2f3_m.jpg:) :)

2999690784_9d96e281d2_m.jpg:dunno:

I really, really like this song. It's not the most upbeat, joyous start to a compilation I've heard so I'm not sure to what extent this sets the mood for the rest, but it is one of the most beautiful. The acoustic guitar over the sometimes layered vocals works really well. My only criticism is possibly that as it remains much the same throughout it is maybe a touch too long. 8

Firstly this links well with the previous track. Similar sort of sound with the rolling acoustic guitar and dreamy vocals. Not sure about the humming or whatever they're doing and this one doesn't quite capture me like the first track. Still, an enjoyable tune. 7

I get the feeling this mix is building to something. Each track is just a touch more upbeat than the previous one. It's a really cool effect actually, not sure if you were going for that but if you were then I doth my cap to you. Again I like this without loving it. There's a bit of funk in there which I like but it is maybe a bit drony at times. 7

Ooh hello, we're on my kind of ground now. I thought it was leading somewhere like this. This sounds quality on my headphones, really crisp drums and cool little blips and bleeps. The vocal is pretty good, not too much of it and the bass when it comes in proper is a nice sound. Yeah man I like this a lot, never heard of them either. 8

Obviously these boys are legends. You know the production will be spot on but how does the track make you feel. So far so good, I'm really liking this sort of music at the minute. Took me awhile to get back into the 4x4 beats but there's definitely a place for this in my collection. Small criticism is I tend to prefer things a bit darker and harder but this would be quality for strolling around London too, if not necessarily in a club. 7

6. The Presets - Cookie

Funny because if anything I would rather hear this in a club than on my headphones so the opposite of Booka Shade tune. Still, at least I'd rather hear it somewhere than not at all. It's a very cool tune but maybe a bit hectic for Saturday morning listening... 7

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

Very funky, reminds me a bit of Prince. To be honest this is probably the weakest track so far, I don't like the way the bloke sings, it's a bit, I dunno, urrrgh after everything he says, gurggghhl instead of girl for example. Know what I mean. It annoys me. Like the bass and drums though. 6

I have a special place for brass ensembles as I played for one for years in my younger days. Very much in the vein of Youngblood Brass Band. This is quality, makes me want to pick up my trumpet again. If they weren't £700 then I probably would have. Maybe I'll go and see a brass band instead. Like this a lot. 8

A solid hip hop tune. Bit of a J5 feel to it in that it's good, clean hip hop, not a bitch or a nigga in sight and it rolls along very nicely. I'm not a huge fan of this track but tbat's probably because I'm really not listening to much hip hop at the minute. Would definitely want to hear an album for when I get back into it. 7

Hmm, yeah, like I said, I'm not really feeling hip hop. I do like this slightly left of centre hip hop though but only when I'm in the right mood, and that isn't now. I want more Booka Shade and Ear Drum Kru! 6

Sounds like something off Ninja Tune. Actually if this isn't on Ninja Tune I'd be surprised. Hold on I know this. What the fuck? Where do I know that little melody that gets played around 1:30ish. Nughtmares on Wax, that's where. It's well similar to a tune off Carboot Soul. Anyway, yeah I really like this, the Asian influences work well. 7

Variety seems to be the name of the game. It's all stubbornly original, diverse music and I really like the vast majority of it. We've gone through quite a few genres. I don't even know where this would fit, which can't be a bad thing. I like it. 7

I know you know what I'll think about this tune.

I was expecting something very different from a band called Future of the Left. Bit shouty and those bloody guitar things have to come and ruin everything don't they. 5

Oh I see you're finishing off with lots of guitars. Damn you! To be fair this is much better than the previous two tracks. Still... and it's time to use my favourite line... it's just not my thing. 6

This track HAS to be good. You can't have the words washing and machine in the title without it being a bit special. Definitely sounds like a last track... the sort of tune they'd play as the credits roll and everyone let's out a satisfied sigh that they've just been through something very enjoyable. The guy has an annoying voice but it's quirky, funny and as far as this stuff goes I like it. In fact I would probably dance like a bit of an idiot if I heard it again. Good end. 7

========

Probably the most diverse, eclectic mix I've heard in any of these CD Swaps. I remember you saying in response to one of my mixes that you spread yourself too thinly with music. Well it seems to me that while you may not have changed you do seem to have a knack of listening to the best stuff from the genres you listen to. I didn't like every track, particularly the ones at the end but overall it was a pleasure to listen to. Eardum Kru and The Middle East were particular highlights. And most importantly it had the same freedom that shen's had - music for music's sake.

Overall 8

1. The Middle East - The Darkest Side - Couldn't find this song on Spotify or Youtube. Sorry.

2. Caribou - Hello Hammerheads - I do like Caribou and have done for a while, but they can get a bit too sickly quite quickly. I like this track though. One of there best. 7/10 (Have you heard Hot Chip remix She's The One?)

3. Vetiver - You May Be Blue - :yawn: poor. 4/10

4. Eardrum Kru feat. Wunna - Mute - Couldn't find this but if its anything like thier other songs on youtube - 6/10 at most.

5. Booka Shade - Charlotte - Me likey. 8/10

6. The Presets - Cookie - I already knew i liked The Presets, this is aces. This boy's in love :D 8/10

7. Plantlife - Love Toy - Couldn't find this song.

8. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Gibbous - Shockingly poor. 0/10

9. Speech Defect feat. Thes One - Got It Good - EPIC! 8/10

10. Father Abraham - HIAFC - Couldn't find this song.

11. Free The Robots - Yoga Fire - S'ok. 6/10

12. Professor Murder - Free Stress Test - S'aite - 7/10

13. Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters and Wives - Like Presets, i already know i like this. 8/10

14. Future of the Left - Stand By Your Manatee - Livid that i'll miss these at SSW. Great song. 9/10

15. The Gun Club - Sex Beat - Not as good as the title would suggest. 6/10

16. My Awesome Mixtape - Me and the Washing Machine - I prefer My Awesome Compillation. 5/10

As always half the album is pretty good and the other half should never be listened by anybody ever. Therefore half marks - 5/10 I am missing a few tracks though.

Smuts you must listen to about 30 seconds of these tracks.... lol

I didn't listen to the ones i've already heard such as Presets/Voxtrot and i couldn't find a bunch of them. And the rest i turned off after a minute or so for being so shit. Listened to about 4 all the way through :P

I sort of liked this, simple but quite effective. Went on a touch too long for my liking though. 6/10

Not too bad this, either. I think the vocals are really nice towards the end...the sort of ahhh-ahhh-ahhhh-ahhhhh-ahh ummmmm-ummmm-ummmm. That was a useless portrayal of it, but I hope you understand what I'm getting at :P 7.10

Hardly noticed this was on, one of those which repeated a few times until I realised. Probably not such a bad thing though, although it clearly didn't grab me, which I like music to do 4/10

I really love the sound effects on this, trying to think what it reminds me of. For some reason, I was thinking 'creatures in a pond lol '....Haa. But anyway, it's a good listen this, 7/10

Again, loving the SE's. A few of these songs just need something else though, although I'm not sure what. This one in particular becomes quite repetitive. 5/10

6. The Presets - Cookie

Liked this a bit more, :laugh: disco delicious.com? Haaa. Well it's good stuff anyway, and the vocals are very likable. 7/10

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

I'm not really keen on the vocals when it just sounds like a bloke having a 4 minute orgasm. The guitar, especially towards the end, is very nice though. 6/10

I'm useless with determining what an instrument is, but I'm guessing this main one is a trumpet? lol Well, anyway it sounded alright but maybe a little overpowering. 6/10

Erm, not my sort of thing at all. Listened to the whole thing but not to my taste. 3/10

Was alright 6/10

The tune itself is quite catchy, sounds like it should be in a Japanese advert or something though :P. I thought the vocals were terrible lol , still a bit of a tune though 5/10

The intro is fooking amazing. Really liked that. The vocals are great as well, in fact everything in this song seems to fit really well. Love the sound effect at around 2:30 as well when that kicks in. Has a good pace this song, too. It's got pretty much everything, and not too long? Bingo. Absolutely brilliant. 10/10

Were ok, feel i could appreciate that a bit more with a few listens. 6/10

Decent 7/10

Again, were ok but just didn't really do a lot for me. 5/10

Nice ending 7/10.

At times I did find it awesome, there was nothing I absolutely hated, but there were a good few that were a bit hit and miss.

Still, a good listen, and the Professor Murder track was probably my 3rd favourite of the whole CD swap so far, behind Salem Al Fakir and Kutless.

Not the kind of thing I expected you to like actually Fez. Pleasantly surprised anyway, it's a very nice introduction to the mix. Probably the sort of thing I'd go and look for a tab for actually, beautiful acoustic riff running throughout.

Follows on nicely from the previous track. Not as enjoyable as the opening track for me, but it was still pleasant to listen to nonethless. Also can't help but feel it's a little bit samey throughout, but maybe that's just me.

Takes a little while to build up, but there's some lovely guitar work eventually. You're just teasing me here now Fez, I know it, I'm just waiting for something big to arrive soon.

Oh yessss, I was expecting (and hoping) something like this to come along soon. Sort of a blend of Hot Chip and Simian Mobile Disco which works superbly. Never heard of these before, but it's the kind of thing that I love at the minute. Definitely looking more into these, any recommendations?

Again, love it. I'm finding stuff like this all the time on different blogs (try Asian Dan if you haven't already) at the moment, and liking a lot of what I find in the electronic scene at the moment.

6. The Presets - Cookie

Yeah, this is pretty decent. Wouldn't say I enjoyed it as much as the previous two tracks, but I've listened to it a few times now and I definitely enjoy it more now I've heard it more than once.

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

Bringing out the funk now. Can't help but be slightly annoyed by the singers voice (a bit Prince-esque to me), but there's enough elsewhere to make me enjoy it. I like the trumpets and bass guitar particularly. Interesting little guitar solo in there as well, pretty nice.

Ever since James introduced me to Youngblood Brass Band and Hot 8 Brass Band I've had a soft spot for brass collaborations such as this one. And again, I find this absolutely superb. I always appreciate musicians who are good at playing their own instrument, but ones who can put together ensembles like this just impress me immensely. I'd happily pay money to go and watch a brass band like this.

Guess this is what you'd call a "proper" hip-hop track. No idea how old this track is, but it strikes me more as something from an era gone by rather than some of the modern hip-hop around today. I enjoyed it a lot anyway, great stuff.

Haha, love it. Kind of reminds me a bit of the Danger Doom track that Jay had on his last FT Mix, which I really liked. Hip-hop's not really a genre I've explored to a great extent before, which is a shame because what I've heard I've really enjoyed listening to. "Gotta get up to get down"? Heard that somewhere before.

A bit indifferent for me really, not as exciting as most of the other tracks on here. Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly dislike it, I just wasn't as enthused by it as much of the rest of this mix.

Reminds me of Friendly Fires actually, which is definitely a good thing for me. Never heard of these before either, quite possibly something I'd look into a bit more if the rest is like this.

Definitely heard of these before, it may be that somebody off here has already put one of their tracks in a mix previous to this. Anyway, I liked this as well. I thought it was going to be a bit shit when I heard the intro, but I was wrong. Grew as the track went on into somethig I reall enjoyed.

Heard a bit about these before, so I wasn't expecting anything like this. Have to admit I didn't really like what I heard here, probably a bit like the Hives at best. However, I did appreciate it a bit more near the end when the bass finally kicked in.

Nahhhh, doesn't really do a lot for me. Thankfully the last couple of tracks have been quite short. Just didn't enjoy this one, sorry Fez!

I wasn't liking where this mix was going before this, so I'm glad this track has come along. I have no idea about the thought processes of somebody who decides to one day say, "Hey, I know what to call our next track", and then roll out this title. As for the song itself, I thought it was a very nice way to end this mix, much better than I thought it was going to be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate, I loved this. It's brilliantly put together to link and incorporate the many different genres that it possesses, and for this alone I applaud you. I would have loved to have seen more tracks like the Eardrum and Booka Shade ones, but I appreciate that you didn't want to create a one-dimensional mix that would only suit certain people's tastes. Aside from a couple of tracks at the end I really liked virtually every single track, and this has probably been my favourite mix ever to be quite honest. Much food for thought, cheers.

I actually considered putting a song by this band on one of my mixes, I like them alot 8/10

Good song 7/10

Brilliant, loved the guitar + vocals. 8/10

Wasn't into it at all till the last minute and a half which was abit better. 5/10

It's listenable in the right mood, maybe I just find this kind of thing boring and repetitive 4/10

6. The Presets - Cookie

Don't like electro, but I liked it! :o 7/10

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

2/10

Each to their own :P 1/10

Hip hop does nowt for me 1/10

As above 1/10

Better than the last 4 songs but I'm struggling to like it 3/10

alright 5/10

Decent 5/10

4/10

Not bad. 6/10

I thought I might like this but the vocals are abit offputting! 4/10

Apart from the middle section it was a decent listen overall, I liked the first 3 songs most!

I know I've been dragging my feet doing a review (it'll come!) for this one, but ironically it's the mix I've heard most times along with Joe's! So obviously mostly good things to say about this, which is what I've come to expect of Fez's mixes :thumbup:

Nice start, has a calming effect which I like. Maybe a bit too long. 7/10

My views are similar to before (bar the length), nice track but wouldn't listen to it again. 6/10

I got slightly bored half way through this. I sound abit like a hypocrite because I'm not a good judge on genre's I wouldn't normally listen too. 5/10

Ha I actually like this, quality sound effects especially when it gets to 2.307/10

Ah yes, groovy. 7/10

6. The Presets - Cookie

Liked this but not as much as the last track, still nice. 6/10

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

I think the main vocalist's voice is annoying but I spose It fits well with the instruments.. 4/10

Sounds nice but it really isn't my cup of tea 6/10

This is nice, not a fan of it though tbh. 5/10

My sentiments are echoed in the last song 5/10

Better than the last two for me, nice catchy tune.6/10

This is OK if you like the genre5/10

Liked this tbh, one of the best on the mix for me 7/10

Ah very nice :)7/10

Its just quite like the previous tracks, forgettable. 6/10

Nice ending7/10

Enjoyed it to be honest, few tracks I liked a lot :)

Better late than never!

A nice and gentle opener, which could also work as a closer. It stirs up surprisingly different emotions, and still feels a bit mysterious after many listens. I like it!

Another subdued song that is strangely catchy. The message is not quite clear as the lyrics and the music don't match in my ears, which makes me ponder :P

These songs feel familiar, but when it comes to it they make one feel quite uncomfortable. What seems like a catchy beat and hook to begin with turns into this almost haunting thing. For some reason, the famous imagery of a person getting lost walking around in circles in a dark wood pops into my head when I hear this. Disturbingly good song.

I had a big smile on my face when I heard this! The first thing that popped into my head was "Underworld! I could've mistaken this as a song from Underneath The Radar. Especially when the synth sounds around 1:50-2:10 start. Don't quite know what to think of the song, as I feel it's bordering on rip-off, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and go with an OK here.

Great connection here from the previous song. Excellent tune! These songs have a tendency to become repetitive after a short while, but there are enough breaks and changes in this to keep it interesting all the way through. Another good effort.

6. The Presets - Cookie

You've really emphasized the simple heavy beats so far, which is all good. It's difficult not to sing along! I like the 'slightly late' vocals when he sings the chorus. Very decent.

7. Plantlife - Love Toy

Another infectuous beat and hook. Unfortunately, I don't give much for those imitation-Prince vocals. Too bad, the rest is good though.

I'm with James and Joe on this. I find this kind of stuff excellent. Personally I don't understand how this can be disliked. Lots of pace, different sounds, superb musicianship and it sounds so fresh. My girlfriend has asked me to get more of this stuff after she heard it.

I've expressed my dislike of hiphop before, so this'll never be my favourite. But because it's on Fez' mix, I KNOW it has some quality to it, and indeed, this is one of the better hiphop songs I've heard in a long while. The ending words are silly though, I wish they'd stop all that 'in da house' nonsense stuff they say/sing at the beginning or end of songs.

It's definitely listenable, as expected, but it's really not down my street.

Didn't enjoy this as much as the FTR effort on your previous mix, but I like how they fusion different stuff into their music. The turn it takes at 0:50 made me think it was venturing into hiphop (I wouldn't be surprised if that 30-45 second bit was sampled and used later in a hiphop song actually), but the vocals that do eventually show up, could've been spared imo. Had potential to go on and take another turn, but it just fizzes out into nothing.

I shouldn't like this because of the dodgy vocals, but I do... I guess I've listened to this mix so much already that the familiarity has made me appreciate it more. Another strongly beat-emphasized song, which seems to be a common denominator for the vast majority of the songs on here.

Hmmm, probably the first song on the mix that has left me indifferent. The vocals again were a bit of a let down, and the rest isn't good enough to keep me interested.

Too many punk references for my liking, but I've grown to tolerate the shouting and to like the song as a whole. Needed many listens!! I still think it sounds shit when he belts out between 0:50 and 1:15. But the rest is quite ok, especially the funky bass towards the end is excellent!!

Nah, this left me very indifferent too. The bass is much too subdued, making the guitar having an 'annoying mosquito'-effect.

Baaa Badaaaa Badababaaa bada bada bada :P This song obviously had to be picked with that band & song name and cheesy music with an annoying Wheatus voice!

--------------------------

First of all, this was another great mix with a seamless flow and the changes in style and genre didn't feel out of place at all. That's probably down to the beat theme you've chosen for this, which was quite original :) I'm hoping you'll come up with some more challenging songs next time like the first three ones on here. But that's three of your mixes I've liked a lot so far, so it's almost a guarantee I'll like whatever you throw at us next time. Sorry for the late late review, but I was too busy enjoying it :P

Archived