Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nod.E

Much More Than 3 Points

Tonight's result was huge. It doesn't take any in depth analysis to establish that. However, at the risk of tempting fate, I believe it could be the game that swings everything in our favour.

Why? Have a look at our fixtures and the fixtures of the teams around us. Obviously being in sixth spot puts our fate in our own hands, but on understanding our surroundings I think we're more in control than visible at first glance.

Palace are in absolute free fall. Even more so than we were before tonight. We have been playing well and have been unlucky to have not won a good number of games recently. Palace, however, have been subjected to some severe batterings. They face us, Peterborough, Blackburn and Millwall. Not only are all of those teams fighting for their lives, they're on the up and will be playing with confidence against a Palace team that will surely be running on zero. Peterborough have beaten Watford and Cardiff and drew to Brighton and Middlesbrough in the last 5 games. In fact, you have to go all the way back to February for their last defeat against a resurgent Bolton.

Millwall have only lost one of their last 7 in the league, including wins against us and Watford. Blackburn, though not in the best of form, won tonight and will be on the up, and have the class in their team as well as the desire to not be relegated which I believe will see them beat a fleeting Palace side.

In my opinion, if we beat them, which we are perfectly capable of doing, especially considering tonight's confidence boost and the dramatic nature of their downfall, we don't have to worry about Palace.

Forest are also without a win in 5 games. As we've found, it can prove incredibly difficult with the pressures of the situation we find ourselves in to turn around such a fruitless run of fortunes. The pressure is on them still to produce a win, whilst we have relieved that pressure and will feel optimistic about our prospects. The difference that can make psychologically in our upcoming games is astronomical, giving us the upper hand against Forest, who also face Millwall, and Barnsley, two teams fighting for their lives.

With Brighton also turning in poor performances and seemingly crawling over the finish line in to the play-offs. Apart from the Leeds game, they too face relegation candidates playing with extra heart and desire in the form of Blackpool (4 points from 22nd) and Wolves. The nerves for those teams in the relegation fight promote a beaten-lion-esque type response, rather than the comical flailing nervous wrecks that the play-off candidates face having worked hard for their places all season. For promotion candidates, it's more a fear of wrecking what has been built compared with a determination of relegation candidates to fight until the end with every last drop of energy they have.

So, in reality, the main threat to our play-off position is Bolton, who are top of the form table. We've just beaten them. That's how massive tonight was. We have just beat the biggest threat to our minimum of 6th spot. They will probably earn more points than Forest, Palace and Brighton in their remaining games, so for us to beat them and stay above them is a huge bonus. Hopefully it may also give them the jitters and put a spanner in their form, though.

In summary, what I'm saying is all of the teams around have much more reason to be nervous than we do after tonight. And in a game as emotional as football, in the drama that is the play-off dash, that can be all that is needed to make all of the difference, as we have seen from our nervous displays of late.

And, do you know what? Watford are in shocking form, too. Granted the form book goes out of the window in the play-offs, but I'd fancy us against Brighton, Palace, Watford or Forest now. And we've just proved we can beat Bolton! In a bizarre turn of events, I think I'd rather be a Leicester fan right now than any other team in the play-offs bar Watford (but thanks only to their guaranteed spot in the play-offs).

The wind is in our sails. We have nervy teams left to play who are all in shocking form. Let's keep this confidence going. I really do believe it could make all of the difference.

Tonight's result was huge. It doesn't take any in depth analysis to establish that. However, at the risk of tempting fate, I believe it could be the game that swings everything in our favour.

Why? Have a look at our fixtures and the fixtures of the teams around us. Obviously being in sixth spot puts our fate in our own hands, but on understanding our surroundings I think we're more in control than visible at first glance.

Palace are in absolute free fall. Even more so than we were before tonight. We have been playing well and have been unlucky to have not won a good number of games recently. Palace, however, have been subjected to some severe batterings. They face us, Peterborough, Blackburn and Millwall. Not only are all of those teams fighting for their lives, they're on the up and will be playing with confidence against a Palace team that will surely be running on zero. Peterborough have beaten Watford and Cardiff and drew to Brighton and Middlesbrough in the last 5 games. In fact, you have to go all the way back to February for their last defeat against a resurgent Bolton.

Millwall have only lost one of their last 7 in the league, including wins against us and Watford. Blackburn, though not in the best of form, won tonight and will be on the up, and have the class in their team as well as the desire to not be relegated which I believe will see them beat a fleeting Palace side.

In my opinion, if we beat them, which we are perfectly capable of doing, especially considering tonight's confidence boost and the dramatic nature of their downfall, we don't have to worry about Palace.

Forest are also without a win in 5 games. As we've found, it can prove incredibly difficult with the pressures of the situation we find ourselves in to turn around such a fruitless run of fortunes. The pressure is on them still to produce a win, whilst we have relieved that pressure and will feel optimistic about our prospects. The difference that can make psychologically in our upcoming games is astronomical, giving us the upper hand against Forest, who also face Millwall, and Barnsley, two teams fighting for their lives.

With Brighton also turning in poor performances and seemingly crawling over the finish line in to the play-offs. Apart from the Leeds game, they too face relegation candidates playing with extra heart and desire in the form of Blackpool (4 points from 22nd) and Wolves. The nerves for those teams in the relegation fight promote a beaten-lion-esque type response, rather than the comical flailing nervous wrecks that the play-off candidates face having worked hard for their places all season. For promotion candidates, it's more a fear of wrecking what has been built compared with a determination of relegation candidates to fight until the end with every last drop of energy they have.

So, in reality, the main threat to our play-off position is Bolton, who are top of the form table. We've just beaten them. That's how massive tonight was. We have just beat the biggest threat to our minimum of 6th spot. They will probably earn more points than Forest and Brighton in their remaining games, so for us to beat them and stay above them is a huge bonus. Hopefully it may also give them the jitters and put a spanner in their form, though.

In summary, what I'm saying is all of the teams around have much more reason to be nervous than we do after tonight. And in a game as emotional as football, in the drama that is the play-off dash, that can be all that is needed to make all of the difference, as we have seen from our nervous displays of late.

And, do you know what? Watford are in shocking form, too. Granted the form book goes out of the window in the play-offs, but I'd fancy us against Brighton, Palace, Watford or Forest now. And we've just proved we can beat Bolton! In a bizarre turn of events, I think I'd rather be a Leicester fan right now than any other team in the play-offs bar Watford (but thanks only to their guaranteed spot in the play-offs).

The wind is in our sails. We have nervy teams left to play who are all in shocking form. Let's keep this confidence going. I really do believe it could make all of the difference.

As usual, one win and the forum turns on it's arse once more. Sooo predictable.

If we go away to Palace and win then I think we have a cracking chance. I expected us to win tonight to be honest. We gotta go away and do the same. Beat them, we're 5th...

Exactly,there is no point in looking to statistics in the Championship this season, we can't call or predict our form or next match never mind other clubs,way I see it 9 points from last 3 games = playoffs, it matters not if we play Bristol City or Cardiff City!

Of course it's one game at a time.

I'm not by any stretch saying that's us set to stroll in to the play-offs.

The point I'm making is that we have reason to feel confident, and confidence, as we have seen recently, plays a huge part at the end of a campaign hinging on the play-offs.

We're by no means safe and we could go on to lose our remaining games. That's football. All I'm saying is if I could chose any team to be out of Palace, Brighton, us, Bolton and Forest, I'd probably choose us based on recent form and fixtures remaining. Us or Bolton, who we've just beaten. (Hence the title of the thread.)

The important thing is its now in our hands.

Nobody can take us out of the play-offs except ourselves, which is a great position to be in.

Precisely.

I was essentially trying to make that point while also considering our ability to see out the position we're in, in comparison to the teams around us who will be down on confidence and in my opinion have fixtures less favorable to ours.

Not only is it in our own hands, I think of the teams who's hands its in, we have more right to be optimistic.

Precisely.

I was essentially trying to make that point while also considering our ability to see out the position we're in, in comparison to the teams around us who will be down on confidence and in my opinion have fixtures less favorable to ours.

Not only is it in our own hands, I think of the teams who's hands its in, we have more right to be optimistic.

I don't think so mate.

I know where you're coming from but this crazy division is so full of odd results that anything could still happen.

Palace, for example, will be going through what we've been going through. They will be up for it, make no mistake.

Forest have lost their last two, so will be wanting to bounce back with a win.

Literally anything could still happen. This is why we need to forget the other teams and focus upon our own performances.

If we can go away to Palace and control the game, we'll win.

I disagree with this on the whole.

Dont get me wrong, itsa brilliant win and such a great confidence boost and its also back in our hands. Remember though our away form has been poor all season and it would be an incredible result to go to Palace and win still.

For me Brighton with 66 points and easy fixtures(H to Wolves and Blackpool and Away at a nothing to play for Leeds team) will be in the playoffs and Palace with an extra game and again comfertable fixtures will make it as well IMO. Its between is Forest and Bolton for 6th.

Bolton have away to Cardiff which will be tough even though Cardiff are up already...Bolton IMO wont get more than 4 points from their fixtures meaning 67. Forest have Barnsley H and Millwall A before us so they could quite easily have 69(at worst 67) by when they face us. Meaning we will most likely need to win at Forest or maybe in a situation where a draw will do it(Hope so!). Id say 70 points would be enough with our GD so beat Palace and we have 2 shots at a win in the last 2.

It really still is more likely we wont get it as our run is so much harder than Forests. Forest could easily have 69 after the next 2 meaning even if we did win the next 2(unlikley) we'd still need a draw at Forest.

The one positive is bringing Palace into it means 3 spots up for grabs out of 5 teams..gives us a better chance that others will slip up meaning we probably would make it if we do our own job.

Palace game is massive now, win and we really would be in a great position going into Watford! Id say Palace is a 'MUSNT LOSE' game though, a draw would not be awful but we cannot lose because if so it will more than likely be a long shot again..

64, bolton and forest 66, palace 69, brighton 69..Watford would have so much pressure then.

If we beat Forest and Palace we're there.

Watford is virtually an irrelevance by comparison, although winning it would potentially take some of the pressure off the final game.

That said, I'm still not confident about the Palace game. I've been to 10 away matches this season and we have scored a grand total of 6 goals, taking 3 points in the process.

Let's not forget that we've not just been unlucky recently, we've been frequently dreadful. Just because we've won one game it doesn't mean it's all turned around, even if things are looking up at this very moment.

I disagree with this on the whole.

Dont get me wrong, itsa brilliant win and such a great confidence boost and its also back in our hands. Remember though our away form has been poor all season and it would be an incredible result to go to Palace and win still.

For me Brighton with 66 points and easy fixtures(H to Wolves and Blackpool and Away at a nothing to play for Leeds team) will be in the playoffs and Palace with an extra game and again comfertable fixtures will make it as well IMO. Its between is Forest and Bolton for 6th.

Bolton have away to Cardiff which will be tough even though Cardiff are up already...Bolton IMO wont get more than 4 points from their fixtures meaning 67. Forest have Barnsley H and Millwall A before us so they could quite easily have 69(at worst 67) by when they face us. Meaning we will most likely need to win at Forest or maybe in a situation where a draw will do it(Hope so!). Id say 70 points would be enough with our GD so beat Palace and we have 2 shots at a win in the last 2.

It really still is more likely we wont get it as our run is so much harder than Forests. Forest could easily have 69 after the next 2 meaning even if we did win the next 2(unlikley) we'd still need a draw at Forest.

The one positive is bringing Palace into it means 3 spots up for grabs out of 5 teams..gives us a better chance that others will slip up meaning we probably would make it if we do our own job.

Palace game is massive now, win and we really would be in a great position going into Watford! Id say Palace is a 'MUSNT LOSE' game though, a draw would not be awful but we cannot lose because if so it will more than likely be a long shot again..

64, bolton and forest 66, palace 69, brighton 69..Watford would have so much pressure then.

I think you're looking too much in to league positions.

If you look at the table there aren't actually that many points between the teams, so confidence and the nature of the respective team's nerves, in my opinion, will be the biggest consideration.

No chance of getting to the game tonight and due to a missing laptop power supply unable to even listen to Stringer, clearly some kind of good luck charm...... :)

Great result obviously, anyone at the game have the time to give the rest of us an idea of how we played?

No chance of getting to the game tonight and due to a missing laptop power supply unable to even listen to Stringer, clearly some kind of good luck charm...... :)

Great result obviously, anyone at the game have the time to give the rest of us an idea of how we played?

We won that is all you need to know. ;)

We won that is all you need to know. ;)

Somehow I was expecting that.

I really thought we had blown it, to be honest I probably still do, it is called 'managing expectations'.

Really just trying to work out if our performance was good enough to give me reason to hope, probably not.......:(

Archived