Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Vale Blue

If it was NPs fault we had such a bad run, why did 22 other teams do the same?

Apart from Cardiff and Hull every club in the Championship went on a bad run. Forest looked home and hosed for the play offs and only won 1 of their last 7, Watford looked different class at times and defo for automatic and had a bad run over the last 2 months, Palace did something similar.

The list is endless, so was it NPs fault LCFC had a bad run or is it just one of those things with all Championship teams?

Apart from Cardiff and Hull every club in the Championship went on a bad run. Forest looked home and hosed for the play offs and only won 1 of their last 7, Watford looked different class at times and defo for automatic and had a bad run over the last 2 months, Palace did something similar.

The list is endless, so was it NPs fault LCFC had a bad run or is it just one of those things with all Championship teams?

So we just accept total mediocrity?

Obviously, I'm playing devils advocate to some degree but if a statistician with no bias looked at the Championship stats I would guess he would suggest that LCFCs results followed a familiar trend of good run, bad run. The length of each determines the league position. Opposition seems to not matter, our bad run was against some really poor teams.

The only collapse that was worse than ours was Boro's. Every other team was either already shit or made something of a recovery.

Don't agree with you at all. I'll name you one far worse, Blackburn went from 3rd to 4th bottom

NP had more financial clout at Leicester

We finished 6th, whatever the run.

I also think you ignore how bad a run! You can't compare boro ( skint ) and you can't count Blackburn with the shambles they are!

Bottom line is we underachieved.

Obviously, I'm playing devils advocate to some degree but if a statistician with no bias looked at the Championship stats I would guess he would suggest that LCFCs results followed a familiar trend of good run, bad run. The length of each determines the league position. Opposition seems to not matter, our bad run was against some really poor teams.

Surely it's all about the extent of the bad run- length/ no of games without a win rather than just an unspecified downturn. Ours was massive.

Surely it's all about the extent of the bad run- length/ no of games without a win rather than just an unspecified downturn. Ours was massive.

I've said that myself earlier in the thread. "the extent of the good/bad run determines your league position.

I also think you ignore how bad a run! You can't compare boro ( skint ) and you can't count Blackburn with the shambles they are!

You're making it up as you go along. Blackburn, Bolton and Wolves all had a collection of genuine Premier league players in their squads. We didn't over achieve like Palace or Charlton I agree.

Look, I am a massive NP fan but I'll say this constantly while this subject comes up; of course it was his 'fault'. He is the manager. The team is his responsibility, although he can't influence what happens on the pitch physically... He takes the credit when we sign a good player, and when we win, but he takes the criticism when we lose and when a transfer doesn't work out... Nige knows this as well, of course he does.

Just like any other football manager. And just like any other manager in any organisation.

So we just accept total mediocrity?

Look up the word "mediocre".

Wolves. Bolton. Forest. Birmingham. All clubs that would have set their sights on finishing above us and didn't.

The Championship was very strange this year.

Leicester finished in the playoffs with a record low of 68 points, Wolves got 51 points, usually enough to stay up, and finished second bottom with poor old Peterborough relegated with 54 points !

Therefore points were more evenly spread than usual.  The interesting question is why?  Were the teams at the top not as good as usual, were the teams at the bottom better than usual?  Is it random and never to be repeated?

Answers on a postcard to...

Palace had an awful run like us but they are in the final, does not mean they are sh*t they just hit a bad run of form like ourselves. We are not sh*t like some have said on here we just hit a bad patch like any team can we missed out on automatic yes but we will learn from that we have a very good young squad that can only get better.

Championship sides sorted by their longest run without a league win in 2012/13.

12 games

Huddersfield Town

Wolverhampton Wanderers

11 games

Barnsley

Bristol City

Ipswich Town

10 games

Blackburn Rovers

9 games

Crystal Palace

Leicester City

Sheffield Wednesday

8 games

Derby County

Peterborough United

7 games

Brighton and Hove A

Leeds United

Middlesbrough

6 games

Blackpool

Burnley

Charlton Athletic

Millwall

Nottingham Forest

4 games

Birmingham City

Bolton Wanderers

Cardiff City

Hull City

Watford

Championship sides sorted by their longest run without a league win in 2012/13.

12 games

Huddersfield Town

Wolverhampton Wanderers

11 games

Barnsley

Bristol City

Ipswich Town

10 games

Blackburn Rovers

9 games

Crystal Palace

Leicester City

Sheffield Wednesday

8 games

Derby County

Peterborough United

7 games

Brighton and Hove A

Leeds United

Middlesbrough

6 games

Blackpool

Burnley

Charlton Athletic

Millwall

Nottingham Forest

4 games

Birmingham City

Bolton Wanderers

Cardiff City

Hull City

Watford

Not surprising that Cardiff and Hull went up then.

Both with excellent managers IMO and CONSISTENCY of performance.

Not surprising that Cardiff and Hull went up then.

Both with excellent managers IMO and CONSISTENCY of performance.

I think that's the key - if you look at that list, three of the four sides in the playoffs went at least 7 games without a win.

I don't subscribe to the opinion that Cardiff, Hull and Watford and significantly better sides than Leicester, Palace and Brighton, the former three have managed to grind out wins when they've needed them. How many times have we failed to do that this season, especially in the last third? Just 3 wins and 1 draw extra would have seen us promoted. Fine margins. Those draws against Birmingham and Brighton, and those few narrow losses in that poor run cost us dearly.

The team will learn from this though, and hopefully come back stronger. With a few additions over the summer and a bit of consistency, I'd expect us to be doing a lot better next season, regardless of who is in charge.

I think this is something that can be fixed and finding consistency will be the key to doing well next season.

I dont think its the point, he was going to be the guy that would take us up, and as regarding other teams in the championship dont see many teams that had our class of player have r

shit run like we did ,arnt we forgetting that we were favourites with the bookies to go up ,and ,just after christmas smickle said they didnt know how to lose ,PEARSONS FAULT..SORRRY

Archived