Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lazza

Wesolowski Proves himself in international football

I don't think he'll make the first team squad until the 2006/2007 season though...

124925[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

If that's the case then we should be prepared to LOSE talent like this young lad to a Premier League team.

When he improves even further after this then you could see some big clubs who look to the future making a bid for him.

No young lad with ability would be happy being ignored while highly paid players above him don't play a decent game.

125103[/snapback]

I would personally love to see young Wezza progress in to the first team squad next season, but I just can't see it happening. Wezza wasn't mentioned in the list of youth players Levein rated last season. Although, he could have done that to keep the focus off him...

125110[/snapback]

plus most fans will forgive a young player making errors but an old git not trying is totally unforgivable

125329[/snapback]

Believe me,the younger ones will drive harder to win and play solid for 90 plus minutes for 2 reasons. first they want to make an impact and be recognised, and secondly and importantly they are signed usually to a win bonus.What better reason to make sure their team wins.I suppose we were just lucky to play Blakes and Gemmils and Wilcoxs last season with a desire to win.

blake and gemmil have both left the club

125666[/snapback]

Yes.But did that bunch of bad players get in the way of say Dawson's progression, especially when he sat there at games and probably knew he could do better. Leicester needs to makes sure it creates opportunities for these players and to fast-track their development.It takes risks from the manager, but we need to do such to have players to progress and also to sell on at premium price.

Levein has said there isn't much talent coming through. He is keen on young players though, and I rekon that if Wesolowski gets a game - and impresses, he'll become much more of a regular

125675[/snapback]

Levein dont seem to rate him.Never been mentioned by CL.Not much talent coming through.What do fans on here think of that call.

Levein has said there isn't much talent coming through. He is keen on young players though, and I rekon that if Wesolowski gets a game - and impresses, he'll become much more of a regular

125675[/snapback]

Levein dont seem to rate him.Never been mentioned by CL.Not much talent coming through.What do fans on here think of that call.

125686[/snapback]

Well CL has noticed young Ashley Chambers and (according to the lad himself) praised him in person. Who's to say he hasn't done that with Weso as well? If he's impressed as much in training than at this tournament, there's no way the coaching staff won't have noticed. I'm very confident CL knows a lot about our prsopects already, and not least Wesolowski. Let's just wait and see...he's still only 17 remember?...

Youngsters are thrown into the first team much earlier now than say 10 years ago. You just have to look at Derby, Huddlestone thrown in a 15, he then went on to play every game the following 2 seasons, make the central midfield position his own, and Derby make a profit of 2.5 million? Sounds good to me.

We need to sort ourselves out and quick. It's no harm giving talented young players a chance to shine, now what is harmful is sticking with proven shit week in week out. We've given Wilcox a new contract because Levein must be having trouble finding any left wingers, nice backup, not looking very good is it. Levi Porter is waiting in the wings, but for how long..

We have little money to spend, one of the reasons is because we have had no one of any quality to sell for the last 3 years, and those that we did sell, went for stupid prices like £150,000 thanks to the wonderful combination of Adams and Bassett :rolleyes: We're not doing ourselves any favours.

I'm very confident CL knows a lot about our prsopects already, and not least Wesolowski. Let's just wait and see...he's still only 17 remember?...

How old was Stearman when he got his chance in the top team ?

16?

125899[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

Well, how come it was OK for Levein to put Stearman in the team at 16 or 17 and Wesolowski has to be wrapped in cotton wool and wont be in the squad until 2006/07 season when he's 19 ?

:huh:

I'm always a firm believer that quality will always come through. Dawson is a top prospect and i'm upset he didn't get a chance at Leicester. I feel he did enough in the reserves to warrant a chance and if he'd been given the chance he'd have stayed there. Only time will tell if i'm right.

As for Wesolowski, he is Alan Hill's crown jewel in terms of unearthing talent. Hill who was responsible for bringing in the likes of Kewell to Leeds, bought Weso over to Leicester when he was head of our academy. Alot was said when James arrived, he was only 14 and already he was hyped up to be a world beater. I remember Birch announcing him to the fans at a home game about 3 or 4 years ago and going wild about him. Everything has gone abit quiet about him, which is good as you don't want to put pressure on the lad.

He's getting rave reviews whenever he plays for Australia and now Dawson has left, he'll be the regular central midfielder for the reserves. He's still only 17 and if he keeps progressing he'll get his chance, if he doesn't then Levein's a fool and we know that isn't the case. The future's bright for Weso and I hope he fulfills his potential with us. We need to be brave and take more of a risk with our youngsters, Stearman and Sheehan have both proved how capable and fearless young players are. Couple that with immense talent like Wesolowski has got and you've got a huge asset to the team.

Realistic target for Weso next season is take the reserves by storm, get a few first team sub appearances if he can and stake his claim. I am quietly confident, we'll be ranting and raving alot about Weso within the next 18 months.

125164[/snapback]

It seems amazing that quite a few people on this forum agree with Hoof that Weso is a talent. This seems to be backed up by a recent excellent performance at the U20s world Cup and reports from Australian Soccer..Yet LCFC dont even rate him in their top 5 (3 players nominated for Academy Player of the Year plus Stearman and Sheehan as they were left out of nomiations as 1st team members).Do the club think differently from its supporters?

What manager ever picks a striker who never scores?.

PT with akinbadbuy

DB with Akinbadbuy

MA with scowcroft

basically all recent city managers pick strikers that cant score

125010[/snapback]

I'd love to hear their explanations as to why.

Maybe the Wesolowski question is one to ask at the Open Meeting. How highly does the club rate him and will he join Stearman as part of the first team squad because often, talented players actually respond better to having good players around them.

I'm talking about involving him, giving him cameo roles in matches, or even full games in a good side.

You don't build real confidence in the Reserves and friendlies, you build it with the big boys. Until a youngster gets involved, there's the feeling that the first team squad are somehow beyond reach.

It's only by playing with them that you see they're just human beings with strengths and weaknesses and that you CAN match and even outshine them.

What's the great fear? We've seen some pretty dire players wearing City shirts in the last couple of seasons. If people like Wesolowski are likely to perform worse than them then I really can't believe they're in the Academy at all.

It seems amazing that quite a few people on this forum agree with Hoof that Weso is a talent. This seems to be backed up by a recent excellent performance at the U20s world Cup and reports from Australian Soccer..Yet LCFC dont even  rate him in their top 5 (3 players nominated for Academy Player of the Year plus Stearman and Sheehan as they were left out of nomiations as 1st team members).Do the club think differently from its supporters?

I know everyone is pizzed off waiting for the season to start, and we have little else to discus, but get real about the situation at Leicester. CL has made it very clear he wants a younger team and sticking to his word he has gone out and brought in younger players. so no one can question his commitment to youth. But, Reading between the lines people are suggesting CL and/or LCFC is conspiring to keep the academy players out of the first team, which is ridiculous, when they are good enough CL will be the first to take the risk and throw them in at the deep end. But he isn’t going to do if there is a high risk that it will loss us games. It is that simple.

We have enough real problems at city without people coming up with fictitious ones.

I've actually had a chat with Levein about the youngsters before, I wrote to him and he rang me! Also an article appeared in The Mercury about the talent in our academy about a week or so later (coincidence?). He didn't mention Wesolowski at all, but having said that he'd only been at the club a couple of months and Weso was injured and then with Australia in the January for a month or so.

The only 3 players he mentioned were Dawson, Sheehan and Stearman as players knocking on his door for first team action. He did say there were a couple of others that were only 16/17 that definately had the potential to follow suit. I'm sure Weso fitted in to this category.

I'll write to Levein again and see if I get a response again.

I don't think he'll make the first team squad until the 2006/2007 season though...

124925[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

If that's the case then we should be prepared to LOSE talent like this young lad to a Premier League team.

When he improves even further after this then you could see some big clubs who look to the future making a bid for him.

No young lad with ability would be happy being ignored while highly paid players above him don't play a decent game.

125103[/snapback]

I would personally love to see young Wezza progress in to the first team squad next season, but I just can't see it happening. Wezza wasn't mentioned in the list of youth players Levein rated last season. Although, he could have done that to keep the focus off him...

125110[/snapback]

No-one seems to have mentioned the character of the lad. My missus said if Levein doesn't want him she'll have him (to do the garden!) but has Levein played dumb

because he's an arrogant type and already full of his own capabilities?

I truly don't know but I have noticed many managers (not just in sport) are wary of individuals, of people who don't fit into the accepted mould (especially in these days of the pasted public smile which seems to be a "must have" from the Prime Minister down.

God knows how much talent has been wasted in this way because personally, so long as they work hard, are dedicated to developing their skills and prove themselves able to identify with the team they can be as cocky as they like.

Some people are naturally disrespectful, anti-being organised, arrogant, unsociable, vocal, complaining, bad-mouthed a whole host of things and often it is simply an identity thing, a young person trying to make a statement that he is himself and not a clone or determined to get himself noticed.

Good managers (like Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson) seem and seemed able to cope with people that have a bit of swagger a bit of different and simply find ways of fitting them into or onto the basic package.

There's was no-one more different than George Best and Bobby Charlton, Tommy Smith and Steve Heighway, but they were cogged into the same side.

As I say, I don't know Wes's character but I hope Levein can cope with people who have a different temperament to his own because ball-players and ex-stopper centre-halves are often completely different animals.

Management is not just about dealing with the "easy" guys.

No-one seems to have mentioned the character of the lad. My missus said if Levein doesn't want him she'll have him (to do the garden!) but has Levein played dumb

because he's an arrogant type and already full of his own capabilities?

I truly don't know but I have noticed many managers (not just in sport) are wary of individuals, of people who don't fit into the accepted mould (especially in these days of the pasted public smile which seems to be a "must have" from the Prime Minister down.

God knows how much talent has been wasted in this way because personally, so long as they work hard, are dedicated to developing their skills and prove themselves able to identify with the team they can be as cocky as they like.

Some people are naturally disrespectful, anti-being organised, arrogant, unsociable, vocal, complaining, bad-mouthed a whole host of things and often it is simply an identity thing, a young person trying to make a statement that he is himself and not a clone or determined to get himself noticed.

Good managers (like Sir Matt Busby, Bill Shankly Arsene Wenger, Sir Alex Ferguson) seem and seemed able to cope with people that have a bit of swagger a bit of different and simply find ways of fitting them into or onto the basic package.

There's was no-one more different than George Best and Bobby Charlton, Tommy Smith and Steve Heighway, but they were cogged into the same side.

As I say, I don't know Wes's character but I hope Levein can cope with people who have a different temperament to his own because ball-players and ex-stopper centre-halves are often completely different animals.

Management is not just about dealing with the "easy" guys.

126598[/snapback]

couldn't agree more and most aussie sportsmen with talent are arrogent just look at their cricket and rugby teams

couldn't agree more and most aussie sportsmen with talent are arrogent just look at their cricket and rugby teams

Perhaps thats what the problem is - Wesolowski is an Aussie and not local.

But of course every Aussie is arrogant and tanned and every Russian is sad and is a drunk and every Irishman eats only potatoes and every American talks loud and wears check pants and every Hawaiian surfs Pipeline and every Scot is tight with his money and every Pole has a moustache like Lech Walenska and every Welshman has a great voice and every Englishman loses at Wimbledon and every Scottish coach is a knob. ;)

GET REAL !

Most elite sports people have a self-confidence about them that is often mistaken for arrogance.

Perhaps Levein is the arrogant one.

From what I hear he's not the greatest communicator with the lads.

Anyway, if this club has a problem with Weso being an Aussie then I'm sure a few other clubs would like to take him off our hands at a cheap price.

It isn't because he's from Australia as Levein has just signed to lads from Oz (Kisnorbo and Henderson) to go with Tiatto who Levein loves.

Weso has often been described as 'hard working' and 'passionate' always giving 110% so I imagine his attitude is spot on for football. He's also come a long way from Oz to play at Leicester and if things weren't working out i'm sure he'd be allowed to leave and go home. I think he's ticking over quite nicely, this season he needs to make his name in the reserves and make it almost impossible for Levein to ignore him.

oh ok.. I didnt have any idea who he was...

i'll just shut up now.. ;o)

126868[/snapback]

It would help if you read the thread first ;)

It isn't because he's from Australia as Levein has just signed to lads from Oz (Kisnorbo and Henderson) to go with Tiatto who Levein loves.

Weso has often been described as 'hard working' and 'passionate' always giving 110% so I imagine his attitude is spot on for football. He's also come a long way from Oz to play at Leicester and if things weren't working out i'm sure he'd be allowed to leave and go home. I think he's ticking over quite nicely, this season he needs to make his name in the reserves and make it almost impossible for Levein to ignore him.

126844[/snapback]

I think the way he plays he's here to stay and not go home to Oz.If anything he looks like he's destined for bigger clubs. Just hope we can look after him especially if he gives 110% as not too many did last year, and in turn he helps serve our club well for the next few years.I dont doubt his drive and ambition,its just how CL uses it and gets the best from it.Hopefully juniors dont sit in the stands like last season and get frustrated knowing honestly they could've done much better and give us fans something really to get excited about.

126844[/snapback]

I think the way he plays he's here to stay and not go home to Oz.If anything he looks like he's destined for bigger clubs. Just hope we can look after him especially if he gives 110% as not too many did last year, and in turn he helps serve our club well for the next few years.I dont doubt his drive and ambition,its just how CL uses it and gets the best from it.Hopefully juniors dont sit in the stands like last season and get frustrated knowing honestly they could've done much better and give us fans something really to get excited about.

127324[/snapback]

It's harder for the kids to come through.

When a manager goes "away" for a player he has to chat to him, pursuade him that a move is in his interests and tempt him with the right money and package. Once installed the manager wants him to succeed both to protect his own reputation (having signed him) but also his own honesty (having pursuaded the newcomer to join). However well or badly he's playing!.

Academy youngsters will have become part of the furniture, easily overlooked or easy to leave out until another or "better" opportunity arises. Unlike new signings, they often don't get the chance to fail.

Even Stearman hardly had a run last season. Yet how many chances by way of games and part games did MDV get?

Managers may all think they're tough but they often cop out when it comes to leaving their friends and favourites out of the side. And, when the "signing" is being paid his new-contract money then the boss isn't keen to see that wasted on a sidelines player while a next-to-nothing Academy lad takes a shirt. Who ever said life was fair?

Another fine post Thracian.With your knowledge and insight on most postings I hope people at the Club do read these.

Hard decisions are what separate chumps from champs.Most managers are chumps,unable to make hard decisions and cut out newly selected players if they fail to live up to expectations.Managers that can see what is special and what will work and what is needed to make someone or something work are champs.There are fewer of these.Hopefully CL will be a Champion for LCFC.Hard decisions though are needed to be made and seen to be done.

Archived