Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rossiboy19

Blackburn spend 8 million on Rhodes and we are supposed to be the big spenders?

That's a lot of ifs and possiblys for £4.5m/£8m though.

I dont think it is Babs..

Blackburn have showed that they must have money... Murphy (wages), Etuhu, Kazim, now Rhodes....

I think this thread comes across a little like sour grapes in part.

I didn't see anyone moaning last season when Sven et al went out and blowed a kings ransom on quite a few new 'stars'.

Even fat Johnno was met, on here, with the usual happy claps ( me included)

It's Blackburn's turn and in Rhodes they have signed a player that most would have loved here. Or so I would suspect anyway.

Blackburn have showed that they must have money... Murphy (wages), Etuhu, Kazim, now Rhodes....

It's more to do with the perception/ myth that we are "buying promotion" while others seem to be pleading poverty, when it's not the case at all.

He has a league one strike rate not far off Matty Fryatt. It's a huge gamble to spend that money on someone who has never done it in a league above league one.

I wouldn't want us spending that kind of money on a league one player. Far too big a risk for my liking.

73 goals in 126 appearances for Huddersfield. 1 goal : 1.72 games

8 in 8 for Scotland U21s.

Fryupp

79 goals in 248 games for LCFC, Walsall and Carlisle (to add balance for the championship stint for us I've added his time in the lower leagues)

1 goal : 3.14 games

He's a quality player ... I'll have a Tenner with anyone that thinks he'll score less than 20 goals this season.

Guest MattP

I don't think the money for Rhodes is at all crazy.

If he fires them to the Prem then they'll recoup the transfer fee tenfold.

I assure you even if Rhodes does fire them to the Premiership they won't be selling him for 80million.

Hey Waller you need my Specs me thinks :D here's one to contemplate I firmly believe Vardy will score more goals than Rhodes, my opinion.

I sincerely hope you're right specs ... i think that will put him on 22-25 for the season and I'd take that anytime!!!!

I didn't see anyone moaning last season when Sven et al went out and blowed a kings ransom on quite a few new 'stars'.

Even fat Johnno was met, on here, with the usual happy claps ( me included)

It's Blackburn's turn and in Rhodes they have signed a player that most would have loved here. Or so I would suspect anyway.

Just because a club has money doesn't mean they should spunk it left right and centre and sod the risk.

Did people moan last year? Well we only paid big fees for Beckford and Mills. Beckford (at the time) seemed reasonable at £2.5m for a player who scored loads in league one and didn't disgrace himself in the premier.

Mills there was quite a few people questioning the amount of money and he was the captain of a team just in the playoff final! Who they had already paid a few million for!

I'd be bitter if they paid a couple of million not that amount as I wouldn't want to take the risk. I think there is better value to be had aroundand we could strengthen several areas.

I assure you even if Rhodes does fire them to the Premiership they won't be selling him for 80million.

No, but they will accept the £90m that comes with promotion .... maybe he should have been more accurate and said 11 fold.

Just because a club has money doesn't mean they should spunk it left right and centre and sod the risk.

Did people moan last year? Well we only paid big fees for Beckford and Mills. Beckford (at the time) seemed reasonable at £2.5m for a player who scored loads in league one and didn't disgrace himself in the premier.

Mills there was quite a few people questioning the amount of money and he was the captain of a team just in the playoff final! Who they had already paid a few million for!

I'd be bitter if they paid a couple of million not that amount as I wouldn't want to take the risk. I think there is better value to be had aroundand we could strengthen several areas.

Okey doke.

Maybe Blackburn see signing Rhodes as a business investment?

Like we did Mills and Beckford!!

lol

:o

If Rhodes scores 20 goals and Blackburn go up then it'll be a good buy.

If that dosn't happen then it won't.

I'm glad we are being more sensible getting in 2 reasonable strikers in Vardy and Futacs who could be assests but won't break the bank either.

No, but they will accept the £90m that comes with promotion .... maybe he should have been more accurate and said 11 fold.

As long as they can accept the risk he doesn't make the step up then fair play to them. If they get stuck with a player on £35k+, who nobody will buy, when the parachute payments run out it might look a very risky move. It is a risk I would prefer someone else to take.

If Rhodes scores 20 goals and Blackburn go up then it'll be a good buy.

If that doesn't happen then it won't.

I'm glad we are being more sensible getting in 2 reasonable strikers in Vardy and Futacs who could be assests but won't break the bank either.

Exactly.

I sincerely hope you're right specs ... i think that will put him on 22-25 for the season and I'd take that anytime!!!!

I rate Rhodes too Waller but when my son told me the price I did the tradesmans sharp intake of breath, do think 8 mil is a milllstone price tag though, especially when you read some peoples comments about 1 mil for a non league player! Rhodes certainly has that predatory instinct and so does Vardy IMO be interesting to see how it unfolds.

73 goals in 126 appearances for Huddersfield. 1 goal : 1.72 games

8 in 8 for Scotland U21s.

Fryupp

79 goals in 248 games for LCFC, Walsall and Carlisle (to add balance for the championship stint for us I've added his time in the lower leagues)

1 goal : 3.14 games

He's a quality player ... I'll have a Tenner with anyone that thinks he'll score less than 20 goals this season.

So you are including Fryatt games from when he was 16 and including championship games also? That's fair!!!!

He scored 32 in 52 for us and 20 in 46 for Wallsall his last year there when he was two years younger than Rhodes is now.

So that's what roughly 1.88 over his last two league one seasons. So as I said comparable for league one.

I'd want more than 20 for that money. When we got Nugent free scoring 15 was it and Fryatt cost £1m for Hull and got 16!!

So you are including Fryatt games from when he was 16 and including championship games also? That's fair!!!!

He scored 32 in 52 for us and 20 in 46 for Wallsall his last year there when he was two years younger than Rhodes is now.

So that's what roughly 1.88 over his last two league one seasons. So as I said comparable for league one.

I'd want more than 20 for that money. When we got Nugent free scoring 15 was it and Fryatt cost £1m for Hull and got 16!!

I was actually trying to be fair - but couldn't find a break down to compare individual seasons.

The fact is that a 79 goals in 126 games is his current form, not form going back a few years, or adjusted etc etc .... He's no bargain, but i think £4.5m rising to £8m is spot on for a 22 year old with that scoring rate - and if I were a manager with the possibility of signing him I would in an instant.

This guy could mature into a top player and this price tag look cheap .... we know that Fryatt will never be a top player as he has severe pace limitations. Not comparable players in value for me.

I was actually trying to be fair - but couldn't find a break down to compare individual seasons.

The fact is that a 79 goals in 126 games is his current form, not form going back a few years, or adjusted etc etc .... He's no bargain, but i think £4.5m rising to £8m is spot on for a 22 year old with that scoring rate - and if I were a manager with the possibility of signing him I would in an instant.

This guy could mature into a top player and this price tag look cheap .... we know that Fryatt will never be a top player as he has severe pace limitations. Not comparable players in value for me.

And to think.. 'Keano' let him go on a free!

:thumbup:

And to think.. 'Keano' let him go on a free!

:thumbup:

To Huddersfield?? Undisclosed fee according to wikipedia?

I've enjoyed reading about him - fastest headed hattrick for huddersfield amongst his accolades ..... and all time scotland u21 scorer!!

To Huddersfield?? Undisclosed fee according to wikipedia?

I've enjoyed reading about him - fastest headed hattrick for huddersfield amongst his accolades ..... and all time scotland u21 scorer!!

Yep....will you be reading about him costing £800,000 a goal though :P I'm quite enjoying being on the dark side!

That's the top & bottom of it and all there really is to the matter. People don't get it

No it isn't at all.

You are making one big assumption - That the limit to the investment that the owners want to / are able to is a little bit more than £57m.

It's not that people "don't get it", it's that there's more to "get" than £57m is the limit of what we are willing to invest in a promotion push that will instantly bring in £90m.

Archived