Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Deucalion

Life after Leicester?

Pearson is still our manager as things stand but I just get the feeling he won't be for much longer. My question is this. What kind of career will he have after Leicester?

Pearson arrived at Leicester the first time as an up and coming manager. He had never had a permanent job as a manager but had achieved some pretty impressive things as a caretaker. He had also worked with many experienced people in football.

His first period at Leicester was characterised by the following things:

• Strong defence
  • Fighting spirit
  • Would come back from being behind
  • Good team spirit.
  • He and his team found unknown gems.

He was criticised for the following:

• No plan B/ inflexible
  • Big man/small man long ball football
  • Letting a quality young player leave the club.

He left Leicester under unusual circumstances and went to just relegated Hull. Hull were in financial disarray and many, including me, though he had made a mistake. Instead, he kept Hull in with a chance of promotion while turning around their finances. Hull fans criticised him for being negative, although many from afar, including me, thought they did not appreciate the job he had done for them.

After Sven was sacked, he returned to Leicester. A small minority weren't happy but most, including me, thought we had a talented, pragmatic manager who knew the Championship back. I expected promotion in his first part-season but we fell short. Surely no one could blame him for this however, as he had taken over the mistakes from a previous manager.

On thing which surprised me was how much our team for this season was changed. I thought we had a fair bit of quality left over from Sven's tenure, but instead of utilising this quality, Pearson sold many, at a loss, and loan out more. In their place we brought unknown and young players. Even though our squad was much smaller, many thought the 'young and hungry' approach would pay dividends.

What good things has Pearson done this time around?

• Moved on expensive players
  • Found many talented young players with good potential.
  • Started preparing the club for FFP.
  • Played some fantastic passing and attacking football
  • Beat teams by scoring 6 goals on 2 occasions
  • Had a very hard to beat defence.
  • Occupied the top six for most of the season
  • Been top of the league.

Bad things have been:

• Rumours of personality clashes with players
  • Criticised for no plan B/ inflexibility
  • Late season scoring crisis
  • Late season individual errors crisis
  • Terrible run and performances towards the end of the season.

Conclusion

I think Pearson's time at the club is coming to an end. The bottom has well and truly fell out and there are no signs Pearson can turn it around. I do not think he is a bad manager however. At a club with less of an immediate imperative for promotion he would do well. He is great at building reasonably successful sides while managing the finances too. I don't know whether this is now what the owners want but fans are finding the lack of immediate success frustrating.

I also think Pearson is a pretty reasonable manager in the Championship. He managed Leicester to their first playoff position for many years, kept Hull in the hunt for promotion, and this season has had Leicester in the top six all year and in the automatic promotion places at times. I am beginning to suspect there are 'cleverer' managers out there though. Some managers seem to able to stop Leicester playing and considering the quality available to Leicester, this should not be so easy.

The most puzzling aspect to Pearson's season is the current slump. There are more questions than answers regarding this. Has he lost the changing room? Have there been bust-ups with players? We don't know, we are just guessing. The only thing which is certain is that we are on an atrocious run and Pearson does not appear to be able to turn it around.

I think Pearson will be sacked, either immediately or at the end of the season. I will be sorry about this, however not because I think it is wrong for Pearson to go, but because he had the promise for things to be so much different.

To answer the original question, I think Pearson will get another job in the Championship and maybe one day be promoted to the Premier League. However I have totally lost faith in him.

Pearson is still our manager as things stand but I just get the feeling he won't be for much longer. My question is this. What kind of career will he have after Leicester?

Pearson arrived at Leicester the first time as an up and coming manager. He had never had a permanent job as a manager but had achieved some pretty impressive things as a caretaker. He had also worked with many experienced people in football.

His first period at Leicester was characterised by the following things:

• Strong defence
  • Fighting spirit
  • Would come back from being behind
  • Good team spirit.
  • He and his team found unknown gems.

He was criticised for the following:

• No plan B/ inflexible
  • Big man/small man long ball football
  • Letting a quality young player leave the club.

He left Leicester under unusual circumstances and went to just relegated Hull. Hull were in financial disarray and many, including me, though he had made a mistake. Instead, he kept Hull in with a chance of promotion while turning around their finances. Hull fans criticised him for being negative, although many from afar, including me, thought they did not appreciate the job he had done for them.

After Sven was sacked, he returned to Leicester. A small minority weren't happy but most, including me, thought we had a talented, pragmatic manager who knew the Championship back. I expected promotion in his first part-season but we fell short. Surely no one could blame him for this however, as he had taken over the mistakes from a previous manager.

On thing which surprised me was how much our team for this season was changed. I thought we had a fair bit of quality left over from Sven's tenure, but instead of utilising this quality, Pearson sold many, at a loss, and loan out more. In their place we brought unknown and young players. Even though our squad was much smaller, many thought the 'young and hungry' approach would pay dividends.

What good things has Pearson done this time around?

• Moved on expensive players
  • Found many talented young players with good potential.
  • Started preparing the club for FFP.
  • Played some fantastic passing and attacking football
  • Beat teams by scoring 6 goals on 2 occasions
  • Had a very hard to beat defence.
  • Occupied the top six for most of the season
  • Been top of the league.

Bad things have been:

• Rumours of personality clashes with players
  • Criticised for no plan B/ inflexibility
  • Late season scoring crisis
  • Late season individual errors crisis
  • Terrible run and performances towards the end of the season.

Conclusion

I think Pearson's time at the club is coming to an end. The bottom has well and truly fell out and there are no signs Pearson can turn it around. I do not think he is a bad manager however. At a club with less of an immediate imperative for promotion he would do well. He is great at building reasonably successful sides while managing the finances too. I don't know whether this is now what the owners want but fans are finding the lack of immediate success frustrating.

I also think Pearson is a pretty reasonable manager in the Championship. He managed Leicester to their first playoff position for many years, kept Hull in the hunt for promotion, and this season has had Leicester in the top six all year and in the automatic promotion places at times. I am beginning to suspect there are 'cleverer' managers out there though. Some managers seem to able to stop Leicester playing and considering the quality available to Leicester, this should not be so easy.

The most puzzling aspect to Pearson's season is the current slump. There are more questions than answers regarding this. Has he lost the changing room? Have there been bust-ups with players? We don't know, we are just guessing. The only thing which is certain is that we are on an atrocious run and Pearson does not appear to be able to turn it around.

I think Pearson will be sacked, either immediately or at the end of the season. I will be sorry about this, however not because I think it is wrong for Pearson to go, but because he had the promise for things to be so much different.

To answer the original question, I think Pearson will get another job in the Championship and maybe one day be promoted to the Premier League. However I have totally lost faith in him.

Wow

I want him to stay but if he does leave or get sacked he would more than likely go to a mid-table championship team. Definitely not good enough tactically for the premiership IMO. But he has a good eye for talent and works well within budgets.

It's very strange.

Judging him up until the end of January, I'd suggest he's still got a very promising career.

I've never seen such a collapse before though. I've never seen a team look that good to suddenly look so bad within a couple of months.

So, no idea.

He is nothing more than an average championship manager can spot a player but that is about it although I would hazard a guess that is more to do with Steve Walsh he alienates players he wouldn't stand a chance in the prem better off refining his skills with another team.

Thanks for your first spell NP but that is about it.

It's very strange.

Judging him up until the end of January, I'd suggest he's still got a very promising career.

I've never seen such a collapse before though. I've never seen a team look that good to suddenly look so bad within a couple of months.

So, no idea.

With Peter Taylor's slump, I could understand why.

Basically the further we got from O'Neill's side and the more we became Taylor's side, the worse we got.

I do not understand what has gone wrong this season.

Pearson will probably end up doing well at Leeds.

he'll never manage at the top level. well, okay, he might do. but he will never be successful at the top level because it's proven that he can't manage or deal with players who have big ego's. and are the ego's of players bigger, the higher the standard of football is? yes they are. he's too abrasive a character for me.

Can see him somewhere like Burnely, Charlton etc. He will go to another half decent club after he leaves us (which I believe will be after today).

At the end of the day if we had Big Sam in charge and not Pearson this season I have no doubt we would be going up. For me Pearson hasn't quite got what it takes to change his approach when it all starts to go pear shaped and as a result he is capable of going on horror runs that decimate seasons.

Archived