Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foz.foz

Atmosphere

If the fans were that bothered about atmosphere, they'd sing and create an atmosphere. The truth is that the majority just dont give a shit.

Blame stewards, the club, Sky, all seater stadiums etc etc. The lack of atmosphere is down to the fans as much as a good atmosphere is down to them. If people are bothered, start fvcking singing!!!

If the majority of people at the KP wanted an atmosphere there'd be one.

The majortiy don't.

It's a shame, but that's how it is. The club is happier, now, to have families in match after match. Football used to be about the lads, now it's about the wife and kids. Nothing can be done about it really.

If the majority of people at the KP wanted an atmosphere there'd be one.

The majortiy don't.

It's a shame, but that's how it is. The club is happier, now, to have families in match after match. Football used to be about the lads, now it's about the wife and kids. Nothing can be done about it really.

Its got nothing to do with the club IMO. The club dont stop 'the lads' from going to the game. There's plenty of groups of mates in the ground, the problem is most of them are more interested in their iphones or beating the half time queue for a beer than they are the game.

Guest MattP

If the fans were that bothered about atmosphere, they'd sing and create an atmosphere. The truth is that the majority just dont give a shit.

Blame stewards, the club, Sky, all seater stadiums etc etc. The lack of atmosphere is down to the fans as much as a good atmosphere is down to them. If people are bothered, start fvcking singing!!!

A lot of things take blame, pricing mainly I'd say, a lot of the 'singers' I know are very working class and can't generally afford to go much anymore.

I actually dont give a shit anymore, but I feel like going to the football is a chore now rather than a great Saturday afternoon out which it used to be.

Its got nothing to do with the club IMO. The club dont stop 'the lads' from going to the game. There's plenty of groups of mates in the ground, the problem is most of them are more interested in their iphones or beating the half time queue for a beer than they are the game.

Designating a whole stand to families and placing it where The Kop ought to be, then moving The Kop to the other side of the ground....hardley promoting Pen 1 again is it.

Infact, if I didn't know any better I'd say that it was trying to encourage a family feeling about the ground....the type of family orientated drive that would possibly lead to a shite atmosphere......oh, wait.

See if you can sing over the extra loud pre-match and goal music. These are tools designed to restrict any fan-led atmosphere. As is encouraging people to spend time hanging out in the concourses. The fact is that a vibrant atmosphere leads to trouble which leads to fines. I don't think you'll find any club in the country who have any kind of active interest in improving the fan led atmosphere. Most of them are trying to restrict it. You can blame h&s for that, and it makes it a lot harder for fans to create an atmosphere than it used to be. You're basically working against the club. Maybe one day when attendances drop sufficiently we might see clubs trying to entice people back with the promise of better atmospheres, but while mum & dad and the two kids are happy to drop 100 dollar on sitting quietly in a tiny plastic chair for a couple of hours it's only going to get worse.

Why?

They are just a private company that do what all companies do: make as much money as possible by providing a service. Sky have vastly improved the quality of football coverage on the TV and lots of people now seem prepared to pay for it.

They aren't beholden to care about the atmosphere in the grounds; nor do they have a 'duty of care' over the game. Their duty is to their shareholders. Nothing wrong with that per se but surely it is a little naive to expect a private multinational media company to fulfill some kind of social role in the game.

Sky can't buy the rights to broadcast games unless someone sells them to them. Some clubs decided in the early 1990s that they wanted to sell the rights to as many games as possible to the company, and the FA and Football League didn't set a sensible limit.

It's simple.

Firstly The money that is now in the game which is mainly from TV revenue has hugely inflated players wages over the years SKY and the Premier League has existed.

This upward spiral has led to a huge increase in ticket prices, moving the lower class poorer people who would go to games and create atmosphere and noise out as they cant afford it and middle class families in.

Secondly the expectation and attitude of the fans that do go has been changed by SKY. Fans expect wonder games and excitement ever game that we know is not realistic game in game out. This leads to the booing and long silences of fans with arms folded demanding to be entertained.

Of course SKY has also bred a whole new type of fan, the armchair fan.

He / She / IT never goes to a game. Instead they sit on their arse and become attached to one of the big clubs. These Amoeba have often bred and now have kids who also never visit a game. This new type of plastic fan mixed with the rise in ticket prices all fueled by SKY have lead to a decline in atmosphere at grounds.

Its interesting (well it is to me), that those families that are getting slagged off for not being enthusiastic or not creating atmosphere..are surely, the same people who were creating the atmos back in the day.

eg 20 year old in 1990 = 40 year old in 2010.

Maybe its time to look elsewhere other than the family argument?

Its interesting (well it is to me), that those families that are getting slagged off for not being enthusiastic or not creating atmosphere..are surely, the same people who were creating the atmos back in the day.

eg 20 year old in 1990 = 40 year old in 2010.

Maybe its time to look elsewhere other than the family argument?

Point being they are not the same people.

The bloke from 1990 doesn't go any more.

Designating a whole stand to families and placing it where The Kop ought to be, then moving The Kop to the other side of the ground....hardley promoting Pen 1 again is it.

Infact, if I didn't know any better I'd say that it was trying to encourage a family feeling about the ground....the type of family orientated drive that would possibly lead to a shite atmosphere......oh, wait.

I said it another thread that just because its called 'the kop', it doesnt have to be so. L1 is next to the away fans and people like to stand and sing (SK1) so make that the peoples Kop?

Still no excuse. If half the people who moaned about atmosphere in the Kop were singing for 90 minutes, the place would be rocking. Simple. It's always easy to blame someone else for a problem, but the fact is that there is nothing stopping every single person in that stadium singing for 90 minutes if they wanted to. Looks like they don't. Obviously the club are doing more to encourage families to come to games, certainly, but anyone is free to buy a ticket. There are plenty of 'the lads' there - they're usually the ones who are more worried about checking their accumulators for most of the match, the ones you see streaming down to the concourses after about 35 minutes and not emerging until 55 minutes.

See if you can sing over the extra loud pre-match and goal music.

What about the 90-odd minutes when there's no music? I still don't hear much singing.

See if you can sing over the extra loud pre-match and goal music. These are tools designed to restrict any fan-led atmosphere. As is encouraging people to spend time hanging out in the concourses. The fact is that a vibrant atmosphere leads to trouble which leads to fines. I don't think you'll find any club in the country who have any kind of active interest in improving the fan led atmosphere. Most of them are trying to restrict it. You can blame h&s for that, and it makes it a lot harder for fans to create an atmosphere than it used to be. You're basically working against the club. Maybe one day when attendances drop sufficiently we might see clubs trying to entice people back with the promise of better atmospheres, but while mum & dad and the two kids are happy to drop 100 dollar on sitting quietly in a tiny plastic chair for a couple of hours it's only going to get worse.

Such a shame that the singers are so easily defeated by a bit of loud music.

The popular opinion that football clubs want their stadiums full of families sitting down in silence I dont buy into at all. What I do recognise is that too many people in positions of power at football clubs know nothing of a true football atmosphere. They hire some fvckwit with a phd and trust them to enhance the matchday experience. They most likely found some case study showing that loud music increases excitement so cranked it up.

It really wouldnt be too difficult to combat but it needs members of the kop and L,K block to work together rather than continually slag each other off.

Such a shame that the singers are so easily defeated by a bit of loud music.

The popular opinion that football clubs want their stadiums full of families sitting down in silence I dont buy into at all. What I do recognise is that too many people in positions of power at football clubs know nothing of a true football atmosphere. They hire some fvckwit with a phd and trust them to enhance the matchday experience. They most likely found some case study showing that loud music increases excitement so cranked it up.

It really wouldnt be too difficult to combat but it needs members of the kop and L,K block to work together rather than continually slag each other off.

A bit of loud music ? are you deaf. It is blasted outside the ground before you even get in, then non stop till they actually kick off. Even then there is no respite because if we score it is full volume crap music to encourage you to enjoy the moment.

The club treats us like morons because that is exactly what they think we are.

A bit of loud music ? are you deaf. It is blasted outside the ground before you even get in, then non stop till they actually kick off. Even then there is no respite because if we score it is full volume crap music to encourage you to enjoy the moment.

The club treats is like morons because that is exactly what they think we are.

I've heard it and yes its loud but its not THAT loud. if 500 people sang in harmony constantly it would drown it out quite easily.

It still begs the question why we have to have it at all ?

I agree with that. Like I said before, it'll be some div who's done some 'research' thinking its a good idea. At least at Filbert Street they played Ainleys Album of the week over the tannoy so at least it had something to do with something.

If you want atmosphere, go to away games!

Standing for 90 minutes with a majority male 16-30 attendance and singing your heart out is still hugely fun for me.

Forget it at home. Too many old boys, women and kids.

What's wrong with wimmin? We've got a couple of crackers (in terms of support...) on this very forum... Bit neanderthal-y to think that its only the 'lads' that want to support our boys.

*Waits for criticism about football being a working, male class game*

What's wrong with wimmin? We've got a couple of crackers (in terms of support...) on this very forum... Bit neanderthal-y to think that its only the 'lads' that want to support our boys.

*Waits for criticism about football being a working, male class game*

Not critism just the truth.

If you want atmosphere, go to away games!

Standing for 90 minutes with a majority male 16-30 attendance and singing your heart out is still hugely fun for me.

Forget it at home. Too many old boys, women and kids.

Spot on. I don't bother singing at home games (shame on me, I know) because I know no-one else will join in with me.

Away games, however, are quite a different matter. Almost everyone is happy to sing and if you ask for a seat at the top of the stand you're guaranteed to get people standing and shouting their head off.

It's at foreign grounds beyond the KP where the excitement really is IMO, new places to see, better fans, supporters standing up, densely packed stands and more competitive football matches. Home games can sometimes seem a bit of a functional occasion - go to the game, get the three points, move on.

Archived