Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

The best of the 60s

• 3 weeks later...

@Webbo

Compare and contrast....

I really like the Thin Lizzy version you posted in the 70s thread, but this is the one that I grew up playing from the late 60s:

(There's a good Dubliners live version on YouTube, too, but the handclapping might irritate).

Note also the "correct" lyric: "far-famed Kerry mountains", not "Cork and Kerry mountains" (most of my family are/were Kerrymen, the people that the Irish tell "Irish jokes" about!)

This is the sort of machine my parents had for playing their records on back then:

Buy GPO Dansette Bermuda Record Player on Legs - Blue | GPO | Nice ...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

@Webbo

Compare and contrast....

I really like the Thin Lizzy version you posted in the 70s thread, but this is the one that I grew up playing from the late 60s:

(There's a good Dubliners live version on YouTube, too, but the handclapping might irritate).

Note also the "correct" lyric: "far-famed Kerry mountains", not "Cork and Kerry mountains" (most of my family are/were Kerrymen, the people that the Irish tell "Irish jokes" about!)

This is the sort of machine my parents had for playing their records on back then:

Buy GPO Dansette Bermuda Record Player on Legs - Blue | GPO | Nice ...

I assumed it was based on a folk song but I'd never heard the original. Seems like they've taking a bit of a liberty with a fair few of the lyrics. 

We had one of those dansettes too, just without the legs. 

Edited by Webbo

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

I assumed it was based on a folk song but I'd never heard the original. Seems like they've taking a bit of a liberty with a fair bit of the lyrics. 

We had one of those dansettes to, just without the legs. 

There are usually multiple sets of lyrics for these old folk songs, I think - probably mangled by different ballad singers down the decades/centuries, so there isn't really a "correct" set of lyrics.

I just prefer the "far-famed Kerry" reference for mock-chauvinistic reasons. Just checked Wiki and apparently the song dates back to at least the 1850s, but possibly to the execution of a highwayman in 1650...

I loved that dansette machine and spent ages, as a small boy, playing my folks' records on it, before graduating to radio, pop & rock of my own generation and home-taping on blank cassettes in the 70s.

I remember being really impressed that, if you stacked them carefully, you could put 10 singles on that dansette and they'd come on one after the other......impressively high-tech, I thought!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I loved that dansette machine and spent ages, as a small boy, playing my folks' records on it, before graduating to radio, pop & rock of my own generation and home-taping on blank cassettes in the 70s.

I remember being really impressed that, if you stacked them carefully, you could put 10 singles on that dansette and they'd come on one after the other......impressively high-tech, I thought!

I think it was 8 singles. I used to set it up outside the bathroom door as I had a bath. 

• Like 1

Just now, Webbo said:

I think it was 8 singles. I used to set it up outside the bathroom door as I had a bath. 

I definitely remember it working with 10 - though sometimes it would jump and 2 or 3 would go down at once.

Maybe we had a better dansette than you? :whistle:

Welcome back, by the way!

I don't remember my parents having a turntable despite them being music fans, I used to just play my sisters records on her's, just one of those hi fi multi players which are (looking back) pretty awful, I did buy a Hacker Gondolier about 10 years ago, it was often referred to as the rolls Royce of turntables back in the late 60's/70's...fantastic sound and came with a stereo speaker so you could switch from mono to stereo.  It would stack a load of vinyl too...although I'm not sure vinyl dropping down is the best thing.

I've been purging a lot of my collection and system over the past few years so I don't have it anymore but it was a great turntable.

I remember in my early teens one of us got a radio cassette player. On a Sunday night we'd record the top 40, stop start when the DJ was talking so we could fit it all onto a C60 tape. I know Peter Kay did a joke saying virtually the same but it's all true. I know it was pre FM so it wasn't stereo, but it never seemed to bother anyone in those days.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I remember in my early teens one of us got a radio cassette player. On a Sunday night we'd record the top 40, stop start when the DJ was talking so we could fit it all onto a C60 tape. I know Peter Kay did a joke saying virtually the same but it's all true. I know it was pre FM so it wasn't stereo, but it never seemed to bother anyone in those days.

Yep and the frustration of the DJ speaking over the intro/outro destroying all your 'work'.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Webbo said:

That's how I started off, too. I think it was Tom Browne, the DJ, and only Top 20 at first - but on Sunday, as you say. Then I graduated to the mid-evening weekday slot (Mike Read was the main one, I think) and then John Peel.

Before ever having a radio-cassette player, I had a flat, stand-alone cassette recorder with a little plug-in plastic external microphone. That was difficult as it recorded any noise in the room or outside the window. Didn't work too badly for the radio in the bedroom, but was a nightmare trying to record songs off TOTP on TV. I could usually persuade my parents to keep quiet for a song, not so easy with my little brother - and then there was the dog. Somewhere I've still got a home-recorded cassette from 1975, with the long-deceased dog whining to get into the lounge right in the middle of Cockney Rebel's "Make me smile".  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, some eccentric dance moves by Freddie & the Dreamers there, @Crinklyfox:blink:

Do you remember how such moves went down at the time? I'm far too young to remember. I like the songs but would've found those dance routines a bit offputting! 

Mind you, the singer has a good leap on him in that first one. He could be the big man we need at LCFC to come off the bench and stick his nut on a few crosses in the box. lol

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes, some eccentric dance moves by Freddie & the Dreamers there, @Crinklyfox:blink:

Do you remember how such moves went down at the time? I'm far too young to remember. I like the songs but would've found those dance routines a bit offputting! 

Mind you, the singer has a good leap on him in that first one. He could be the big man we need at LCFC to come off the bench and stick his nut on a few crosses in the box. lol

I can't remember anyone trying to imitate Freddie Garrity.  The dance moves and Freddie's appearance made the band unique and Freddie's leaps were the subject of conversation (he did get injured from time to time).  So he would probably have been in the treatment room as long as Ian Marshall.

• Haha 1