Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Is the City of Leicester a dump?

I like Leicester, unfortunately the centre just needs a full revamp. Most cities have rough areas just outside the centre leaving you feeling good when you leave as most never see them.

Unfortunately our city hasn't had the money to develop the centre and thus leaving people dissatisfied. There are areas of Leicester especially towards the suburbs that are truly beautiful. Hopefully when we pull out of this economical downfall we will be able to push the city back to its best.

I think the people of Leicester need to take a bit of pride in their city, too, if this thread is anything to go by. Even if it is a shithole, it's your shithole. I think that's an English thing though. Liverpool is probably one of the only places I've been to where nearly 100% of people will tell you it's great, they love living here and being from here.

Well I am back in Lincoln and its such a lovely city, I love the Bailgate area, which has the nice unique pubs. Such as shame because isn't it really Brauny gate where the well to do types in Leicester go out? I like going out in Leicester to the student bars etc but sometimes it seems trashy.

I think the 70's buildings Leicester erected have been bad on the city. Like I said before there are A LOT of shithole and derelict buildings in Leicester which I think the council are helpless over.

Litter is a problem as well, whilst I am not saying its only them, there are a lot of eastern european immigrants as well who are a cause to this.

Edited by lavrentis

• 3 months later...

City bashing is always so tedious, they're all much of a muchness. They've all got charming spots and they've all got minging spots. I was interviewed at Leicester Uni and I quite enjoyed pottering round the centre, it seemed quite pleasant, but the rest seems a bit characterless, particularly the area around the stadium (as is standard these days). Hull always gets knocked, especially by football fans because the walk from the station to the KC is absolutely vile, but the centre and areas like the Marina are quite nice. Asserting that other cities are shitholes makes things even worse because it just maintains the status quo. It's good that Hull and Leicester are up for the City of Culture because it might stimulate some badly needed investment, but all you see is people coming out to big up their city being pilloried.

• Like 1

The highcross and the recession clearly sped up the cities decay, with so many shops moving into a small area in the highcross from other parts of the town, and others going out of business it's left areas that once buzzed with people looking like a ghost town.

If I was in charge I would transform the area leading up to the clock tower where boots is and where topman etc used to be. You have a lot of room on the front of those shops to have restaurants with outdoor areas to try and get that "cafe" culture other cities have. It would at least add something to the walk from the station to the highcross other than empty shops and poundlands. 

• Like 1

Parts a sump others OK. A lot needs doing but only the parts that attract those who will use the theatres and hotels will be given priority. I mean would someone going to the Curve want to visit Braunston or New Parks?

So money spinner areas are up for a revamp. Haymarket bus stops, Jubilee Square Cultual Quarter and Victoria Park. Those are the places the judges for the culture competition will see.  Winning it will attract a few more of the better class and the Council can boast at what a wonderful City Leicester is.

Half of me thinks it's a good idea the other half is a little cynical as you may have guessed. :)

I have always lived here so have seen changes good and bad.

The highcross and the recession clearly sped up the cities decay, with so many shops moving into a small area in the highcross from other parts of the town, and others going out of business it's left areas that once buzzed with people looking like a ghost town.

If I was in charge I would transform the area leading up to the clock tower where boots is and where topman etc used to be. You have a lot of room on the front of those shops to have restaurants with outdoor areas to try and get that "cafe" culture other cities have. It would at least add something to the walk from the station to the highcross other than empty shops and poundlands. 

Those places need to be converted into apartments with shops and cafes below. Not only would you develop the cafe culture but revitalize the inner city.

Narborough Road and the surrounding areas are dumps,thats why i'm moving

some people have no pride in where they live and think nothing about dumping old sofas or mattresses outside of their properties

Edited by rico

Just been up/down town, not something I do too much these days; now I know there is a lot of building going on but it just struck me that it looks a rundown, dirty, litter ridden dump, for example the expensive paving in Humberstone Gate/Clock Tower is all uneven.

I can't believe we had the nerve to enter the Britain in Bloom competition as a few flower baskets don't disguise the general decay of the City infrastructure.

Are all Cities like this - I think not.

We used to be known as the cleanest City in England and the second most prosperous City in Europe - What's gone wrong?

Immigration in general.

• Like 1

I'd rather take the train than risk the inner ring road. ohmy.gif

Try crossing the roads there on foot. I reckon it'e fifty fifty if you make it across!  lol

I love coming back to Leicester, and my other half loves it too. I t has its bad parts but then, so does everywhere else. Come to Wycombe, and you will be glad to get back.

There's more wrong with it, IE run down, derelict buildings than there is right with it- Highcross or whatever else. Often whilst driving through I do understand other teams fans singing, 'Leicesters a shithole..' (I know its a generic chant, but you wouldn't sing it at Harrogate away would you? Some of the COUNTY is outstanding though and not a million miles from being as scenic as the Derbyshire Dales IMO

I like the restaurant/café idea a lot. It doesn't half improve the look of a street

most citys/towns are the same.

unless your talking manchester/brum/london. citys which seem to be large enough to operate 24/7. but even then how far out of the centre do you have to go before it becomes a shit hole and no go area.

central london is full of tourists. londoners have made there money and moved out to essex etc.

birmingham has many wealthy suburbs. people go back into the centre to shop etc. but go home again.

aa mentioned before the highcross draws everything into a condensed space. plus we have places such as fosse park meaning people dont have to go into the town if they choose.

with empty shops producing no income in taxes and ones that are paying rent to private landlords. then tje council have no cash to clean these areas.

the country in general is going to dogs. for every brighton there is a torquay. unless a place has a reputation or notority then they are all much the same.

i work in the sign trade. 27 years our company has beem.trading. but the only work avalible now is discount lower end shops, supermarkets and bookies. we have seen a huge change in trends