Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

As an outsider living in Warwickshire and a fan of lcfc for over 30 years, the centre of Leicester is poor, I'm in Liverpool at the moment and their city centre is much better, so much cleaner too. People up here much more polite.

Had to go town today and looking at some people made me feel sick, I saw this lad's mum who I used to go School with in high heel boots, and stockings looking like a hooker, when I was at School she used to have a kid a year. When I look at those types of people, I think these people represent our city.

Also as someone mentioned Sheffield, I have been to the World Snooker Championships 4 times, and it's like a 10 minute walk from the train station, and just for that walking distance I can say that bit alone is far better than any places I've been in Leicester, yes we have done our train station up, but there's pisses over ours.

But people like that come from all cities they aren't exclusive to Leicester you know.

Yes it isn't pretty in places but just think of some of the awesome places we do have that we take for granted.

Bradgate park

Abbey park

Watermead park

National space centre

The grand canal

King power stadium

Three decent hospitals

Numerous quality restaurants in the city centre and around

A top quality shopping centre ; how people can moan at that is beyond me? Yes the high street and gallowtree gate are rough as fvck but that's in the past now, the future is inside nice shiny shopping centres

Nah.

We have a glue sniffer walking down that stretch of the City, pretending to be a bird.

Again, they come in all walks of life. Weirdos are not exclusive to Leicester no matter how much you're convinced. Take a walk down that canal on a nice summers evening and tell me it isn't beautiful. I ran down it numerous times last summer and maybe its my heightened state of thought getting lost in the run but I was simply blown away at the beauty of nature.

Same with braggy park, abbey park and Watermead. All three are totally taken for granted by many of Leicesters residents

• Like 1

Again, they come in all walks of life. Weirdos are not exclusive to Leicester no matter how much you're convinced. Take a walk down that canal on a nice summers evening and tell me it isn't beautiful. I ran down it numerous times last summer and maybe its my heightened state of thought getting lost in the run but I was simply blown away at the beauty of nature.

Same with braggy park, abbey park and Watermead. All three are totally taken for granted by many of Leicesters residents

You're speaking of the county, not the city though as most in this thread are...

Yes it is beautiful, but then you get a glue sniffer walking past you shouting abuse, then you get incredibly scared.

They pushed him in the water across from the Leicester ground once, because he was threatening fisherman with a massive bank stick.

Had to go town today and looking at some people made me feel sick, I saw this lad's mum who I used to go School with in high heel boots, and stockings looking like a hooker, when I was at School she used to have a kid a year. When I look at those types of people, I think these people represent our city.

Also as someone mentioned Sheffield, I have been to the World Snooker Championships 4 times, and it's like a 10 minute walk from the train station, and just for that walking distance I can say that bit alone is far better than any places I've been in Leicester, yes we have done our train station up, but there's pisses over ours.

That part of Sheffield has had major regeneration........around the station, leading up to & around the crucible (that greenhouse thing they do outside broadcasts from when the snooker's on). I've lived in Sheffield & there are many parts that are a shitehole, just as bad as parts of Leicester. You can imagine what was left behind after the steel industry went tits up - that whole area between Meadowhall & the city. Around Bramall Lane, Hillsborough & those flats as you come into Sheffield (& everything behind them). It has some good & some bad - the same as Leicester. The same as most cities.

It's easy to pick your own city to pieces when you know it so well & you know all it's faults. There's some awful parts, but I think there are some genuinely decent parts. On a nice day (even in the winter) I will park at the top of New Walk, next to Victoria Park. Walk down New Walk, up Market Street, through the Lanes, High Street & Highcross. It's actually a nice walk.

I went out with a girl from Derby a while back. Now that is a shithole!! I think I upset her when I asked "is that it? Where's the rest of it?" It's tiny & what there is is made out of concrete.

Nope I love Leicester but it is a shithole. Take the blue tinted glasses off and take a real look at how rundown and shabby it is. Our once superb indoor & outdoor market is not a patch on how it was 10-15yrs ago. There are to many empty units for rent and most of the center now is made up of fast food outlets, bookmakers, pawn shops and charity shops.

The only good thing left and the only reason why I go shopping is St Martins Sq.

Take a look around most city centres. That isn't Leicester, that's the economy.

The majority of the city centre is a dump but you get that in most city's these days.

The nightlife in leicester isn't that bad either specially when we have nice bars down braunstone gate and queens roads.

Leicestershire on a whole is really nice specially the villages. My ex used to live in Arnesby and her family lived in Hallaton they are picturesque little villages with some cracking pubs.

I was in derby at the weekend, there city centre is much better than ours, their equivalent of the shires is twice as good. I wouldn't necessarily say its particuly cleaner, certainly wasn't dirtier.

Earlier today, radio Leicester were doing a thing on people dropping gum in town, the general conception was that it has become a disgusting habit and has angered many people, which shocked me.

You've probably got to go to bradford or coventry to find a worse place than Leicester.

To be fair to Leicester i used to live (owned a house) in Widnes, Cheshire before porting my mortgage to the house i own in Leicester around 5 years ago now and i can only say if people think Leicester is a shitehole then they really need to travel a bit and see other towns and cities because believe me when i say there is much worse out there

To be fair to Leicester i used to live (owned a house) in Widnes, Cheshire before porting my mortgage to the house i own in Leicester around 5 years ago now and i can only say if people think Leicester is a shitehole then they really need to travel a bit and see other towns and cities because believe me when i say there is much worse out there

That's the truth.

It's not the fact that Leicester i a dump that upsets me, it's the fact that people don't care that Leicester is a dump. I've seen people dropping litter when there's a bin only a few feet away. Me being me, I usually say something, but all you get is a load of verbal, usually in the universal language of Moron telling me that they apparently pay taxes for someone else to pick their rubbish up for them without realising that the money spent on cleaning up after them could actually go towards creating youth centres for their offspring, and better day care for their parents, for example.

Apathy, lack of respect and the pure idolness of the citizens of Leicester that is apparent. That's what really hurts.

Suppose being a female doesn't help.

Edited by flowwolf

What do people really expect from this city? Do you expect palaces on every corner? If we were full of expensive high class restaurants and bars would you use them?

We have everything in this city that we need, you can go to the theatre, cinema,football,cricket rugby etc. You can buy anything that you want in the shops. The streets are mostly safe, apart from odd areas, that every city has. What's the big deal?