Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lazza

Wesolowski Proves himself in international football

Lads,

An excerpt from some match reports from the Australia v Japan Youth World Cup game.

By all accounts from some Australian friends this lad was a class above every other Australian and Japanese player around him.

I think it's time young Wesolowski was given his place in the first team.

Mr Levein, please take notice !

It's interesting that there is a comment about impressing our coaching staff. Let's hope the club gives him the respect he deserves as a player who is one of our few juniors with great talent and a future leader of this club.

We need more quality lads like young James here if we are to develop over the next few years and work our way back into the Premier League.

We can't afford for another team to make a bid for him so that they benefit from our investment in him.

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

The Japanese upped the ante late on as they stared down the barrel of elimination. and 17-year-old midfield dynamo James Wesolowski, who impressed on his tournament debut, was forced to head off the line.

Midfielders Ruben Zadkovich and James Wesolowski (pictured), as well as defender Ryan Townsend, have all patiently waited for the chance to perform in the rarefied atmosphere that is FIFA’s premier football event outside the FIFA World Cup.

Despite just being 17-years-old Wesolowski is also on a professional contract in the Championship with Leicester City and has just completed his first year on those terms after being at the club the previous season as a schoolboy apprentice.

Home also to Qantas Socceroos Danny Tiatto and newly-signed Patrick Kisnorbo, Wesolowski has impressed the coaching staff at Leicester City with his all-action but composed midfield play.

A Sydney-sider from the Canterbury Association, Wesolowski honed his skills at the renowned Westfields Sports High School, also the alma mater for Qantas Young Socceroos team-mates Daniel Vukovic, Trent McClenahan and the injured Mark Bridge.

Still young enough for the 2007 FIFA World Youth Championship, the level-headed Wesolowski seems a star in the making.

From the SBS site.

The Japanese upped the ante late on as they stared down the barrel of elimination, and 17-year-old midfield dynamo James Wesolowski, who impressed on his tournament debut, was forced to head off the line.

Source

If we don't start playing these young stars in the making we're lucky to have in our youth team then we're simply going to miss out because they either get fed up and leave (in the case of Dawson and Petrescu) or like Lazza says another team will end up making a bid for him and they'll then benefit from our investment.

Stearman got his chance, look how good he was. Wesolowski next.

If we don't start playing these young stars in the making we're lucky to have in our youth team then we're simply going to miss out because they either get fed up and leave (in the case of Dawson and Petrescu) or like Lazza says another team will end up making a bid for him and they'll then benefit from our investment.

124809[/snapback]

lets hope not

I've watched young Wezza a few times in the reserves, and he's certainly someone with plenty of natural talent, like Stearman. I don't think he'll make the first team squad until the 2006/2007 season though...

124809[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. But it takes nerve. Managers don't seem to find it easy to pick low-paid youngsters when they have to answer to seasoned and better paid professionals sitting on the bench.

For proof you've only got to think about some of the journeymen who've disgraced a Cikty shirt in the last 18 months.

Maybe Levein will show himself tough enough, honest enough and farsighted enough but I don't know. He's kept giving his pat MDV a game. What manager ever picks a striker who never scores?.

In these circumstances the only way Wesolowski or any other youngster is going to get a chance is if/when we get a hatful of injuries. Maybe it's a good thing that Levein isn't planning to bring in that many new faces over the summer months - it will give the youth teamers more of a chance to play.

124809[/snapback]

Thing is though Petrescu is now with some unheard Scandanavian club and Dawson will probably end up playing for some lower league team. This lad will have to be special to get in the team as Center mid is most skilled area and there are a few of them aswell.

124809[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. But it takes nerve.

Maybe Levein will show himself tough enough, honest enough and farsighted enough but I don't know. He's kept giving his pat MDV a game. What manager ever picks a striker who never scores?.

124970[/snapback]

The problem for Levein is that next season is crunch time for him.

He can't rely on any excuses any more.

He MUST perform or at least show signs that our team is improving and that we will be a threat, if not this year, then the next and that he can build a team that will be a threat for many years to come.

He WILL need to be bold if he wants to succeed.

I don't think he'll make the first team squad until the 2006/2007 season though...

124925[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

If that's the case then we should be prepared to LOSE talent like this young lad to a Premier League team.

When he improves even further after this then you could see some big clubs who look to the future making a bid for him.

No young lad with ability would be happy being ignored while highly paid players above him don't play a decent game.

I don't think he'll make the first team squad until the 2006/2007 season though...

124925[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

If that's the case then we should be prepared to LOSE talent like this young lad to a Premier League team.

When he improves even further after this then you could see some big clubs who look to the future making a bid for him.

No young lad with ability would be happy being ignored while highly paid players above him don't play a decent game.

125103[/snapback]

I would personally love to see young Wezza progress in to the first team squad next season, but I just can't see it happening. Wezza wasn't mentioned in the list of youth players Levein rated last season. Although, he could have done that to keep the focus off him...

Wezza wasn't mentioned in the list of youth players Levein rated last season. Although, he could have done that to keep the focus off him...

125110[/snapback]

WESOLOWSKI_James.jpg

Yes, I know he did that. I don't think he was being honest.

At least I hope he wasn't ! You have to be careful playing games like that. It could easily backfire.

Let's just hope that Levein took young James aside and explained to him why he did that.

It's very important for the lad's confidence and for the trust that the lad needs to have in his manager.

Anyway, you would have to be a knob to NOT rate Wesolowski in the top 5 youth players.

Take a look at other clubs match reports and it seems that they 'publicly' rate the lad much higher than our staff do.

124809[/snapback]

Couldn't agree more. But it takes nerve. Managers don't seem to find it easy to pick low-paid youngsters when they have to answer to seasoned and better paid professionals sitting on the bench.

For proof you've only got to think about some of the journeymen who've disgraced a Cikty shirt in the last 18 months.

124970[/snapback]

Our club is not going to attract players of high standard.We are required to make these players from scatch.Hopefully Levein rates young Wezza a bit higher than hes shown us.Not mentioned him once.Wezza is probably a far better player than Dawson but we dont want to encoursge any thoughts of him wanting to move on one day as Lazza mentioned.You gotta show people that they are the future of LCFC by giving them a role to play.

I'm always a firm believer that quality will always come through. Dawson is a top prospect and i'm upset he didn't get a chance at Leicester. I feel he did enough in the reserves to warrant a chance and if he'd been given the chance he'd have stayed there. Only time will tell if i'm right.

As for Wesolowski, he is Alan Hill's crown jewel in terms of unearthing talent. Hill who was responsible for bringing in the likes of Kewell to Leeds, bought Weso over to Leicester when he was head of our academy. Alot was said when James arrived, he was only 14 and already he was hyped up to be a world beater. I remember Birch announcing him to the fans at a home game about 3 or 4 years ago and going wild about him. Everything has gone abit quiet about him, which is good as you don't want to put pressure on the lad.

He's getting rave reviews whenever he plays for Australia and now Dawson has left, he'll be the regular central midfielder for the reserves. He's still only 17 and if he keeps progressing he'll get his chance, if he doesn't then Levein's a fool and we know that isn't the case. The future's bright for Weso and I hope he fulfills his potential with us. We need to be brave and take more of a risk with our youngsters, Stearman and Sheehan have both proved how capable and fearless young players are. Couple that with immense talent like Wesolowski has got and you've got a huge asset to the team.

Realistic target for Weso next season is take the reserves by storm, get a few first team sub appearances if he can and stake his claim. I am quietly confident, we'll be ranting and raving alot about Weso within the next 18 months.

124809[/snapback]

124970[/snapback]

Our club is not going to attract players of high standard.We are required to make these players from scatch.Hopefully Levein rates young Wezza a bit higher than hes shown us.Not mentioned him once.Wezza is probably a far better player than Dawson but we dont want to encoursge any thoughts of him wanting to move on one day as Lazza mentioned.You gotta show people that they are the future of LCFC by giving them a role to play.

125157[/snapback]

In some ways it should be a requirement of the manager that he develop a ratio of young talent. When you think of the experience (and value) youngsters could be adding to their name in place of the likes of Blake, Wilcox, and several others I just can't understand the thinking.

Finance matters and we need to be producing two players a season, one to sell on so that resources can be built up and the other to improve the team.

I know it would be nice to keep both but the reality is, if you don't generate money you'll never afford to compete at Premiership level.

It puts a bit of useful pressure on the coaches to prove their abilities and it makes the whole point of the Academy worthwhile because if nothing is ever going to be allowed to come through then what is the point of having an academy.

With youngsters it's alright and often downright convenient to say, "he needs a bit more experience and strength yet" but the truth is you need to show some faith in young players, get them involved and build their confidence with regular cameos and more in real games.

Finance matters and we need to be producing two players a season, one to sell on so that resources can be built up and the other to improve the team.

I know it would be nice to keep both but the reality is, if you don't generate money you'll never afford to compete at Premiership level.

It puts a bit of useful pressure on the coaches to prove their abilities and it makes the whole point of the Academy worthwhile because if nothing is ever going to be allowed to come through then what is the point of having an academy.

With youngsters it's alright and often downright convenient to say, "he needs a bit more experience and strength yet" but the truth is you need to show some faith in young players, get them involved and build their confidence with regular cameos and more in real games.

125244[/snapback]

Excellent post - I couldn't agree more.

The likes of Wilcox should be nowhere near the club and are doing nothing but hindering the progress of young talent like Wesolowski. It's too easy to say that the young players aren't ready, but how are they going to be ready if we don't give them first team action? Our club's academy has been a joke over the last 3 years - how many youngsters have we promoted to the first team? It's time some of these lads got a chance to show themselves and prove to the manager/fans that they are up to the job.

Archived