Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rossiboy19

Blackburn spend 8 million on Rhodes and we are supposed to be the big spenders?

Clear out I understand.. Completely.

Not then strengthening in key areas I don't understand.. At all.

BUT who knows? The window ain't shut yet....

I believe NP is pretty happy with his 11 + 7 and the combinations of that would not expect a lot more activity in incomings myself 2 at most if that.

I am fuming with this thread. Get a grip. This is a football club, you getting all jealous because we're not spending as much money as other clubs? How much money did we spend last year? What happened? Rhodes will be a flop with that price tag and on big wages. And even if he does well, so what. Blackburn are a bigger club than us. Ever heard of financial fair play. This is why we are getting rid of the high earners at the club who are simply not doing anything. I would rather have a football club than be like Portsmouth. We are doing things sensibly this year. Just support your club and be happy we have a really good championship team and manager. Just think back about 5 years - where were we then? We had De Vries as our main striker. Delusions of Grandeur.

Where is our ambition? We have an expensively assembled squad, quite a few of players would be on enough wages to have seen us beat Premier clubs in signing them, Thai's invested around £20m in the playing side... What exactly do you mean, where is our ambition?

It's been blown. The gamble failed... we now have to earn our our right to be near the top, so it's about time we all pulled together and stopped living in dream world where we want the manager out every 2 fvcking minutes... and get behind whoever is in charge and the frickin team.

we got most of that back from sale of mills Blackburn have parachute payments and money from sale of players

Any one think we may lose Beckford by Friday. He hasn't exactly had much game time of late

He started the first two and came on as sub (albeit it for 5 mins). I think it's more to do with rotation, Beckford can produce, we just need it to be on a regular basis. So I doubt he'll go, I could be wrong though.

On the actual subject, £8million is an awful lot of money for a player who is only proven in league 1. I mean how ridiculous is that? The pressure of having such a high price being paid for him could affect his performances. If he doesn't score or play well game in game out the fans will turn on him. Might turn out to be a bit like Beckford with the abuse.

On a lighter note, at least we didn't take a gamble on him for that OTT price.

the fee is actually only about 4.5 million, the bottom teams in pl all receive about 50 million in tv and commercial plus they have rich owners, the fee only becomes 8 mill if blackburn get promoted and Rhodes scores loads and plays loads.

there would be no point going in for someone like Rhodes because we have lots of strikers and i think we have a steal in Vardy looks well capable of scoring as many as Rhodes.

the fee is actually only about 4.5 million, the bottom teams in pl all receive about 50 million in tv and commercial plus they have rich owners, the fee only becomes 8 mill if blackburn get promoted and Rhodes scores loads and plays loads.

there would be no point going in for someone like Rhodes because we have lots of strikers and i think we have a steal in Vardy looks well capable of scoring as many as Rhodes.

To be fair though £4.5million raising to £8million is crazy, even with the parachute payments. I also thought the owners had little or no money, thus not being able to get rid of Kean. I could be wrong but that's the impression I've been under.

I understand the fact we do have a number of strikers but how many are proven at this level, fully I can only think of Nugent and Beckford. With the exception of Waghorn, but he's not been the same player he was since his loan spell with us. As for Vardy, he has a lot about him, I agree that he is a coup, he runs all day and harasses deffenders, just like Hume, but he was hardly prolific. If by the end of the season he has turned out to score a crazy amount of goals ( which I dearly hope he does) and out scores Rhodes i'll be happy and you can say "I told you so". :)

To be fair though £4.5million raising to £8million is crazy, even with the parachute payments. I also thought the owners had little or no money, thus not being able to get rid of Kean. I could be wrong but that's the impression I've been under.

I understand the fact we do have a number of strikers but how many are proven at this level, fully I can only think of Nugent and Beckford. With the exception of Waghorn, but he's not been the same player he was since his loan spell with us. As for Vardy, he has a lot about him, I agree that he is a coup, he runs all day and harasses deffenders, just like Hume, but he was hardly prolific. If by the end of the season he has turned out to score a crazy amount of goals ( which I dearly hope he does) and out scores Rhodes i'll be happy and you can say "I told you so". :)

I don't think the money for Rhodes is at all crazy.

If he fires them to the Prem then they'll recoup the transfer fee tenfold. If not then they have possibly the best young striker outside of the Prem for 4.5 million.

What did we pay for Mills?

I'd love a strike force of Rhodes and Vardy at Leicester.

:facepalm: .... Just like the ambition we showed last year with all the 'big money signings'.

Yes.

Why is this always trotted out as the only argument against ambition... "We tried it one season and it didn't get us promoted within 13 games"?

Lack of spending doesn't mean you have no ambition, and 'unknown players' (( :rolleyes:)) doesn't mean they are useless. Remember, we spent a lot of money last year, and where did that get us? And no disrespect to Rhodes, Blackburn have spent £8million on him, and he hasn't really played at Championship level before. Of course, that doesn't mean anything because Morison and Austin have both converted to top Championship strikers, but would you really like to see us spending £8million on a striker? I know, at the current time, I wouldn't.

I would LOVE to see us spend £8m on Rhodes.

You muppet. Throwing extortionate money at footba...sorry, average footballers is NOT showing ambition. Buying young, hungry players to build an AMBITIOUS team is however.

Rhodes. Average. And you are calling someone a muppet??

If he fires them to the Prem then they'll recoup the transfer fee tenfold. If not then they have possibly the best young striker outside of the Prem for 4.5 million.

I agree in a sense that he does have a lot of potential and that if he does score loads of goals and progresses then they will have made a very good investment. However I feel that the price tag may affect him, it did with Mills. I know about the whole Mills saga, and in all fairness that was stupid money. However saying that I thought he would have done wonders for us and look how that turned out.

To be fair though I would have Nugent/ Beckford and Vardy partnership, that to me is ideal. Two work horses and Beckford who, on his day can be a great asset.

Rhodes. Average. And you are calling someone a muppet??

He has a league one strike rate not far off Matty Fryatt. It's a huge gamble to spend that money on someone who has never done it in a league above league one.

I wouldn't want us spending that kind of money on a league one player. Far too big a risk for my liking.

He has a league one strike rate not far off Matty Fryatt. It's a huge gamble to spend that money on someone who has never done it in a league above league one.

I wouldn't want us spending that kind of money on a league one player. Far too big a risk for my liking.

What did we pay for your mate?

:whistle:

lol

That's a lot of ifs and possiblys for £4.5m/£8m though.

At the end of the day, buying any player without experience is a gamble, some pay off and others just fail miserably.

Time will tell if he's good enough, but as Babs said, his L1 record is very similar to Fryatt's and is worse than Beckfords at L1.

As long as he doesn't score against us I'm not fused.

Archived