Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
muzzy1981

Midfield

The blend of youth and experience in Defence and Attack is excellent but I feel our midfield is simply too young and our old guard midfielders aren't top of the league players.

The quality in our squad has come on immensely since Nigel has been back but I feel we should have strengthened with experience in this area.

Got a strong feeling play-offs are looking likely with other teams hitting really strong form. If we don't go up we will be in a very strong position for next season, much like Cardiff have been this season following their play-off final loss last year.

Keep the Faith!!!

Changed yer tune a bit aintcha?

I've been saying this all season..

Pardon? Changed my tune about what exactly, I've said numerous times we struggle against 5 in midfield.

You've been saying we need a DM all season, that's not our problem.

Pardon? Changed my tune about what exactly, I've said numerous times we struggle against 5 in midfield.

You've been saying we need a DM all season, that's not our problem.

No, what I've been saying is a 'defensive midfield' backed up by a defensive midfielder. I've made it completely clear that I wanted to see a Neil Lennon type player, sat just off the back four, to mop up, with the other two midfielders given licence to get forward in front of him.

I've said this many times.

And I've also said I believed such a player would have not given so many sides the time they've had around our area to score 'wonder goals'.

I believe I've been right on this all season and still believe it.

You, I'm pretty sure, have gone with the 'midfielders being both attackers and defenders' option. In a 4-4-2?

Unless I'm seeing things..?

No, what I've been saying is a 'defensive midfield' backed up by a defensive midfielder. I've made it completely clear that I wanted to see a Neil Lennon type player, sat just off the back four, to mop up, with the other two midfielders given licence to get forward in front of him.

I've said this many times.

And I've also said I believed such a player would have not given so many sides the time they've had around our area to score 'wonder goals'.

I believe I've been right on this all season and still believe it.

You, I'm pretty sure, have gone with the 'midfielders being both attackers and defenders' option. In a 4-4-2?

Unless I'm seeing things..?

So you've been saying you want us to play 3/5 in midfield all year? Really?

F me. The sooner we lose/draw these two games in hand so people can stop bleating on about them, the better.

Half the time I actually find it hard to argue against some of your points because they can be quite valid, but this is a ridiculous post. We have two games in hand, that's a fact, we can still walk away from them with 6 points, we can still keep the gap between the top two relatively close. I'd say that's enough of a reason to keep talking about them.

Half the time I actually find it hard to argue against some of your points because they can be quite valid, but this is a ridiculous post. We have two games in hand, that's a fact, we can still walk away from them with 6 points, we can still keep the gap between the top two relatively close. I'd say that's enough of a reason to keep talking about them.

Ah, but consider the following. The main problem a lot of posters have is that the football has deteriorated, we look devoid of ideas and don't look like picking up results any time soon.

The fact we have two games in hand is about as much consolation as having another 6 bullets left after emptying 50 magazines at a predator and not having dispatched it.

If you are winning your games, those 2 games in hand mentally look like +4 or +6 points.

When you're playing like we are and the manager is evidently a bit clueless (or unwilling) about resolving the issues, it starts to look more like +0, +1, +2 points, and the possibility or worsened goal difference.

Too many on here seem to see those 2 games in hand as a reason to feel ok about throwing points away.

Ah, but consider the following. The main problem a lot of posters have is that the football has deteriorated, we look devoid of ideas and don't look like picking up results any time soon.

Sums things up really, 5th is good but compared to how we looked we are poor, it is very disheartening

Probably because they are playing against an extra man most of the time. They are getting no tactical support from the bench are seem expected to plug on against 5 men.

I'm sure NP would say that his tactical response to opponents with a 5-man midfield is to instruct Nuge to drop back and assist the midfield a lot - and for the central midfielders to move the ball quickly and create width, bringing the wide players & full backs into play and pulling the opposition about the pitch to disrupt their structure. However, there's definitely a case for playing 3 central midfielders in some games (4-3-1-2 with Knocky given a free role as the "1"?; 4-5-1, even, in some tough away games?)

While we might occasionally concede a wonder-goal like Haynes' last night, I don't think our defensive record is bad enough to justify tying someone down in a Lennon-type role (though that might well be necessary if we went up). However, King could play that "3rd man" role as his positional sense and blocking is excellent (even his tackling is not exactly Lennonesque) - extra cover when defending, but breaking forward to pass the ball around and make late runs into the box.

The blend of youth and experience in Defence and Attack is excellent but I feel our midfield is simply too young and our old guard midfielders aren't top of the league players.

The quality in our squad has come on immensely since Nigel has been back but I feel we should have strengthened with experience in this area.

Got a strong feeling play-offs are looking likely with other teams hitting really strong form. If we don't go up we will be in a very strong position for next season, much like Cardiff have been this season following their play-off final loss last year.

Keep the Faith!!!

Good, balanced & thought-provoking OP. You have a point re. our youthful midfield (midfield the problem again, as it has so often been over the last few years). I like your positive attitude, too, even if the worst happens (disappointing though that would be). We're only a little bit short of being a very good side - which wasn't the case 12 months ago. Will the owners see it that way if we don't go up, though?

So you've been saying you want us to play 3/5 in midfield all year? Really?

Away from home.

Yes I have..

It's our away form primarily that has let us down.

And it's no coincidence that so many of the goals we've conceded have been from around the edge of our own area.

The Wolves game was a case in point, where big Doumbia picked up the second ball, fed it to his team-mate (who's name escapes me) and bang... It was in. Super strike yes, but he wasn't closed down so had all the time he needed to steady himself.

We've conceded too many goals like these this season.

And yes, I know this particular game was a home fixture.

I only listened last evening but it seemed that from when he scored and until the end Wood played as we would expect. The team had changed and that gave him some room ? Knockaert perhaps needs a rest and Marshall needs to be in the middle behind Nugent and Wood. If he is off form then Gallagher in that role. Problem with Gallagher is he always looks to pass backwards. Dyer as always made a difference.

Are midfield gets bullied and goes missing to regular, Marshall has been missing all season and wont get stuck in to a tackle,king I wish would make a tackle and stop bottling it, drink water inconsistent, knockeart gone of the boil and is a luxury player, James can be good but Like drink water inconsistent. And for me that's where the game is won and lost, and due to the lack of consistent performances and a bit of fight the midfield has cost us a lot of points. A lot of people blame the defence but when the midfield goes missing as often as it does, they are bypassed and the defence can't cope. For me we looked short on confidence, and fight last night and with a small squad I cannot see who in our current squad of players has the character or ability to change it.

Archived