Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
willy37

most over rated band?

So you think the Libertines have done lots for the music scene??? Come off it FFS... just because that complete muppet is in the sun every day doesn't make them good!!! Babyshambles are 100% worse I might add!!

I liked some of the Libertines stuff, but the comment he made was stupid. How often do you hear someone say that they have inspired them?? Errrr not very. But bands like The Beatles, The Who, U2, Oasis... YES Oasis, get mentioned every other day by other bands.

People on here keep mentioning bands like U2 and Oasis as being over rated and it's doing my head in. I'm not a big U2 fan but bands who have sold that many records ARE NOT over rated. The number of records they have sold proves this. People wouldn't have bought them if they weren't good!! You may not like them but it doesn't mean they are over rated.

NOW.... bands like The Libertines, Babyshambles, The Darkness,  Kasabian are hyped in the papers and music press so much it is ridiculous. They haven't sold the records to warrant that press whatsoever. Don't get me wrong like I said I enjoy the Libertines stuff and I really like Kasabian. BUT they are over rated.

People need to distinguish between their personal preference and bands that are actually over rated

145270[/snapback]

Oasis are a bag of wank always have been, so many samples and conspiracies in their music, such as the opening of 'dont look back in anger' being almost identical to 'imagine' I've always looked upon the band as a joke since being a child.

People need to distinguish between their personal preference and bands that are actually over rated

It's ALL about preference obviously, how controversial have Liam and Noel been? in the sun every week? yes....It's a subdivision of a generation, you sound like a ****ing hypocrite. The Libertines mean a lot to me. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit with my Strokes comment, but so many bands have appeared because of them that I appreciate and maybe you don't. 'Is this it' is one of my favourite albums and I'm not the only ****ing one trust me! I don't know how old you are? But you must understand that comparing Kasabian to Libertines would be complete blasphemy to myself and my peers. That may read back like complete crap - BUT IM MAD!!! Back me up alex i kokopops!

Most ridiculous statement ever.

145134[/snapback]

Hardly, The Stokes arent' great but The Libs are/were top quality and original.

145248[/snapback]

So you think the Libertines have done lots for the music scene??? Come off it FFS... just because that complete muppet is in the sun every day doesn't make them good!!! Babyshambles are 100% worse I might add!!

I liked some of the Libertines stuff, but the comment he made was stupid. How often do you hear someone say that they have inspired them?? Errrr not very. But bands like The Beatles, The Who, U2, Oasis... YES Oasis, get mentioned every other day by other bands.

People on here keep mentioning bands like U2 and Oasis as being over rated and it's doing my head in. I'm not a big U2 fan but bands who have sold that many records ARE NOT over rated. The number of records they have sold proves this. People wouldn't have bought them if they weren't good!! You may not like them but it doesn't mean they are over rated.

NOW.... bands like The Libertines, Babyshambles, The Darkness, Kasabian are hyped in the papers and music press so much it is ridiculous. They haven't sold the records to warrant that press whatsoever. Don't get me wrong like I said I enjoy the Libertines stuff and I really like Kasabian. BUT they are over rated.

People need to distinguish between their personal preference and bands that are actually over rated.

145270[/snapback]

It's indisputable that bands like U2 and Oasis are succesful ones. And they did both do some decent music to warrant their star brand. BUT both bands have had a severe decline in their quality since those succesful years (coincidentally, IMO at least, neither of them have released anything worthwile since the mid-90's). Yet a band like U2 is being heralded by themselves and the press to be 'the worlds biggest rock band'. Of course, one can hardly argue that U2 are one of the best selling bands who are still active today, but quality-wise they are nowhere near 'the biggest' around. And it's doing MY head in to see or hear people worship these pompous arses mainly because the press and TV make them ever so mainstream.

I didn't mind U2 back in the days of Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, but now they have just become a symbol of what I grossly dislike about todays music scene...

Surely you could argue that it's down to personal preference?

I suppose if you really don't like a band but everyone else seems to, surely you personally are gonna think they're overated?

Either way, I still think U2 are piss poor ;)

145813[/snapback]

If that's the case surely we should just name this the bands I don't like thread then??

Oasis are a bag of wank always have been, so many samples and conspiracies in their music, such as the opening of 'dont look back in anger' being almost identical to 'imagine' I've always looked upon the band as a joke since being a child.

It's ALL about preference obviously, how controversial have Liam and Noel been? in the sun every week? yes....It's a subdivision of a generation, you sound like a ****ing hypocrite. The Libertines mean a lot to me. Maybe I was exaggerating a bit with my Strokes comment, but so many bands have appeared because of them that I appreciate and maybe you don't. 'Is this it' is one of my favourite albums and I'm not the only ****ing one trust me! I don't know how old you are? But you must understand that comparing Kasabian to Libertines would be complete blasphemy to myself and my peers. That may read back like complete crap - BUT IM MAD!!! Back me up alex i kokopops!

145993[/snapback]

"you sound like a ****ing hypocrite" Why? I said just because he's in the papers everyday doesn't make them good. What I said goes for every band member out there. The fact is Oasis backed up their hype with record sales. Compare how many records the libertines have sold EVER to Oasis. I would bet any one oasis album has out sold them easily.

Are you thick... I haven't said I don't like the Libertines or The strokes I actually own all of their albums. What I said was The Libertines haven't sold the records to warrant the press they get, thus rendering them over rated. I also never compared Kasabian to The Libertines you #### numpty... read my words again. I said they are both over rated because they get press beyond what they deserve as they have not sold the records.

People seem to be missing the point.... Like I said just rename the thread to "Bands I don't like" as that is all everyone on here is doing.

Probably all new bands are thrown into a fast-turning media whirlpool where they are sucked in in a horrendous tempo, with almost no chance of return.

This is an enormeous danger for creativity. Of course, I wish every band well when they have success, but the originality of the tracks suffer in almost every case. Some examples of overrated (and over-hyped) bands and artists:

- Coldplay (sorry, but I just don't like 'em lol )

- U2 (reached their peak in the mid-90ies; especially the recent two to three albums were just pure sell-out)

- Oasis :sick:

- Michael Jackson (when's the last time he has released a creative album that stands on its own?)

- Jamiroquai (where's the spirit of the 90ies?)

- Black Eyed Peas (get rid of Fergie and start again! ;) )

- The White Stripes

- Backstreet Boys (please no more albums!!! The nightmare of a whole generation :sick: )

- Shakira (Aaaahhh!!! :S )

- Mariah Carey (Great voice, no doubt, but her attitude... :unsure: )

- Dido (I fall asleep... :mellow: )

- Evanescence (Please no more albums, either...)

- Nickelback (probably the most monotoneous music I've ever heard)

- Rammstein (Pfftt... There's better stuff in Germany, very clichee-ridden bunch of egomaniacs)

- Celine Dion (anything else besides cheesy lovesongs?)

- Bon Jovi (never liked them or their music... Will I now get a massive slash from female fans??? lol )

145885[/snapback]

female fans? stuff the female fans.. I will kick the shit out of you boy.. have you ever been to see them live? This band is immense.. New Jersey and Keep The Faith two of the greatest albums ever.. :mad:

Surely over rated bands should refer to ratings/reviews not sales. I can't get into EMO no matter who I try so I can't judge that.

Therefore IMO The Libertines (give or take 3-4 songs) are a band I can't get into, Pink Floyd are another. In a different genre, 2Pac and Biggie don't do it for me, but hey, I'm sure I'm alone on that, but they are overrated to me.

With Oasis they are over hyped but not over rated IMO, the 2 albums with good reviews (WTSMG? and Defintely Maybe) are quality, but everything else since then (bar 2-3 songs) has been dump.

U2's last few albums have been over-rated but their sheer body of work over the last 25 years means they aren't as a band.

Surely over rated bands should refer to ratings/reviews not sales. 

146285[/snapback]

Problem is though with reviews it's one persons opinion. If that person doesn't like it then it gets a bad review. But it could sell 20million copies... is that one person incorrect or are the 20 million.

I'm basing my argument on media coverage really, papers like the sun and say NME tend to have their favourites who they plug constantly. Saying how great they are etc etc etc. But the actual record sales of some of these bands aren't up to much cop. I suppose an example of this is Keane. I'm pretty sure the sales of hopes and fears out did the Libertines by quite a way. But they are seen as "un cool" and don't really get the media coverage say the Libertines did.

Well you know a general critical consensus for a well known album. I would say bands like the Flaming Lips and British Sea Power and Four Tet were highly rated but not commercial.

If its media coverage then I'd nitpick and say you are arguing about whether a band is over-hyped or not. Sales aren't anything to do with ratings, otherwise you'd argue that Candle in the Wind (2nd version) was the best rated single of all time cause its sold the most.

Did you know that it was number 1 in Canada for about 44 weeks or something daft.

Terrible taste

Well you know a general critical consensus for a well known album.  I would say bands like the Flaming Lips and British Sea Power and Four Tet were highly rated but not commercial.

If its media coverage then I'd nitpick and say you are arguing about whether a band is over-hyped or not.  Sales aren't anything to do with ratings, otherwise you'd argue that Candle in the Wind (2nd version) was the best rated single of all time cause its sold the most.

Did you know that it was number 1 in Canada for about 44 weeks or something daft.

Terrible taste

146306[/snapback]

I think saying a band is non commercial is another way of saying they aren't good enough to be liked by a lot of people.

Your probably correct about over hyped / over rated. But if you go along the review line i have seen both U2 and Oasis actually get good reviews for virtually all of their stuff. Yet people on here are saying they are over rated. I suppose it's an argument that has no right or wrong answer.

I was going to say earlier I didn't mean sales of novelty songs like mr bloody blobby either ha.

"you sound like a ****ing hypocrite" Why? I said just because he's in the papers everyday doesn't make them good. What I said goes for every band member out there. The fact is Oasis backed up their hype with record sales. Compare how many records the libertines have sold EVER to Oasis. I would bet any one oasis album has out sold them easily.

Are you thick... I haven't said I don't like the Libertines or The strokes I actually own all of their albums. What I said was The Libertines haven't sold the records to warrant the press they get, thus rendering them over rated. I also never compared Kasabian to The Libertines you #### numpty... read my words again. I said they are both over rated because they get press beyond what they deserve as they have not sold the records.

People seem to be missing the point.... Like I said just rename the thread to "Bands I don't like" as that is all everyone on here is doing.

146203[/snapback]

I don't think the sale of records has anything to do with the quality of the music. How many records has Britney Spears sold compared to Tom Vek? whose music is better? You might think that is a shit excuse. The Kaiser Chiefs music is technically and lyrically shit and they are overexposed, that's why I think they are wank. I don't think you can say that the Libertines don't back their reputation up with their music. Pete is in the sun everyday but that doesn't affect the music to me. Ask joe bloggs on the street who John Hassall is...I doubt they'll say 'Libertines Bassist'

You are right about Kasabian and Babyshambles etc, Babyshambles are especially #### ridiculous, bought tickets to one of the tour dates and it's all been postponed with no reason given. Now it has emerged that Pete has sacked the rest of the band. Not a tidy investment to say the least :mad:

i like the darkness, an original rock band

144845[/snapback]

Original, my arse!!!

What about the 70's surely thats original?

The Darkness are purely fabricated catchy pop/tribute act for a 70's revival that didn't even happen!!

U2 are well over rated!!! As are most American teen/pop bands.

Original, my arse!!!

What about the 70's surely thats original?

The Darkness are purely fabricated catchy pop/tribute act for a 70's revival that didn't even happen!!

U2 are well over rated!!! As are most American teen/pop bands.

147456[/snapback]

darkness rock, no-one sings rock as high as justin does

- Coldplay - Sorry Matt, but they are the most ridicously over-rated, boring band! I don't know how they've managed to, but they've managed to make 2 songs last 3 albums :ph34r:

- Green Day - Slit your wrists stuff. They make my blender sound like Joss Stone.

- The White Stripes - Sing? They struggle to scream properly

Franz Ferdinand - just living of Take me out

my chemical romance - absolute shite nothing atall different to whats out there already

Eminem - never really got him 5 albums and he still raps about the same stuff.

pink Floyd - I'll proberbly get slaughtered for this choice, but I saw them at Live8 and everone told me how legendary they are, never really saw there "magic" they are not bad but just not legendary.

145391[/snapback]

Yeh you are right there, they can hardly be over rated when their album Dark Side Of The Moon spent 14 years in the American album charts

Babylon, I think you are confusing over rated with over hyped.

The Libertines are over hyped, they are given more column inches than their album sales deserves.

Are they over rated?

Well I personally think they made Briitsh indie music passionatte again when it is in constant danger of becoming predictable and presribed. For that, and for revitilising the Live music scene in London, they deserve a lot of credit and critical acclaim.

A band such as U2 can't be overhyped. They have sold milliosn of records and sell out massive venues ona consistent basis. They are however obviouslty and undeniably over rated. There music is uninspiring and has become increasingly predictable. Yet because of their commrical sucess, which shows nothing about their artisitic merit, they are ranked by some as one of the greatest of all time.

For the record I believe Queen to be the most ove rated band of all time. They have no good alums and some of the most annoying songs ever put on record. Their iconic status seems to be born out of sheer force of personality, Freddy being undeniably charismatic.

- Coldplay - Sorry Matt, but they are the most ridicously over-rated, boring band! I don't know how they've managed to, but they've managed to make 2 songs last 3 albums  :ph34r:

- Green Day - Slit your wrists stuff. They make my blender sound like Joss Stone.

- The White Stripes - Sing? They struggle to scream properly

147487[/snapback]

:o greenday are awesome, especially when they cut the political crap

A band such as U2 can't be overhyped. They have sold milliosn of records and sell out massive venues ona consistent basis. They are however obviouslty and undeniably over rated. There music is uninspiring and has become increasingly predictable. Yet because of their commrical sucess, which shows nothing about their artisitic merit, they are ranked by some as one of the greatest of all time.

147523[/snapback]

I think you'll find most bands become predictable by 40 but U2's early stuff and achtung Baby are fantastic records, Achtung Baby was at the time extremely innovative and different.

Their back catalogue means they aren't over rated, but their recent output has been mostly crap with a few good songs.

Archived