Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
adamrwood

Pearson bad man-management skills?

So, after another win and a showing of great team spirit and togetherness not seen since Pearson was last here, does anyone think Pearson's getting rid of bad eggs such as Beckford, Mills et al still means he has bad man-management skills? I never doubted that Pearson getting rid of these players was because they didn't contribute positively towards the team spirit. Though I know many others thought otherwise. That Pearson couldn't handle big names etc. I even think the team spirit is as good now as, dare I say it, the O'Neil era! Many others have also said Pearson won't do well in thec Premiership and he hasn't brought the right players in for that league. These players are still young and are going to improve their form and team spirit further and we are already the best team in this league, even if the table doesn't currently show it! With a couple of quality additions in the summer I think we have the potential to make a mid table position in the prem next season! Remember where you heard it first!

Yes that was handled badly by Pearson and you've even highlighted the need for additions in your own post. It wasn't dealt with early enough, it was always pretty obvious that Beckford was not a "Pearson Player" and there were rumours he was going all summer yet out he jogged against Peterborough, when he did eventually work out the obvious it didn't leave us enough time to get a replacement in, which is bad management, and I'll think that whether we are 24th or 1st. The club doesn't have enough seasoned goal scorers to call upon, espeically when compared with other challanging clubs.

Before anyone starts I do not think Pearson should be sacked, I do not think Beckford should be re called, I do not think Pearson is a bad manager. That situation was mis handled, the fact we are doing well doesn't change that.

I have so much respect for how Pearson has turned this around. People were wanting him sacked after he failed to get us into the play-offs last season but he needed time. Look at what he achieved at Hull, saved them from admin, cut the wage bill down massively and they were in the play-offs when he left. He was a miracle worker first time around here and is slowly emulating that now.

I can reel a list of decisions that have contributed to our current success:

1) Getting rid of the two most overrated clowns that were Bamba and Peltier and bringing in replacements of Morgan and De Laet, two players at least 2 or 3 gears ahead.

2) Moving Beckford on. I genuinely believe it has nothing to do with his attitude but more the way he plays. He is not a Pearson type striker, he CANNOT hold the ball up!

3) Having faith in young players with great potential like Schlupp, King, Drinkwater, Marshall, Knockaert, Waghorn, Schmeichel, Moore. It's scary that we have these many young players who have MUCH better years ahead of them at a higher standard.

4) By being a boring manager he keeps us out of the limelight unlike the circus that Sven attracted. It has eased a lot of pressure on the players and allows them to play with greater freedom.

5) I have not seen one performance from a player yet in recent games where you could say 'he doesn't give a shit'. Even big Futacs came on against Wednesday and tried to put a shift in and grab a goal and was willing to be involved despite speculation linking him with a move away.

Yes that was handled badly by Pearson and you've even highlighted the need for additions in your own post. It wasn't dealt with early enough, it was always pretty obvious that Beckford was not a "Pearson Player" and there were rumours he was going all summer yet out he jogged against Peterborough, when he did eventually work out the obvious it didn't leave us enough time to get a replacement in, which is bad management, and I'll think that whether we are 24th or 1st. The club doesn't have enough seasoned goal scorers to call upon, espeically when compared with other challanging clubs.

I presume by the fact you blame Pearson for this you know we had offers for Beckford and we refused to let him go?

I have so much respect for how Pearson has turned this around. People were wanting him sacked after he failed to get us into the play-offs last season but he needed time. Look at what he achieved at Hull, saved them from admin, cut the wage bill down massively and they were in the play-offs when he left. He was a miracle worker first time around here and is slowly emulating that now.

1) Getting rid of the two most overrated clowns that were Bamba and Peltier and bringing in replacements of Morgan and De Laet, two players at least 2 or 3 gears ahead.

2) Moving Beckford on. I genuinely believe it has nothing to do with his attitude but more the way he plays. He is not a Pearson type striker, he CANNOT hold the ball up!

3) Having faith in young players with great potential like Schlupp, King, Drinkwater, Marshall, Knockaert, Waghorn, Schmeichel, Moore. It's scary that we have these many young players who have MUCH better years ahead of them at a higher standard.

4) By being a boring manager he keeps us out of the limelight unlike the circus that Sven attracted. It has eased a lot of pressure on the players and allows them to play with greater freedom.

5) I have not seen one performance from a player yet in recent games where you could say 'he doesn't give a shit'. Even big Futacs came on against Wednesday and tried to put a shift in and grab a goal and was willing to be involved despite speculation linking him with a move away.

Super post....

I think Nigel just has his own way of doing things, sometimes we will agree and sometimes we won't but Nigel won't mind either way. He understands that results will bring success and he will keep his job as long as the results keep going our way. He doesnt pander to reputation or whinging or chinese whispers. Every player will quickly know how it is and will take it on or reject it. If he does it his way then he can have no regrets. The team seems more of a unit than it has done for some time, It may not be the only reason we are where we are but it must be having some positive effects.

His bluff style does sometime make me cringe a bit, but over all he is good for us.

When he came in the first time we had been a mess on the pitch since Adams left us, he has turned us into a formidable unit at this level again but there is a long way to go yet.

Bad management, no way, remember the years between Adams and Pearson first time around and then Sousa, that was bad management, unfortunately.

Very good post

When he came in the first time we had been a mess on the pitch since Adams left us, he has turned us into a formidable unit at this level again but there is a long way to go yet.

Bad management, no way, remember the years between Adams and Pearson first time around and then Sousa, that was bad management, unfortunately.

Not all of that was down to bad personal management, there was the little matter that we were one of the most skint clubs in the league and we were on a shoe string for a 2-3 seasons of that.

Not all of that was down to bad personal management, there was the little matter that we were one of the most skint clubs in the league and we were on a shoe string for a 2-3 seasons of that.

True. I remember when our biggest signings were the likes of Andy Johnson on a free from West Brom... Makes me shudder!

True. I remember when our biggest signings were the likes of Andy Johnson on a free from West Brom... Makes me shudder!

Horsfield on a free, Stephen Hughes for 100k. People have short memories. Never a huge fan of Levein or Rob Kelly but it's not hard to see how they failed with the squad they had.

I was a big fan of Max, really wanted him to succeed here, but he didn't for whatever reason, the main one being though is that he wasn't good enough at that time. It was a risk to send him on loan as there was always the chance he would be happier at Leeds getting first team football. Pearson stated he didn't want to sell him, but Max wanted to go.

We were doing pretty well without him and he was enjoying his spell at Leeds. I don't see anything untoward underhand or sinister about it all. Young talented footballer fails to make the grade at a football club, it is not a new phenomenon.

Gradel was superb for Leeds. Probably the biggest talent we had since the premier league days. I dont know a single Leeds fan who wouldnt welcome him back here with open arms.

But at the same time as already said, he could lose his head and I could see why a manager might see him as disruptive. Saying that though, in his final season here he seemed to have calmed down and was excellent.

Archived