Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Wellens Targets Promotion

I am not blaming the players, but it would be interesting to know what reasons have been used to justify the contracts in the first place, but having been on a good screw there is nothing stopping them from changing the deal they are on or moving on.

True, but if my boss came up to me and said 'in hindsight, that contract we gave you was a bit silly. We're trying to make a few cutbacks - any chance you could take a massive paycut or move to a different company where you'll be paid less so we can get your wages off the books?'

Well, I think I know what most people's answer would be to that.

True, but if my boss came up to me and said 'in hindsight, that contract we gave you was a bit silly. We're trying to make a few cutbacks - any chance you could take a massive paycut or move to a different company where you'll be paid less so we can get your wages off the books?'

I can see your point. But that being said the footballing world is very different to the real working world. If the employee in question gave two hoots about the club/company than yeah he would consider it. I guess it all comes down to the individual.

Surely hes made enough wonga over the last few years to be a man about it and do the ethical thing.

I can see your point. But that being said the footballing world is very different to the real working world. If the employee in question gave two hoots about the club/company than yeah he would consider it. I guess it all comes down to the individual.

Surely hes made enough wonga over the last few years to be a man about it and do the ethical thing.

Nothing ethical about it. You're right, football is different from the real working world - you're a long time retired as footballer. I don't blame him for wanting to make as much money as he can before he retires, fair play to him. I blame the ****ing morons who gave him the contract in the first place. When they offered him that contract, they committed to paying him that amount until the end of the contract, simple as. No-one forced them to offer Wellens that amount of money.

No but you would get moved sideways then made redundant.

Also with FFP we are looking at a different scenario both for ourselves and for any other club thinking of taking them on

It really is hard to understand why Gally and Richie have landed up on better long term contracts. Did SEG really think them good enough for the PL ? If so a poor judgement. And why such length of contrac, it's not that either are irreplaceable. It really highlights how poorly our club is being run.

Now as for the OP give Wellens credit at least he his looking to make a go of it AND we can blame him if it all go's wrong

I think at the time they signed their contracts they had both hit their peak.

He can always walk if he wanted to? Or cancel his current deal and sign a new one. These players do have choices and they are aware as much as we are of what is occurring. I tend to judge folk by their actions.

Would you cancel your working contract if you only had a year left on it?

Football is part of the the real world and as many clubs have found out and are still doing so if you get your sums wrong then either some one has to pay up or the club go's bust. Players contracts are not laws of physics but are man made and therefore can be changed. TBF I don't think it's so much the deal he is on with us that is causing the problem, it is more to do with what other clubs can offer. It baffles me after what has happened before how we arrived in this position.

Would you cancel your working contract if you only had a year left on it?

I am self employed but I have looked at different options. So if I felt it was the best for everyone then yes. A settlement is always a option if the all parties involed want to find one. However if players are hanging around in the hope to cash in on bonuses for promotion/play offs and the like then it is a closed door.

And please don't forget an employer can issue it's work force with new contracts which come into effect after 6 weeks so a lot of the comments are not real relevant to a footballers contract.

I completely disagree with people abusing players based on the contracts the club gave to them. There's not a chance I would take a pay cut if I didn't have to, even if I was a footballer playing for my hometown club (possibly with the exception of administration situation a few years back). Remember their career is much shorter than most and a pay-cut can make a huge difference to them in the long run.

Wellens, Danns, Gally, Beckford, SSL ect are all reported to be on big money, but we didn't have to put them on those contracts. It's down to the club to make smart decisions for them, just like the players will now make smart decisions for them. I'll abuse Beckford for being lazy and uninterested but not for earning a fortune (fair play to him for that). The others will get no abuse from me!

Wellens isn't good enough anymore, that's clear, so if we can find another club to take him on then great, but if not I've got no problem with his comments and hopefully he'll give it a good go. If he did stay, we could well need him as back up and he could contribute in important games.

Not a 100% but he is on the list to go, he would not have a high transfer value and I don't think the club would be playing hard ball.

Of course he's on the list to go, but we don't know whether the club will release him for free or expect a fee. Neither do we know if there's been any interest in him.

Archived