Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FeedTheYakLCFC

Barnsley Away - Boycott?

This is all so horribly embarrassing and cringeworthy.

Does no one remember when we had a cheap ticket offer for a tenner at home to Barnsley but didn't extend the offer to them so they had to pay full-whack? Fair eh?

And we categorise our games just as Barnsley are doing - their A B C system is just the same as Gold / Platinum.

No Leicester City fan moaning about Barnsley's ticket policy has a leg to stand on when you consider our own ticketing policies.

If you can afford to go, go. If you can't, don't. But not going on the pretense that you're "boycotting" because of ticket prices is an absolute joke.

Well I'm not going because of the price, it's got nothing to do with a boycott i just refuse to pay that amount for this type of game, as for the Barnsley tenner game that is an entirely different scenario.

The only joke is that clubs feel comfortable charging these prices and I include LCFC in that. We all have our own personal financial requirements and mine don't stretch to £30 for this game especially when you consider what the price was last year.

The more people that feel like I do the more it will amount to a 'boycott' whether you want to call it that or not.

I certainly don't find it either embarrassing or cringeworthy.

£30.00 to sit in that s**t hole, think we are paying the price for being promotion favourites at the beginning of the season. Looks like a lot of clubs don't want people watching them anymore

We also raise the prices for big clubs, comes with the money we have and everyone's expectations of us.

It might be a few quid more but it's not that far to travel though... Last time I went there I got back home within an hour from leaving the ground..!!

Firstly, that was Doncaster, I do however agree that was a disgrace.

Sorry, you think its the fans' fault?

That's what pisses me off, it's like when we go to Ipswich and always get lumped with their stupid price "oooh lets charge them cvnts £30 and see how they like it".

Sorry, do you think the Ipswich fans themselves decided that? Why punish their fans and leave the people who actually determined the price totally unscathed?

I think it's brilliant that our fans may do this and it's a breath of fresh air that our own fans may be showing real unity against one of the worst things about modern football. If we arranged a boycott which lead to Barnsley reducing the price to £23, then it'd be one of my proudest moments as an LCFC fan and would leave all the shit about our fans being thrown out for being "too noisy" as a distant memory.

I'm not "blaming the fans", simply pointing out that boycotting this particular match because of the fact that they've classified us in their A category is misplaced. Everyone knows that ticket prices are outrageous across the board, and the only way a genuine difference could be made to this situation would be a coordinated general boycott of matches across the country.

Even in the extremely unlikely situation that Barnsley changed their ticket policy as a result of a threatened boycott of away fans, those same City fans will be ready to fork out an unacceptable fortune time and time again for the rest of the season (both at Filbert Way and most away grounds). Is it really worth missing one match over an extra £7 when you've already accepted you're going to be investing hundreds more pounds getting into other stadia up and down the country?

I'm not "blaming the fans", simply pointing out that boycotting this particular match because of the fact that they've classified us in their A category is misplaced. Everyone knows that ticket prices are outrageous across the board, and the only way a genuine difference could be made to this situation would be a coordinated general boycott of matches across the country.

Even in the extremely unlikely situation that Barnsley changed their ticket policy as a result of a threatened boycott of away fans, those same City fans will be ready to fork out an unacceptable fortune time and time again for the rest of the season (both at Filbert Way and most away grounds). Is it really worth missing one match over an extra £7 when you've already accepted you're going to be investing hundreds more pounds getting into other stadia up and down the country?

Except I use the same criteria for any away matches I attend or don't attend as for Filbert Way I have ST. It means I miss games but that is the price I'm prepared to pay or not pay.

Well I'm not going because of the price, it's got nothing to do with a boycott i just refuse to pay that amount for this type of game, as for the Barnsley tenner game that is an entirely different scenario.

But obviously that's fine, if you look at an individual ticket price and decide it's not worth the money for what you're going to get then of course it makes no sense to buy it.

But to dress that action up as taking a principled stand against the immorality of Barnsley FC in charging us a certain price strikes me as a bit childish, especially when, as you say, away fans of clubs that we class as "Platinum" games are charged quite a fortune when they turn up at Filbert Way.

Barnsley's category system might be a bit more barmy than most, but I really don't think that they're taking the piss any more than the majority of clubs in the Football League...

I can understand all of that being honest. I just don't get how you can possibly slate the fans efforts to get this overturned really, even though it probably won't. I understand about paying more money over the season but who's to say we won't try this at Ipswich? West Ham? All the sides that will rip us off this season.

I think this is more a case of a huge price hike, and our fans are sick of it.

But obviously that's fine, if you look at an individual ticket price and decide it's not worth the money for what you're going to get then of course it makes no sense to buy it.

But to dress that action up as taking a principled stand against the immorality of Barnsley FC in charging us a certain price strikes me as a bit childish, especially when, as you say, away fans of clubs that we class as "Platinum" games are charged quite a fortune when they turn up at Filbert Way.

Barnsley's category system might be a bit more barmy than most, but I really don't think that they're taking the piss any more than the majority of clubs in the Football League...

The point is though that the more people that refuse to pay a particular price the more it will be viewed as boycott, boycotts don't have to be organised. In this case the Merc presumably have sensed an undercurrent of dissatisfaction, researched it, found it to be reasonably significant enough to classify it as a boycott and have questioned people as to why they are not going, the reason given is the price of the match tickets.

You can call it embarrassing or cringeworthy but the simple fact is a fair number are refusing to pay that price.

Guest MattP

I always do this one but no way am I paying £30. Absolutely ridiculous.

If you can afford to go, go. If you can't, don't. But not going on the pretense that you're "boycotting" because of ticket prices is an absolute joke.

I can afford to go but wont on principle. Lets say 7,000 go paying £30, what is it next year (assuming we are still here), £35? £40? Where do you draw the line?

I draw mine before I pay £30 for Barnsley away, sorry but there is a line between supporting your team and having MUG stamped on your forehead.

Except I use the same criteria for any away matches I attend or don't attend as for Filbert Way I have ST. It means I miss games but that is the price I'm prepared to pay or not pay.

Having a set price you're willing to pay for any given away game is a pretty good option. My irritation in this topic is the people who are looking upon this particular game as so much worse in terms of ticket prices taking the piss than any other Championship away day. For example, if we're boycotting Barnsley then surely we must also boycott Ipswich which we'll probably have to pay £34 for the pleasure of attending?

The point is though that the more people that refuse to pay a particular price the more it will be viewed as boycott, boycotts don't have to be organised. In this case the Merc presumably have sensed an undercurrent of dissatisfaction, researched it, found it to be reasonably significant enough to classify it as a boycott and have questioned people as to why they are not going, the reason given is the price of the match tickets.

You can call it embarrassing or cringeworthy but the simple fact is a fair number are refusing to pay that price.

Perhaps my calling it embarrassing and cringeworthy is directed more at the depiction in the Merc's article and the words of Cliff Ginetta, rather than the attitudes of the fans themselves.

Having a set price you're willing to pay for any given away game is a pretty good option. My irritation in this topic is the people who are looking upon this particular game as so much worse in terms of ticket prices taking the piss than any other Championship away day. For example, if we're boycotting Barnsley then surely we must also boycott Ipswich which we'll probably have to pay £34 for the pleasure of attending?

You'll probably find the same people will and did last year it just depends on whether the Merc make a story out of it.

As for our prices well as ST holder I get my tickets discounted against the match day prices so it's really up to home and away fans paying match by match to make the same fuss about LCFC prices.

You'll probably find the same people will and did last year it just depends on whether the Merc make a story out of it.

As for our prices well as ST holder I get my tickets discounted against the match day prices so it's really up to home and away fans paying match by match to make the same fuss about LCFC prices.

I always do this one but no way am I paying £30. Absolutely ridiculous.

I can afford to go but wont on principle. Lets say 7,000 go paying £30, what is it next year (assuming we are still here), £35? £40? Where do you draw the line?

I draw mine before I pay £30 for Barnsley away, sorry but there is a line between supporting your team and having MUG stamped on your forehead.

My friends who support Liverpool/Chelsea sometimes pay £70-80 for away games I don't call them a MUG I call then I true supporter they spend most of there money on going to watch them. Not paying another £7 to go watch the team you love and support through thick an thin is up to the individual but I no I'll be there. Get behind the team they need you!

Guest MattP

My friends who support Liverpool/Chelsea sometimes pay £70-80 for away games I don't call them a MUG I call then I true supporter they spend most of there money on going to watch them. Not paying another £7 to go watch the team you love and support through thick an thin is up to the individual but I no I'll be there. Get behind the team they need you!

What away game charges £80? That's disgraceful, though at least they have the excuse of it being premiership and they shell out £30million on individual players to play for them.

I'm not shelling out my hard earned money to make Barnsley football club richer, if you want to bask it up in loyalty to your own team then do it, you are a loyal mug, but if you pay £30 to watch a match at Oakland, I can only use the word mug.

Where would you draw the line?

£55 at Bristol City away? Would you pay that because the team needs you?

What away game charges £80? That's disgraceful, though at least they have the excuse of it being premiership and they shell out £30million on individual players to play for them.

I'm not shelling out my hard earned money to make Barnsley football club richer, if you want to bask it up in loyalty to your own team then do it, you are a loyal mug, but if you pay £30 to watch a match at Oakland, I can only use the word mug.

Where would you draw the line?

£55 at Bristol City away? Would you pay that because the team needs you?

Chelsea is 70 I think and this season Arsenal is 80-85!

I think your jumping the gun a little saying £55 were on about £30 at Barnsley! If I think Leicester are worth watching I will pay the price.

Guest MattP

Chelsea is 70 I think and this season Arsenal is 80-85!

I think your jumping the gun a little saying £55 were on about £30 at Barnsley! If I think Leicester are worth watching I will pay the price.

Thats the problem though, we say ok to 30 it becomes 35 next year and so on and so on.

Before you know it it could be £45 at an average championship, it's time a lot of people stopped it now.

They would never get away with this in Germany or Spain, fans would boycott and get the prices back down. It's worth it just to miss a couple of games.

Thats the problem though, we say ok to 30 it becomes 35 next year and so on and so on.

Before you know it it could be £45 at an average championship, it's time a lot of people stopped it now.

They would never get away with this in Germany or Spain, fans would boycott and get the prices back down. It's worth it just to miss a couple of games.

Like I said its up to the individual. It wont stop me going

£30 for Barnsley is genuinely ridiculous, I don't blame anyone who knocks it on the head. A shame though, one of the best away days of the season last year.

Mind you, QPR want to charge Man City £72 for an away ticket. I suppose that's what you expect to pay to see megastars like Patrick Agyemang and Shaun Derry.

£30 for Barnsley is genuinely ridiculous, I don't blame anyone who knocks it on the head. A shame though, one of the best away days of the season last year.

Mind you, QPR want to charge Man City £72 for an away ticket. I suppose that's what you expect to pay to see megastars like Patrick Agyemang and Shaun Derry.

Worth it just to see Paddy Kenny's pretty face.

Archived