Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stay Positive

10 great 80's albums that most people aren't familiar with

Would be interested to see other folks' lists here. Anyway mine would be:

1) House Of Freaks - Tantilla

2) Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth

3) Flipper - Generic

4) The Bongos - Drums Along The Hudson

5) The Gun Club - Miami

6) Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes (admittedly this one's better known than the rest)

7) The Long Ryders - Native Sons

8) Camper Van Beethoven - Telephone Free Landslide Victory

9) The Man From Del Monte - Catholic Boys On Mobilettes

10) The Carpettes - Fight Amongst Yourselves

ahh finally somebody else likes the campers i thought i was on my own. my shout would be another fave "young fresh fellows" This One's for the Ladies

Young Fresh Fellows. Wow, I forgot all about them, but indeed they were excellent.

As for the Campers, big fan here. I have 7 of their albums!

Most people won't be familiar with stuff like Head on a Door by The Cure or Surfer Rosa by Pixies - but they're staples of any indie music fan.

However, I'll list... ]

Engine - American Music Club

Locust Abortion Technician - Butthole Surfers

Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addicition

Life's Too Good - The Sugarcubes

i - A R Kane

Burning World - Swans

Here Come The Snakes - Green On Red

Blue Bell Knoll - Cocteau Twins

Infected - The The

Would you include albums such as Isn't Anything by MBV or Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth or Provision by Scritti Polliti. or Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails or Psycho Candy by The Jesus and Mary Chain... sadly most people wouldn't know these.

You'd be surprised how little music people "know", which is why commercial radio stations are able to get by play less than 100 different songs all week.

Most people won't be familiar with stuff like Head on a Door by The Cure or Surfer Rosa by Pixies - but they're staples of any indie music fan.

However, I'll list... ]

Engine - American Music Club

Locust Abortion Technician - Butthole Surfers

Nothing's Shocking - Jane's Addicition

Life's Too Good - The Sugarcubes

i - A R Kane

Burning World - Swans

Here Come The Snakes - Green On Red

Blue Bell Knoll - Cocteau Twins

Infected - The The

Would you include albums such as Isn't Anything by MBV or Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth or Provision by Scritti Polliti. or Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails or Psycho Candy by The Jesus and Mary Chain... sadly most people wouldn't know these.

You'd be surprised how little music people "know", which is why commercial radio stations are able to get by play less than 100 different songs all week.

Seriously? I thought Surfer Rosa was pretty much an all round acknowledged "classic" these days. Pixies are certainly fairly well known (at least amongst serious music fans, but I'd say their popularity extends beyond that these days). Some great choices though, especially the Swans one. I'm figuring that you've gone more for the "albums" that people are unfamiliar with rather than the artists, as you picked a few there I'd be surprised if people didn't know. I know what you mean though about how little a lot of people know. I remember a girl at my workplace going on about REM and she asked me if she could borrow their first album. So I took "Murmur" in, and she replied "No, their first one. You know, "Out of Time". :frusty:

The Wonderstuff released 2 of my favourite albums of the 80s - 8 Legged Groove Machine and Hups,till sound as good today,

Would reccomend "If The Beatles Had Read Hunter"singles collection to anyone who has never listened to them

Seriously? I thought Surfer Rosa was pretty much an all round acknowledged "classic" these days. Pixies are certainly fairly well known (at least amongst serious music fans, but I'd say their popularity extends beyond that these days). Some great choices though, especially the Swans one. I'm figuring that you've gone more for the "albums" that people are unfamiliar with rather than the artists, as you picked a few there I'd be surprised if people didn't know. I know what you mean though about how little a lot of people know. I remember a girl at my workplace going on about REM and she asked me if she could borrow their first album. So I took "Murmur" in, and she replied "No, their first one. You know, "Out of Time". :frusty:

Trust me - 95% of people won't know who Pixies* are; they'll think you're talking about Pixie Lott ore something. Even so called DJs on commercial radio probably don't know. I read somewhere once that the average person has less than 10 albums - and when you think there are quite a few people like you and I who have 100s, then there must be plenty with less than 5.

And I know entirely what you mean about the REM thing, have had the same thing a few times with different bands - though can't think which ones now.

*and of that 5% 99% will call them The Pixies.

Trust me - 95% of people won't know who Pixies* are; they'll think you're talking about Pixie Lott ore something. Even so called DJs on commercial radio probably don't know. I read somewhere once that the average person has less than 10 albums - and when you think there are quite a few people like you and I who have 100s, then there must be plenty with less than 5.

And I know entirely what you mean about the REM thing, have had the same thing a few times with different bands - though can't think which ones now.

*and of that 5% 99% will call them The Pixies.

Physical albums or total albums owned?

Young Fresh Fellows. Wow, I forgot all about them, but indeed they were excellent.

As for the Campers, big fan here. I have 7 of their albums!

young fresh fellows main man Scott McCaughey is still around has a few bands "the minus 5" and "the baseball project" both excellent both have peter buck (rem) on board also in tired pony with that bloke out of snow patrol and occasionally gets the yff together, top man, my hero .he is also the hairy back up guitarist you can (could) see on R.E.M tours .Sad to see the demise of rem but i think they should have done it years ago.also search out the Model Rockets

The Wonderstuff released 2 of my favourite albums of the 80s - 8 Legged Groove Machine and Hups,till sound as good today,

Would reccomend "If The Beatles Had Read Hunter"singles collection to anyone who has never listened to them

They were easily my favourite live band. Saw them LOADS of times and they were one of the few I would travel many miles to see on a regular basis. Loved all 4 of their albums, and also enjoyed the more recent ones he and Malc recoded. It's quite alarming to think that half the original line up are now dead. Met them all, incidentally, and was delighted to have the opportunity to interview Miles in the noughties for my website. He didn't let me down (gently) and was a fantastic interviewee.

young fresh fellows main man Scott McCaughey is still around has a few bands "the minus 5" and "the baseball project" both excellent both have peter buck (rem) on board also in tired pony with that bloke out of snow patrol and occasionally gets the yff together, top man, my hero .he is also the hairy back up guitarist you can (could) see on R.E.M tours .Sad to see the demise of rem but i think they should have done it years ago.also search out the Model Rockets

Yeah I have 3 Minus 5 albums. All range from good to excellent.

Will check out the Model Rockets though. Cheers.

Suicidal Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies

Camper Van Beethoven - The Village Voice's

Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Go-Betweens - 16 Lovers Lane

Rites Of Spring - Rites Of Spring

Gang of Four - Entertainment

10,000 maniacs - in my tribe

The Replacements - let it be

Gun Club - Fire of Love

This Heat - Deceit

You Can't Hide Your Love Forever by Orange Juice

World Shut Your Mouth by Julian Cope

Makorokoto by Four Brothers

Oi! The Album

Soul Mining by The The

Squirrel and G-Man Twenty Four Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out) by The Happy Mondays

The Correct Use of Soap by Magazine

Celebration by Simple Minds

Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape by Bauhaus

Fisherman's Blues by The Waterboys

I always find it difficult to make lists like this.

Husker Du - Zen Arcade

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood

Minutemen - The Punch Line

T.S.O.L - Weathered Statues

Scientist - Rids the world of the evil curse of the vampires.

Dio - Holy Diver (Guilty pleasures count as great, right?)

Mission of Burma - Signals, Calls and marches

Bad Brains - Bad Brains

The Meteors - The mutant monkey and the surfers from Zorch

Napalm Death - Scum

That's the problem. I'm not sure what's familiar or not as I'm familiar with everything I listened to.

Well that's the point I was trying to make. Regular visitors to the Music forum like most of the people who have posted here so far will know most of the albums named here, but think of thbe vast majority of FT poster who never post here and wouldn't have a clue.

Not been elitist or anything, it's just true.

Vain - No Respect

Burning Tree - S/T

Gaye Bykers On Acid - Stewed to the gills

Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

Under Neath What - What Is It

Rose Tattoo - Assult and Battery

Tad - Gods Balls

Crass - Christ, The Album

Subhumans - The Day The Country Died

The Stupids - Peruvian Vacation

Maybe not too unkown but I had to remember 10 from a few years ago. Too well know are The Cramps, Guana Batz, Rush, Butthole Surfers and many others I forget in my old age

Archived