Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

Just been up/down town, not something I do too much these days; now I know there is a lot of building going on but it just struck me that it looks a rundown, dirty, litter ridden dump, for example the expensive paving in Humberstone Gate/Clock Tower is all uneven.

I can't believe we had the nerve to enter the Britain in Bloom competition as a few flower baskets don't disguise the general decay of the City infrastructure.

Are all Cities like this - I think not.

We used to be known as the cleanest City in England and the second most prosperous City in Europe - What's gone wrong?

• Like 2

you failed to mention there is grafiti everywhere in leicester with YBS and COST and being sprayed frequently around the city. I know a policeman who says there trying to track down who sprays these. Most cities are sh*t holes but leicester seems to be on the way down faster than most :(

what does COST stand for? i know YBS is to do with the Baby Squad is it not? as "Baby Squad" and "YBS" are sprayed alot around syston. Desire is also sprayed alot around leicester and the ammount of graffiti is amazing but not alot can be done about it to stop it. going down church gate around 10:45pm last night towards zanzibar i saw about 500 pink and green slips of paper scattered all over the road (which is un-even as mentioned). i feel sorry for the people who have to clear it all up. i hate mess / litter. especially in public places

Just been up/down town, not something I do too much these days; now I know there is a lot of building going on but it just struck me that it looks a rundown, dirty, litter ridden dump, for example the expensive paving in Humberstone Gate/Clock Tower is all uneven.

I can't believe we had the nerve to enter the Britain in Bloom competition as a few flower baskets don't disguise the general decay of the City infrastructure.

Are all Cities like this - I think not.

We used to be known as the cleanest City in England and the second most prosperous City in Europe - What's gone wrong?

147251[/snapback]

Leicester is a dump. I forget how bad it is sometimes, then when I visit another city it brings it all back!!

It's not the fact that Leicester i a dump that upsets me, it's the fact that people don't care that Leicester is a dump. I've seen people dropping litter when there's a bin only a few feet away. Me being me, I usually say something, but all you get is a load of verbal, usually in the universal language of Moron telling me that they apparently pay taxes for someone else to pick their rubbish up for them without realising that the money spent on cleaning up after them could actually go towards creating youth centres for their offspring, and better day care for their parents, for example.

Apathy, lack of respect and the pure idolness of the citizens of Leicester that is apparent. That's what really hurts.

all citys are dumps

i rate leicester high above many other cities now

newcastle and london has to be the worst

147321[/snapback]

Newcastle is one of the greatest cities in England!! Have you been recently it has changed a lot with much investment being ploughed into the area and some of it looks amazingly smart. Leicester could learn a lot from the case of Newcastle about how to turn a city from a souless dump (which Leicester essentially is) into a revitalised, cultural and vibrant city.

It is far from perfect but calling it a dump is a bit much. There are many worse places in this country both in temrs of atmosphere and infrastructure. Having said this, I have no desire to live in leicester when I am older. London, Manchester and Bristol are all far more atmospheric.

It's not the fact that Leicester i a dump that upsets me, it's the fact that people don't care that Leicester is a dump.  I've seen people dropping litter when there's a bin only a few feet away.  Me being me, I usually say something, but all you get is a load of verbal, usually in the universal language of Moron telling me that they apparently pay taxes for someone else to pick their rubbish up for them without realising that the money spent on cleaning up after them could actually go towards creating youth centres for their offspring, and better day care for their parents, for example.

Apathy, lack of respect and the pure idolness of the citizens of Leicester that is apparent.  That's what really hurts.

147308[/snapback]

That's certainly true, I strolled up Gallowtree Gate which is very blessed with waste bins yet there was take away rubbish on most of the seats not 1 metre from a bin.

But it's not just the rubbish, although that is appalling it's the general frabric of the place. As I stated up top the Humberstone Gate paving, which I remember was obscenely expensive due to the imported French stone is all over the place, coming loose and uneven. I'd be surprised if the Council are not being sued on a daily basis from people tripping over it.

As soon as I moved up to Sheffield for uni, the first thing that struck me was how much of a better city it is than Leicester. Leicester has really gone downhill as far as cleanliness and the general feel of the place is concerned. I generally go to Sheffield rather than Leicester for shopping purposes even when I'm back home purely because I find it much more enjoyable and its only half an hour longer journey from Coalville.

i think leicester is a bit of a dump and its good to see the generation work around frog island and northgate street will make the city a bit better. i think leeds is a nice city but have to agree with tomassi that newcastle is a shithole along with nottingham . the amount of litter floating on top of the trent is awful

Newcastle is one of the greatest cities in England!! Have you been recently it has changed a lot with much investment being ploughed into the area and some of it looks amazingly smart.  Leicester could learn a lot from the case of Newcastle about how to turn a city from a souless dump (which Leicester essentially is) into a revitalised, cultural and vibrant city.

147334[/snapback]

Newcastle has a glitzy centre, a Mecca of a football ground and a vibrant nightlife but like so many cities it is generally a facade. I drove from the centre to the Norwegian ferry port, taking in places like Wallsend and the endless areas of depression made me miserable.

Thing is.. it seems the worst places has the best nightlife..

i went to liverpool for a national 5 a side tournament about a year ago, i could not believe the state of the power league pitches (equivalent to goals in leicester) and the surrounding areas. Throughout liverpool there were burnt houses everywhere, obliturated buildings in the centre and not a nice place insight. even the dock where this morning is held didnt impress me. however, the night life was amazing.. bars everywhere, plenty of people and lots of fun!! mind u we got beat in the semis to liverpool 5 a side champions :(

many northern cities are like this, mind you Durham was a nice place but it was more of a town. more southern cities are fresher in appearance but generally more expensive. :ermm:

Liverpool is a poo-hole.  I was supposed to be at Uni there, but I only lasted a fortnight, I hated it so much.

147654[/snapback]

"What we need is a great big melting pot." ... and has it ruined all our cities or enhanced them. Indeed are there any good cities left, part from Leicester because, warts and all, I still love Leicester. It's got its depressing sides but it has so much vibrance, so much variety and so much going on. Plus, with the University/colleges etc there are so many young folk and they give a place energy.

more southern cities are fresher in appearance but generally more expensive

If you are referring to London then you have only seen what the tourist sees. All cities have their run down areas and Elephant and Castle in South London has to be the biggest dump I have ever had the misfortune of to step foot in.

Bristol, the other big Southern City, is very attractive but also has its run down estates and what not.

Thing is.. it seems the worst places has the best nightlife..

Well it depends what you look for in a palce to live. I would happily sacridice aesthetic surroundings and luxury living conditions for a city with atmosphere and a tangible culture of enjoyment. I live almsost perfectly between London and Milton keynes, I go to London on a weekly basis and rarely step foot in MK even though its shopping centre is superb as its cinema and all infrastructure.

Edited by TrickyTrev