Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Messi

Derby Player Ratings!

Weale -7- Can't give him more because he wasn't troubled by Derby shooting

Naughton -8- His speed caused penalty and he was a constant threat down the right

Davies -7- Good going forward but sometimes out of position

Hobbs -7- Much improved

Cunningham -7- Overlapped well, defended quite well

Abe -7- Capable performance

Wellens -9- Man of the match, ran the show, great pass for King goal

King -8- Great run into scoring position, never stopped running

Gallagher -8- Showed what he is capable of

Vassell -6- Still not fully match fit, prefer Dyer at the moment

Howard -8- Led the line well

Dyer -8- Caused problems with his pace and willingness to take defenders on

Waghorn -6- Not on for long but kept the ball well

From the game...

Weale 6.5. Very little to do so very difficult to mark him up. what he had to do, mostly mopping up balls played long by Derby he did fine, long kicking is improving but still a bit erratic but he payed his defenders into trouble two or three times with poor short clearances and throws.

Naughton 7.5. Very decent, got forward a lot and was rarely troubled defensively. Still had the energy late on to get forward and win the penalty.

Davies 7.5. Looked pretty much in control and is a threat in forward positions, on occasion seems to be over confident, sometimes worryingly so, no harm done today though.

Hobbs 6.5. Much better, though rarely put under real pressure. Covered Davies well enough when he pushed forward, only really looked ill at ease for a short period in the second half when Derby launched a series of attacks down our left flank.

Cunningham 7. Was excellent for about an hour but then seemed to catch the jitters from Hobbs as Derby attacked the two of them down our left. They looked vulnerable for a while but nothing much came from the Derby pressure.

King 7.5. Typical King game, scored once, could have had a second and popped up with effective contributions in both boxes. Deferred to Wellens in midfield much of the time.

Abe 7.5. Played the holding role with the minimum of fuss, closed down options, covered his team mates and barely let Commons have a kick. A few miss placed passes second half marred a near excellent performance.

Wellens 8. Very good, best performance I have seen from him in a very long time, still dwells too long on the ball and hits 'telegraphed' passes but much less so than in recent games, good assist but needs to be more assertive in and arount the oppositions box.

Vassell 7. Fast out of the blocks at the start of both halfs, drifted somewhat out of the game as the first half went on, might have been different had his excellent early goal been allowed, looked a close call to me though I was not in a position to really tell.

Howard 7. Outstandingly fiesty and competitive performance, his prescence simply makes me wonder just how decent we would be with a center forward who can actually play and score a few goals.

Gallagher 8. Much of our best attacking play came through him and he even worked pretty hard defensively. Still want to see him more central but that is not going to happen anytime soon. Set piece delivery is still poor and with Waghorn absent he took most everything. Someone needs to say the magic words, 'let Abe have this one'. and soon.

Dyer 7.5. Took over where Vassell left off, pacy and energetic but still not enough end product.

Waghorn n/a.

Decent overall performance, no real standouts but no real weaknesses either, good team effort.

Weale 7: Had to catch the ball occasionally but did not have to make a real save at any time during the match.

Naughton 9: So composed and calm on the ball, defended very well and drove forward into the opposition box at every opportunity, including the run that resulted in the penalty, after which we had a comfortable time. I rate him as one of our very best players and we need to sign him permanently.

Davies 8: Excellent rapport with Naughton, defended very well indeed.

Hobbs 8: Back to his old form, solid tactical defending with some excellent long balls forward.

Cunningham 7: Good reliable defending and good with the ball in going forward.

Gallagher 7: Always traps and controls the ball very well, always has more opportunities to change the game than he is able to take. No assists or goals this time.

King 9: Has to have maximum credit for his reading of the game and the goal. He put himself in exactly the right position for Wellens’s cross and hit it well.

Abe 7: Very effective defensive non flamboyant midfield role.

Wellens 9: A superb performance, the best tackler on the pitch, controlled the midfield and created the first goal with a perfect pass to King.

Vassell 7: Worked hard and managed to get behind their defence on a number of occasions. Currently not as threatening as Dyer.

Howard 10: Inspirational performance, our most effective centre forward in Sven’s 433 system, significantly more threatening than Waghorn, dominated in the air by winning all his headers, drove the team forward from the front and never stopped working hard. Scored another penalty. I can’t understand those who do not rate Howard.

Subs

Dyer 8: Would have got a good individual goal but for a good save, showed his pace, willingness and ability in taking on the opposition.

Waghorn: Too brief an appearance.

Referee 8: Bit lenient in first half but got the penalty in the second half right.

Opposition 4: We controlled the game and neutralised their goal threat.

Given their position in the league and Savage’s views on Leicester, this was a very significant win.

Robbie Savage 0: Would not have known he was in the ground.

Nigel Clough 10: for leaving Savage out in order to ensure a civilized game, with no sending offs.

Weale 7 - Nothing to do, kicked and claimed well

Naughton 8 - Back to his usual standard. Great to see our fullbacks bombing forward

Davies 8 - Solid, and didn't take unnecessary risks in possession like Wednesday. Loved his storming run 2nd half

Hobbs 8 - The Hobbs of last year, good positional sense and dominant in the air. Probably helped him to know he was playing so close to kick off

Cunningham 7.5 - Solid. Was exposed a couple of times by raking crossfield balls but is good in possession and like Naughton, offers boundless energy

Abe 7.5 - This is the role he will play for us. Took 10 mins to adjust to the pace of the game, after that he was everywhere. Harried, tried to win possession high up the pitch, covered for runners and distributes simply.

Wellens 8.5 - Imperious, ran the show entirely from midfield. Is distributing with more urgency

King 7.5 - Never in doubt that he would score his 1 on 1. Timed his runs to perfection again although not involved so much in general play.

Gallagher 8 - Looks 2 steps faster than a month ago and is turning in good performances again.

Howard 8.5 - Gave Leacock and Barker a torrid afternoon. Deserved his goal.

Vassell 5 - Think I'm missing something considering his ratings from others here. Plays like someone who has been out of the game for a while.

Dyer 7, Waghorn N/A

Weale 7.5 confident display, not that much to do.

Naughton 8 Sign him up (as if)

Davies 8 Class

Hobbs 8 Back to his best

Cunningham 8 Sign him up (you never know :ph34r: )

Gallagher 8 Worked really well, always available.

Wellens 8 Midfield general

Abe 7.5 Meh

King 8 MOTM

Vassell 7.5 looked sharper than on Wednesday.

Howard 8 Won a lot in the air, put himself about.

SUBS;

Dyer 7.5 Immediate impact, would have got an 8 if he'd been on longer

Waghorn N/A

this

WEALE 7 - Little to do really, looked comfortable. Didn't let the ball under his foot which is a major plus this time around.

NAUGHTON 8 - Great going forward

DAVIES 9 - Solid and very confident on the ball. Don't really think we have a hope of signing him

HOBBS 8 - Back to his best, a solid and commanding performance

CUNNINGHAM 7 - Made a couple of naive errors by giving the ball away cheaply, but mainly defended well and passed the ball well. Got forward very well.

WELLENS 8.5 - He's had a lot of unfair stick IMO, but he had a terrific game today. Great pass for Kings goal, passed it beautifully in general, got stuck in.

ABE 7 - Had a nervous and edgy start, but soon improved and settled into the game. Tackling was superb, and passed it well.

KING 7.5 - When he was one on one I never thought he would miss. Didn't let me down. Looked tired at times when we didn't have the ball but still made some telling runs and always looked a threat

GALLAGHER 9 - Again, he gets a lot of stick usually but I thought he was the best player on the pitch. Creative and skilful, picked the right passes, moved into space, delivery was good. Fantastic.

VASSELL 6 - If I'm going to be critical I'd say he was our least influential starter on the day (apart from Weale). Didn't really stamp his authority on the game but he was unlucky to have his goal disallowed. I think he needs to play more central for us to judge him properly, but the current formation is working.

HOWARD 8 - Led the line brilliantly, he got stuck in, showed the passion you need for a local derby, and showed once again that he is not just a lummox, he is a proper footballer who can pass it well and he took his penalty very well. Just a shame the refs are always against him.

Subs:

DYER 7 - He was used on the right when he came on and so wanted to come inside when there wasn't much space. Did his best though and looked quite effective.

WAGHORN n/a

Oh yeh, forgot the ref.

3. He would have had zero but I'll let him off since he got the most vital decision right - the penalty. Stone-waller - and that twat on the Football League Show had the nerve to say Commons appeared to be trying to avoid contact, as if that's relevant.

Other than that though the ref was the usual utter disgrace, giving them everything and not booking them for persistent fouling. And of course not giving Howard any free kicks.

WEALE 7 - Little to do really, looked comfortable. Didn't let the ball under his foot which is a major plus this time around.

NAUGHTON 8 - Great going forward

DAVIES 9 - Solid and very confident on the ball. Don't really think we have a hope of signing him

HOBBS 8 - Back to his best, a solid and commanding performance

CUNNINGHAM 7 - Made a couple of naive errors by giving the ball away cheaply, but mainly defended well and passed the ball well. Got forward very well.

WELLENS 8.5 - He's had a lot of unfair stick IMO, but he had a terrific game today. Great pass for Kings goal, passed it beautifully in general, got stuck in.

ABE 7 - Had a nervous and edgy start, but soon improved and settled into the game. Tackling was superb, and passed it well.

KING 7.5 - When he was one on one I never thought he would miss. Didn't let me down. Looked tired at times when we didn't have the ball but still made some telling runs and always looked a threat

GALLAGHER 9 - Again, he gets a lot of stick usually but I thought he was the best player on the pitch. Creative and skilful, picked the right passes, moved into space, delivery was good. Fantastic.

VASSELL 6 - If I'm going to be critical I'd say he was our least influential starter on the day (apart from Weale). Didn't really stamp his authority on the game but he was unlucky to have his goal disallowed. I think he needs to play more central for us to judge him properly, but the current formation is working.

HOWARD 8 - Led the line brilliantly, he got stuck in, showed the passion you need for a local derby, and showed once again that he is not just a lummox, he is a proper footballer who can pass it well and he took his penalty very well. Just a shame the refs are always against him.

Subs:

DYER 7 - He was used on the right when he came on and so wanted to come inside when there wasn't much space. Did his best though and looked quite effective.

WAGHORN n/a

In order...

Although much better than of late, Hobbs remains a long way off his best. He remains uncomfortable (at best) on the left and although put under little pressure by a lackluster Derby he still managed a brief period of the jitters when Derby attacked him and a fading Cunningham half way through the second half.

Wellens has been poor for a good part of this season and has rightly been called for it, his attitude (on the pitch) when Sousa was in charge was deplorable. That said he has been playing better of late and yesterday he was pretty damn good, easily his best performance in a long while and deserving of the plaudits.

I have often said that Gallagher is our most influencial attacking player but for him to be effective he needs to be involved and on the ball. I still feel his deployment in wide positions is something of a waste, though he does appear to have a somewhat free role going forward. Yesterday was his most influencial game in a while, he was heavily involved and kept interested enough that he even did his defensive work with a bit of verve, something we rarely see. He really does need to give the free kicks (unless a shot is on) and corners to someone else, his delivery into the box remains deplorable.

Howard, as always leaves me in two minds. Much as I love he combativeness and undoubted ability to lead the line and give us focus I remain positive that he contributes little in terms of creating opening for either himself or his colleagues. That he remains our best option says more about the dissapointing form of Waghorn and Fryatt than any thing else!

Weale 7 He really had very little to do but did it ok.

Cunningham 8 This guy is potentially very good. Some of his forward runs are timed to perfection and his pass to set up King for what should have been a goal was sublime. Our best left back at the moment.

Hobbs 7 Not really tested but looked far more composed than against Sheffield utd. Good in the air and passed the ball better.

Davies 8 Very good performance, solid in the air and had time on the ball. Looked a quality player.

Naughton 8 very good indeed. Great move for the penalty. Another quality player who sadly I doubt we will be able to buy.

Gallagher 7 A typical performance by him in many ways. Some great touches and passes in open play but his corners were poor and he left Cunningham exposed on several occasions.

Wellens 9.5 we needed him to step up and he delivered. A top quality performance. Great run and pass for the goal. Was a constant threat all afternoon. The best he has played for us?

King 8 Much better performance capped by a good goal. Some great runs and needs to do that every game.

Vassell 7 Better but still looked lost wide on the right. Still needs to be more match fit. Thought he looked on side for his goal.

Abe 8 He was very good protecting the back four and breaking up their play. The sort of performance we need, quiet and effective.

Howard 9 He was very very good. A great tackle to set up the first goal, well taken penalty, much needed strenth and aggression. There were also occasions when he held the ball up really well, turned and spread a really good pass out to the wide player.

Dyer 8 Another top performance. His pace was a real worry to the Derby defence.

Oh yeh, forgot the ref.

3. He would have had zero but I'll let him off since he got the most vital decision right - the penalty. Stone-waller - and that twat on the Football League Show had the nerve to say Commons appeared to be trying to avoid contact, as if that's relevant.

Other than that though the ref was the usual utter disgrace, giving them everything and not booking them for persistent fouling. And of course not giving Howard any free kicks.

Disagree, the ref had a good game, and Howard won free-kicks as well as conceding them.

We got our share of decisions, the ref let the game flow and didn't needlessly flourish cards.

Oh yeh, forgot the ref.

I completely disagree. Once in a blue moon, we get a decent ref and he was one of them. Let the game flow and didn't let Derby play their usual Cloughy style tactics.

Archived