Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

The best of the 60s

14 hours ago, l444ry said:

Did I already bore you with my Marmalade story?

Technically, in 1989 one of these men sacked me as a part-time glass collector in a Brighton nightclub. It was actually the nightclub manager who took the decision but the club was owned by a former member of Marmalade.

Officially, I was laid off because the club wasn't attracting enough punters to justify my employment. But I was "let go" after arguing with the chief barmaid, who wanted me out from behind the bar collecting glasses - when there were none to collect.

It was a dire establishment near Brighton seafront named "Champagne's Nightclub" that sometimes even played the same records twice.

Its novelty was that every night the celebrity owner would present a bottle of champagne free to some lucky punter.

He was Scottish, very short (about 5ft3?) and had a ponytail at the time. Just checked photos and it might have been Junior Campbell (is that the singer here?) - especially as his Wiki page says he lives in Horsham, Sussex....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Technically, in 1989 one of these men sacked me as a part-time glass collector in a Brighton nightclub. It was actually the nightclub manager who took the decision but the club was owned by a former member of Marmalade.

Officially, I was laid off because the club wasn't attracting enough punters to justify my employment. But I was "let go" after arguing with the chief barmaid, who wanted me out from behind the bar collecting glasses - when there were none to collect.

It was a dire establishment near Brighton seafront named "Champagne's Nightclub" that sometimes even played the same records twice.

Its novelty was that every night the celebrity owner would present a bottle of champagne free to some lucky punter.

He was Scottish, very short (about 5ft3?) and had a ponytail at the time. Just checked photos and it might have been Junior Campbell (is that the singer here?) - especially as his Wiki page says he lives in Horsham, Sussex....

Not quite a bragging claim to fame. lol

37 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Alfred, the singer on this clip is Dean Ford. He died last year but was Scottish.

Edited by l444ry

4 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Alfred, the singer on this clip is Dean Ford. He died last year but was Scottish.

A quick look at Ford's Wiki page reveals that he moved to LA in 1979, became an alcoholic but went to AA and was sober by 1986.......seems unlikely he'd have been handing out champagne in Brighton nightclubs in 1989.

Most, if not all of the group were Scottish, I think.

Are you aware of any of them being very short? The Champagne's Nightclub guy was no more than 5 foot 3. My money's still on Campbell if he lives in Sussex - and he looked a bit familiar in photos (can't be sure, though).

4 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

A quick look at Ford's Wiki page reveals that he moved to LA in 1979, became an alcoholic but went to AA and was sober by 1986.......seems unlikely he'd have been handing out champagne in Brighton nightclubs in 1989.

Most, if not all of the group were Scottish, I think.

Are you aware of any of them being very short? The Champagne's Nightclub guy was no more than 5 foot 3. My money's still on Campbell if he lives in Sussex - and he looked a bit familiar in photos (can't be sure, though).

Graham Knight was quite short. Alan Whitehead (Drummer) had a string of Nightclubs, certainly had one in London. Not sure about Brighton though. 

• Thanks 1

I apologise for my repeated digressions regarding my tenuous connection to The Marmalade via Champagne's Nightclub.........but one last one.....

I only worked at Champagne's for about 4 weekends (while doing a TEFL course Mon-Fri) - and only worked about 11.30 pm to 3.30 a.m. on Friday & Saturday nights.

So, I'd be walking to work along the road running parallel to the seafront at just after weekend closing time. The side-streets between that road and the seafront promenade are quite steep (bear with me, it's relevant!).

One night, I was scurrying along that road, only just on time for work. As I was scurrying along, I passed a patrolling WPC.

Almost immediately, I passed a street corner - to be met by an extraordinary sight.

Three young women were squatting in line, cackling loudly. Each had her skirt pulled up to her waist, knickers presumably off (didn't get a close look) and they were all sending a Niagara Falls of urine down the steep side-street towards the promenade.

I didn't want to be late for work so couldn't hang around, but would have loved to have seen the reaction of the WPC when she turned the corner (she wasn't far behind me).... :D

• Haha 4

Once upon a time there was a Spion Kop, Where we used to throw a can or two, Where we used to while away the hours, Watching the boys in Royal Blue, These were the days my friend, We took the Stretford End, We took the Shed End, the North Bank Highbury, We'd fight and never lose, We'd live the life we choose, Oh yes these were the days...

• Like 3