Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Wellens Targets Promotion

on the one hand it's proably just his agent getting his name in the papers to  drum up some interest.

on the other hand, if we get rid of enough players he may get in the 1st  by  default.

there's a worrying thought.

He can't pass very well. He can fool people into thinking he's some sort of Championship Xabi Alonso by nailing one 40 yard pass per season (out of one thousand attempts) but he can't pass really. He probably admits that to himself deep down but carries on trying, because when he thinks about it, he can't really play football at all but he's got rich off it. Fair play. If I could get rich doing something I'm not very good at but enjoy I'd do it too. 

He was a great passer of the ball for 2 seasons with us, the only deluded ones are those that just don't like him and so refuse to acknowledge he was ever good for us.

Worthy player of the season winner at one time, too old and past it now. It's as simple as that.

He was a great passer of the ball for 2 seasons with us, the only deluded ones are those that just don't like him and so refuse to acknowledge he was ever good for us.

Worthy player of the season winner at one time, too old and past it now. It's as simple as that.

Totally agree.

He was an average championship player at his peak ..... What planet is he living on?

He's probably trying to put himself in the shop window.

I don't think he can win though. If he was to say something against us/himself then you'll criticise, if he says the other then you still criticise him.

Totally agree.

He's probably trying to put himself in the shop window.

I don't think he can win though. If he was to say something against us/himself then you'll criticise, if he says the other then you still criticise him.

So say nothing????

If he wasn't on crazy Sven wages, I'd say keep him. A very experienced player would be a great benefit for our young midfield and he could probably just about do a job off the bench/if we get injuries, but since he's probably on about £68,000 a week thanks to our Scandinavian chum, then we need to get rid really.

The benefits of keeping him are far outweighed by the costs.

Translation: "I know I won't be playing but I want to sit on the wage I'm getting so I'll pretend I've got a chance of being involved here instead of going to a Club lower down the pecking order and playing more often. That way I can still make top dollar but I'll still look like I'm doing it for the football, know what I mean lad?"

Oh how true that is and the same goes for another player.... How we are now paying for Sven giving out new huge contracts to has been players that are never going to get us promoted. They all bring out the same drivel " I want to play and fight for my place" which translates as I earn a shite load here and I am not moving as I wont earn as much even if I was playing every week.

Guest MattP

Again, Sven says he had nothing to do with the contracts and even if he did why didn't Neville or the owners step in?

They should have.

They should have all been more responsible though.

Why on earth did Sven think we would still need Wellens in 2014 on a massive contract if he geniune plans were to get us to the top flight?

The lack of planning, thinking and common sense from the lot of them is totally laughable.

I am sure I read somewhere that those contracts were actually part of the Mandy regime!

Exactly what I thought but Babs says no. I was certain that they had a right to extending their contract by at least 12 months, I doubt the increase in salary was part of it though.

They should have.

Why on earth did Sven think we would still need Wellens in 2014 on a massive contract if he geniune plans were to get us to the top flight?

The lack of planning, thinking and common sense from the lot of them is totally laughable.

There are people on here who think we should keep Wellens for another season were he not on such a high salary.

I am sure I read somewhere that those contracts were actually part of the Mandy regime!

Hi No

Sven gave new contracts to Wellens and Gally..... and Gally is not going to leave for less money his missus wont let him so he will just sit on the bench every now and then alongside Wellens costing us a fortune and contributing nothing... huge mistake by all involved... and stopping us from signing new players as we cant afford it due to FFP

Guest MattP

There are people on here who think we should keep Wellens for another season were he not on such a high salary.

Wouldn't personally but at least those people know we are in this division.

What I found so bizarre about the contracts handed out by Sven and Neville at the time is that they were 2-3 year deals for players clearly only good enough at this level. If the target was promotion in the first season or two what on earth was the thinking behind this?

So strange.

Wouldn't personally but at least those people know we are in this division.

What I found so bizarre about the contracts handed out by Sven and Neville at the time is that they were 2-3 year deals for players clearly only good enough at this level. If the target was promotion in the first season or two what on earth was the thinking behind this?

So strange.

Wasn't Dyer's contract extended by 4 years? He'll have no pace left by the time it finishes.

As you say all very strange if the expectation was that we'd get promoted.

Again, Sven says he had nothing to do with the contracts and even if he did why didn't Neville or the owners step in?

I don't really care who actually signed the contract. It's Sven's fault to me, always will be, because he was manager at that time.

We are now stuck with players we either can't get rid of, or have to get rid of for free when we maybe could have got a decent fee if they weren't on stupid wages. The whole paying players high wages, from Mills to Beckford, is still effecting us now and having a lasting effect on Nigel's ability to bring in players, but people fail to see that. Instead we have a 'rubbish summer' thread every week.

Andrew Neville has been at this club for years, and we never had this problem before (I know we haven't had that much money in recent years).

I don't really care who actually signed the contract. It's Sven's fault to me, always will be, because he was manager at that time.

We are now stuck with players we either can't get rid of, or have to get rid of for free when we maybe could have got a decent fee if they weren't on stupid wages. The whole paying players high wages, from Mills to Beckford, is still effecting us now and having a lasting effect on Nigel's ability to bring in players, but people fail to see that. Instead we have a 'rubbish summer' thread every week.

Andrew Neville has been at this club for years, and we never had this problem before (I know we haven't had that much money in recent years).

Exactly. Ultimately, the manager is responsible for signing, selling and making the decision to offer contracts to players. The owners sanctioned these because they believed that he knew what he was doing. It's becoming increasingly obvious that, despite all his experience in the top divisions of other leagues, he had no idea what made up a quality Championship team and what attributes made a quality Championship player. You can blame the owners for the ridiculous amount of money they spunked on these players, but you can't blame them for the signing of them - they trusted Sven to identify the players that would deliver promotion for us and it turns out he had no idea.

Can't argue with that, as has been mentioned it was the length of the contracts and extensions that shocked me, so many of these players were/are clearly not of premier quality. Why would you give Dyer a 4 year contact extension if you thought you were heading the the premier?

They should have.

Not a single one of them should be exempt from criticism for their woeful exploits.

As for Wellens, deluded, I also think he was decent for us a couple of years ago and come off it, of course he could pass lol but if we get rid it's probably a year too late.

Hi No

Sven gave new contracts to Wellens and Gally..... and Gally is not going to leave for less money his missus wont let him so he will just sit on the bench every now and then alongside Wellens costing us a fortune and contributing nothing... huge mistake by all involved... and stopping us from signing new players as we cant afford it due to FFP

King & Schlupp as well. Schlupp didn't even ask apparently.

Neville wasn't working in finance.

Hi No

A bit judgemental there, you know that for sure?

Not a single one of them should be exempt from criticism for their woeful exploits.

As for Wellens, deluded, I also think he was decent for us a couple of years ago and come off it, of course he could pass lol but if we get rid it's probably a year too late.

King & Schlupp as well. Schlupp didn't even ask apparently.

Neville wasn't working in finance.

And then went to being the highest paid teenager in the league.

At least with King and Schlupp you could see them being at the heart of a future Leicester side, but Dyer, Gallagher and Wellens? Decent Championship players for sure, and I'm more than happy to see Dyer making regular appearances still, but if the aim was immediate promotion, why on earth give them new lenghty contracts, making it almost impossible to get rid of them. For me, this has been more detrimental to the club than some of the crap signings he made.

Maybe he increased the wages of most players in and around the first team so that tehy wouldn't have their noses put out of joint when he started signing his big money players? That's the only conceivable explanation I can think of, and even that doesn't account for why he gave them such long contracts?

Archived