Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James.

Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX - We're New Here

Its a Project Debut III with a Ortofon 2M Red fitted. I have two, one for ripping and one i the lounge for listening.

ripping, i presume you mean mp3? if so what do you find is the best way to do this I have a stupid amount of vinyl with stuff that you can't get hold of anymore and would love to get decent digital versions of these. Tried one of the Ion USB turntables and it was pretty terrible by all accounts.

purpleronnie: I am saving up for better ones. The tone arm is poor and has an issue with the anti skate

Jay: I use the turntable into a Cambridge audio 640P and then into a 24/96 soundcard (cant remember which one). I then use Sony Soundforge to record it to wav and then convert it to 16bit FLAC. USB turntables are no good, you really need a pre amp and soundcard with analog in to get the best results. Mine is not the best setup for ripping by far because all the electronic equipment around (PC, router, printer, speakers, net switches etc) cause a low level 'hum' in the background.

Samilktray: got some nice prints with it too

j0wfnr.jpg

szwdub.jpg

purpleronnie: I am saving up for better ones. The tone arm is poor and has an issue with the anti skate

Jay: I use the turntable into a Cambridge audio 640P and then into a 24/96 soundcard (cant remember which one). I then use Sony Soundforge to record it to wav and then convert it to 16bit FLAC. USB turntables are no good, you really need a pre amp and soundcard with analog in to get the best results. Mine is not the best setup for ripping by far because all the electronic equipment around (PC, router, printer, speakers, net switches etc) cause a low level 'hum' in the background.

Samilktray: got some nice prints with it too

j0wfnr.jpg

szwdub.jpg

You'd be better off getting the turntable on an isolation stand

You'd be better off getting the turntable on an isolation stand

I dont think its that. But could you explain why you think that would help? Would mounting it on an isolated wall shelf help?

The hum starts as soon as I turn the table on. I rip records with the speakers turned off so there is no chance of feedback but still there is hum.

Any suggestions?

I dont think its that. But could you explain why you think that would help? Would mounting it on an isolated wall shelf help?

The hum starts as soon as I turn the table on. I rip records with the speakers turned off so there is no chance of feedback but still there is hum.

Any suggestions?

I'm not saying it is but the hum could be coming from your motor.

I have mine on an equipment stand and don't get any hum from recordings. Though it's done through a lap top which has no other devices attached to it.

If you have the cable length try putting your turntable on the floor and see what results you get from that, It might be reveberating through the table.

I'm going to download the soundforge demo tonight as I've been using Audacity and can't get it to record in stereo (It records 2 channels but only in mono).Is soundforge as easy as it sounds??

I have found soundforge really easy to use. I have not tried any others though. The only thing I have issue with is setting the record level which you have to do through windows control panel, dont know if thats the same for every program.

Another program I use id clickrepair which is the best one I have found for removing surface noise and the odd click. It doesn't destort the reording as others do.

I will try to isolate my turntable and see if there is an improvement. It has never occured to me it maybe the motor

Archived