Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willy37

most over rated band?

Babylon, I think you are confusing over rated with over hyped.

The Libertines are over hyped, they are given more column inches than their album sales deserves.

Are they over rated?

Well I personally think they made Briitsh indie music passionatte again when it is in constant danger of becoming predictable and presribed. For that, and for revitilising the Live music scene in London, they deserve a lot of credit and critical acclaim.

A band such as U2 can't be overhyped. They have sold milliosn of records and sell out massive venues ona consistent basis. They are however obviouslty and undeniably over rated. There music is uninspiring and has become increasingly predictable. Yet because of their commrical sucess, which shows nothing about their artisitic merit, they are ranked by some as one of the greatest of all time.

For the record I believe Queen to be the most ove rated band of all time. They have no good alums and some of the most annoying songs ever put on record. Their iconic status seems to be born out of sheer force of personality, Freddy being undeniably charismatic.

147523[/snapback]

I quote Damon Albarn "Pete Dougherty is extremely over rated. I'm thinking of starting a make Dougherty hisory campaign". I'm not the only one who thinks the same.

If the Libertines weren't over rated they would have sold more full stop.

Sorry if I spelt any names wrong.

I havent read anyone elses posts on this but in my VERY humble opinion The Libertines/Babyshambles bollocks are completely overated. Im thinking though, my overhatred of Pete Doherty is clouding my judgement somewhat.

I havent read anyone elses posts on this but in my VERY humble opinion The Libertines/Babyshambles bollocks are completely overated. Im thinking though, my overhatred of Pete Doherty is clouding my judgement somewhat.

147759[/snapback]

I knew i could rely on you. :)

If the Libertines weren't over rated they would have sold more full stop.

If you think there is a relavence between artistic value and records sold. Many GREAT artist don't carry commercial appeal, soemone like Nick Drake barely sold a record when he was alive.

I know you are not the only one who thinsk the Libertines are over rated and I agree they are ridiculously over hyped. I just think there it is becoming fashionable to jump ona band wagon saying they did nothign for British music and that they are essentially talentless, when they have completely revitilized the live music scene in london. As for Albarn, this and slagging of Live 8 strike me as a desperate plea for publicity.

If you think there is a relavence between artistic value and records sold. Many GREAT artist don't carry commercial appeal, soemone like Nick Drake barely sold a record when he was alive.

I know you are not the only one who thinsk the Libertines are over rated and I agree they are ridiculously over hyped. I just think there it is becoming fashionable to jump ona band wagon saying they did nothign for British music and that they are essentially talentless, when they have completely revitilized the live music scene in london. As for Albarn, this and slagging of Live 8 strike me as a desperate plea for publicity.

147788[/snapback]

This is essentially true, not all bands/musicians etc have or want the publicity and exposure that others receive.

However...The Libertines and later Babyshambles would not have had the exposure that they have if it wasnt for Doherty attempting to make drugs look 'cool' and having a 'celebrity' girlfriend. It doesnt disguise the fact though that that both bands are shite!

147788[/snapback]

It's your opinion he is good. Most disagree as not that many have bought his stuff. ;)

This is essentially true, not all bands/musicians etc have or want the publicity and exposure that others receive.

However...The Libertines and later Babyshambles would not have had the exposure that they have if it wasnt for Doherty attempting to make drugs look 'cool' and having a 'celebrity' girlfriend. It doesnt disguise the fact though that that both bands are shite!

147794[/snapback]

To make a point clear, I dislike Doherty's antics as much as the next person. He sold his and The Libertines sould to the tabloids and his currently motley crue are just a bunch of parasites without a tune.

I was just fortunate enough to witness the early Libertines gigs and they were some of the best nights of my life. In and around London they will forever be remembered as underground heroes, no matter how much Pete drags their name through the mud.

It's your opinion he is good. Most disagree as not that many have bought his stuff

You assume the only quality measure of pop music is units sold. This is patantly absurd, the charts always have been and always will be filled with unimaginitive crap that people buy because its catchy.

As for the definition of 'rated'. surely critical acclaim falls into this too and how much the music means to people. A lot of people own records by The Spice Girls, but knowbody lives their life by the words that they say. Artists such as Dylan and Radiohead have a profound effect on the way people looka t life and others refer to artists such as Morriessey as an important part of their life.

This can only be true of artistic pop music, which doesn't always sell by the bucket load!

Artists such as Dylan and Radiohead have a profound effect on the way people looka t life and others refer to artists such as Morriessey as an important part of their life.

147828[/snapback]

But they have sold loads.

I'm not saying it is an exact science. But you need to be able to measure how successful a band is somehow. The only way is through sales. My point in bringing this up was that people were saying Oasis and U2 are overrated and the libertines are great.

Well both of those bands have sold loads, have received good reviews and made music that means a lot to people and other bands.

The Libertines say nothing to me about my life and neither does London in all fairness. Morrissey and The Smiths however, helped me through some very difficult times in my life. I know its all about opinions, some people would say Morrissey is overated (which he quite clearly isnt ;)) and I used to dismiss most Radiohead tunes out of hand without listening to them properly. I have heard The Libertines tunes and do not rate them at all, im sure they are fantastic live but to me they are shite :D

Well both of those bands have sold loads, have received good reviews and made music that means a lot to people and other bands

Well that makes them rated then doesn't it?

So it naturally follows they are contenders for being over rated. If peopel feel that the artistic value of their music does not deserve the critical acclaim and commercial sucess they have received.

The Libertines say nothing to me about my life and neither does London in all fairness. Morrissey and The Smiths however, helped me through some very difficult times in my life. I know its all about opinions, some people would say Morrissey is overated (which he quite clearly isnt  ;)) and I used to dismiss most Radiohead tunes out of hand without listening to them properly. I have heard The Libertines tunes and do not rate them at all, im sure they are fantastic live but to me they are shite  :D

147850[/snapback]

We have a shared demi-god in Morriessey at least. :)

Well that makes them rated then doesn't it?

So it naturally follows they are contenders for being over rated. If peopel feel that the artistic value of their music does not deserve the critical acclaim and commercial sucess they have received.

147852[/snapback]

But more people have bought them than most other bands surely not that many people are wrong???

So your saying the less someone sells the better they are... as long as you like them of course.

I'm trying to use actual facts to determine whether I think a band is over rated rather than dismissing someone just because it's not my cup of tea. I don't like U2 but I don't believe so many people can be wrong about them!

But more people have bought them than most other bands surely not that many people are wrong???

So your saying the less someone sells the better they are... as long as you like them of course.

I'm trying to use actual facts to determine whether I think a band is over rated rather than dismissing someone just because it's not my cup of tea. I don't like U2 but I don't believe so many people can be wrong about them!

There is no right or wrong in music, it is all down to personalk taste. As an art from it certainly can't be measured using facts and figures!

As I have tried to explain, a lot fo people buy U2 records but I question how much that music means to them. On the whole there music is very disposable and any enjoyment is largely superficial. I think every Smiths record ever brought means a lot mroe than every U2 record ever brought if you follow what I mean. I don't liek Bruce Springsteen, but can appreciate his music is inspiring and relavent to peoples lives.

147759[/snapback]

KATY KATY ME DEAR SWEET KATY...

How one can call Libertines overrated whilst loving a shallow band like the Kaiser chiefs is beyond me...You love the Smiths who are immensely deep though which is good! its just so weird innit.... music tastes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4106249.stm

Anyway go on this link and find the interview, even though doherty is a tosser there is undoubted genius there, I think he comes across really well. I'd like it if you watched it Katy! ^_^

Well I've been slagging U2 off quite a bit, but still I couldn't say no when I got the opportunity to see them live here in Copenhagen for free. And they bloody didn't disappoint! Although I don't, and probably never will like their new stuff, they can unquestionably rock the casbah when they play old hits from Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby! They are great performers and it really was an awesome concert that was only made more intense by the absolutely horrible weather. 80.000 people were soaked all the way to their undergarments and were still singing their hearts out.

But I wasn't at all impressed with the songs from their new album, and I can't see what the medias see in it... Great live band that can really get it going with their old hits...but musically they're uninspiring now...

KATY KATY ME DEAR SWEET KATY...

How one can call Libertines overrated whilst loving a shallow band like the Kaiser chiefs is beyond me...You love the Smiths who are immensely deep though which is good! its just so weird innit.... music tastes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/4106249.stm

Anyway go on this link and find the interview, even though doherty is a tosser there is undoubted genius there, I think he comes across really well. I'd like it if you watched it Katy! ^_^

147971[/snapback]

Ryan bud! I do like the Kaiser Chiefs I wont deny it but I actually think they are overated and ive said this before, its just throw away indiepop. Im kind of hoping they will turn into Blur mk2 or something, but maybe that wont happen.

The Kaisers are good when im in a jaunty mood and when im trying to keep myself awake when driving home from Sams at 2am, but, they are way down my list of 'favourite bands'

Loving the patronising tone btw :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
Oasis, Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs

Strokes and The Libertines???? Strokes are pretty much the reason for any indie rock bands existence today and Libertines did so much for the UK music scene at the time. Dann strange choices but I guess I'll respect your opinion :P

144569[/snapback]

Oasis are brilliant! Franz Ferdiand are brilliant! Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant! The Strokes are AWFUL and so are The Libertines. Sorry mate but the bigger bands there are the better bands in this case.

Oasis are brilliant! Franz Ferdiand are brilliant! Kaiser Chiefs are brilliant! The Strokes are AWFUL and so are The Libertines. Sorry mate but the bigger bands there are the better bands in this case.

155580[/snapback]

No worries, you just prefer Pop to Indie then obviously.

No worries, you just prefer Pop to Indie then obviously.

155769[/snapback]

I don't care what you call it but the bands i said are the bigger, more succesful bands and they are also better. I like Green Day, Travis and Katie Melua. I don't like 1 type of music but many different types.

I cant stand either of those bands.

I've said along Kaiser Cheifs are utter tripe , they are so overated its unbeliavable so to are Franz Ferdinand utter utter shite :thumbdown::thumbdown::nono:

I don't listen to Radio 1 at all. I can't remember when i last did and i don't buy music just because it's mentioned in the press. If you don't enjoy the bands i like then bog off. Do i care? No. I don't at all. What i do care about, is people telling me what i should and shouldn't like. All those band have sold many more albums than the rubbish that other people have been saying. Strokes and Libertines are AWFUL! If you want over rated just look at those 2 and they are hardly rated to begin with!

Archived