Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Useless Fact I Just Worked Out...

.. as I'm bored as the missus is watching fookin American Idol.

Good to hear someone else has been similarly emasculated. My missus has been watching Made In Chelsea for the last hour or so - it has to be the most infuriating programme I've ever had the misfortune to watch.

Sorry to ruin your night further but i'm sure I've heard that fact somewhere already :(

I don't think so

Depends how you define it. The City of Bradford (~500k) metropolitan area is bigger than Leicester (>300k) but that includes the likes of Shipley and Bingley which I'd argue are different places. If you take Bradford (~300k) itself then Leicester is bigger.

Yes. That is a list that shows the City of Bradford Metropolitan area population in there which, as mentioned, includes surrounding towns that aren't actually Bradford. Here is a list that I think represents it more accurately - it's not using Governmental districts but "localities" as defined by the Office of National Statistics

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_localities_in_England_by_population

"localities are based upon the actual built-up area and cannot extend beyond a single physically contiguous urban area"

According to those figures, Wakefield is bigger than Cardiff, Belfast, Nottingham, Leicester & Newcastle. Where they getting their figures from?

Much like Bradford, there is a City Of Wakefield Metropolitan area that includes the surrounding towns (like Pontefract which is 10 miles away). Wakefield itself has a smaller population.

Ultimately this leads to the question of how you define a city. Just because there is a "City of..." Metropolitan area should that class as the city's population? I'd argue it shouldn't given that Bingley and Shipley are clearly different places to Bradford and Pontefract is clearly a different place to Wakefield (for example). Yorkie 1999 disagrees.

Archived