Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Fleetwood Mac - 2 sides to their music ?

I'd normally confess to knowing my music pretty well, but I've just started getting into Fleetwood Mac via their Greatest Hits, Rumours and Tango In The Night Album. Recently, I purchased a Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and oh wow, what a completely different sound to their more well known pop stuff of Lyndsey Buckingham/Steve Nicks.

What do other people think and which style do they prefer. I really am getting into this bluesy early stuff and Peter Green did one track that I just cannot stop playing.. absolutely phonomenal...

A bit before my time, but always seem to enjoy them whenever I hear them.

I know what you mean about Buckingham's style. I was amazed to find out a couple of years ago that he wrote this.............

I do like it though!!!

My Dad used to live next door to Mick Fleetwood when he was growing up, when the first variant of the band got big. We've got all the early Fleetwood Mac vinyl LP's signed (that's my inheritance :D )

I've grown up listening to Fleetwood Mac through force but now choice. I much prefer Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac but I really like the Californian stuff too. I've met and seen Peter Green a few times, he's a tragic genius type figure. The whole band has a really fascinating history that I highly recommend reading about, there was Peter Green's mental issues and drug problems, Jeremy Spencer one of the early guitarists disappeared and joined a cult and of course the in-band love triangles and affairs once Buckingham and Nicks joined.

So many talented musicians have passed through the band during it's time but I don't think any can really hold a torch to Peter Green. My Dad flips out whenever anyone accredits Black Magic Woman to Carlos Santana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc2Ds0A0T_g

A bit before my time, but always seem to enjoy them whenever I hear them.

I know what you mean about Buckingham's style. I was amazed to find out a couple of years ago that he wrote this.............

I do like it though!!!

This is on National Lampoons Vacation. :D

I remember reading somewhere (I think was in a programme for one of Peter Greens concerts) that Oh Well is considered to be an early example of rap lol

Possible. Read on youtube from someone (how reliable I don't know) that it was written by Green against his bandmates with regards to the plight of some dying children. Think Green wanted to play a concert to raise money or fellow band members to contribute to a charity to help them, but they refused. Apparently first third of the song - rocky bit - is his anger towards his fellow band mates, whilst the other two thirds of the part - instrumental - is the lament or death of the children. Oh Well is phenomenal !!

I love the early stuff, some of my favourite music there, but everything that they have done since Buckingham and Nicks joined can go and rot in the lowest, darkest pit of wretchedness in the universe.

I can't think of a band that have so drastically changed.

I'd normally confess to knowing my music pretty well, but I've just started getting into Fleetwood Mac via their Greatest Hits, Rumours and Tango In The Night Album. Recently, I purchased a Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac and oh wow, what a completely different sound to their more well known pop stuff of Lyndsey Buckingham/Steve Nicks.

What do other people think and which style do they prefer. I really am getting into this bluesy early stuff and Peter Green did one track that I just cannot stop playing.. absolutely phonomenal...

I have the 45 single somewhere, no doubt very well worn.

I love the early stuff, some of my favourite music there, but everything that they have done since Buckingham and Nicks joined can go and rot in the lowest, darkest pit of wretchedness in the universe.

I can't think of a band that have so drastically changed.

'The Chain' ? . Rumours is actually pretty decent.

'The Chain' ? . Rumours is actually pretty decent.

The Chain is AWFUL! It's only exciting by association. You hear "that riff" and think, "FAST CARS!!" However, when listening to that song the drivel at the start has made you want to kill yourself long before you get there.

The Chain is AWFUL! It's only exciting by association. You hear "that riff" and think, "FAST CARS!!" However, when listening to that song the drivel at the start has made you want to kill yourself long before you get there.

.....and reel him in....

actually Rumours isn't half bad. Not all mainstream music is rubbish. (Now there's a thread starter!)

Archived