Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MikeyT

Wellens Targets Promotion

At least with King and Schlupp you could see them being at the heart of a future Leicester side, but Dyer, Gallagher and Wellens? Decent Championship players for sure, and I'm more than happy to see Dyer making regular appearances still, but if the aim was immediate promotion, why on earth give them new lenghty contracts, making it almost impossible to get rid of them. For me, this has been more detrimental to the club than some of the crap signings he made.

Maybe he increased the wages of most players in and around the first team so that tehy wouldn't have their noses put out of joint when he started signing his big money players? That's the only conceivable explanation I can think of, and even that doesn't account for why he gave them such long contracts?

Yeah, exactly. It's something I still don't get, well I think everybody doesn't get!

Dyer, Wellens and Gallagher have contributed well to this club (especially during 09/10 and Dyer played in League One, also) but at that time, surely Sven wouldn't have thought they'd still be vital to the team in three/for years regardless of whether he was actually manager or not (which he isn't of course).

At least with King and Schlupp you could see them being at the heart of a future Leicester side, but Dyer, Gallagher and Wellens? Decent Championship players for sure, and I'm more than happy to see Dyer making regular appearances still, but if the aim was immediate promotion, why on earth give them new lenghty contracts, making it almost impossible to get rid of them. For me, this has been more detrimental to the club than some of the crap signings he made.

Maybe he increased the wages of most players in and around the first team so that tehy wouldn't have their noses put out of joint when he started signing his big money players? That's the only conceivable explanation I can think of, and even that doesn't account for why he gave them such long contracts?

Totally agree with every word yet again.

It's the lack of planning that gets me. Sven is an agents dream because the bloke's softer than Spongebob.

Yeah, exactly. It's something I still don't get, well I think everybody doesn't get!

Dyer, Wellens and Gallagher have contributed well to this club (especially during 09/10 and Dyer played in League One, also) but at that time, surely Sven wouldn't have thought they'd still be vital to the team in three/for years regardless of whether he was actually manager or not (which he isn't of course).

It seemed strange at the time too .... those players didn't even seem to be featuring and were handed new contracts.

It really is hard to understand why Gally and Richie have landed up on better long term contracts. Did SEG really think them good enough for the PL ? If so a poor judgement. And why such length of contrac, it's not that either are irreplaceable. It really highlights how poorly our club is being run.

Now as for the OP give Wellens credit at least he his looking to make a go of it AND we can blame him if it all go's wrong

Unbelievable really that people seriously think the likes of Gallagher, Wellens and SSL would rather sit on the bench and pick up the cash for the remainder of their contracts. It's just simply not true. They're all good lads who train properly and do their best to get into the team. Pretty sure all would love a permanent move elsewhere (within reason) if it meant they could play regularly. The fact is, we've yet to have any firm bids. I'm fairly certain when you're that rich the difference between a few grand a week isn't going to be the be all and end all. In my opinion most footballers want to play. I have nothing against any of them. I also agree with Bert that people are judgemental about certain players. How do we know they are happy to sit here and collect cash without playing?

To suggest our bad run was anything to do with these 3 returning is stupid. It annoys me the stick Gally and Wellens in particular get. They may not be good enough anymore but in the past both have done well. Both seem decent chaps to me and I'm sure they both just want to play football

Did I say that it is the reason for things going wrong ? As for the three in question Wellens has always had a reputation for being a alpha male, I do rate him but do feel he past his sell by date. I will take his statement at face value and he may still have a role to play, but he needs to show he is happy as a squad player. Gallys has never been more than a decent championship player, has to many negatives and his corners became woeful. Yes he has scored some crackers and is a ace penalty taker. I know he has had major personal issues and do feel for him on that front. Even his agent said he should come good at our club but that was in Pearsons first tenure.

SSL the least said the better.

To suggest our bad run was anything to do with these 3 returning is stupid. It annoys me the stick Gally and Wellens in particular get. They may not be good enough anymore but in the past both have done well. Both seem decent chaps to me and I'm sure they both just want to play football

:thumbup:

If that's the case then howcome Wellens hasn't gone to Doncaster? I'm sure Dickov even admitted they were interested.

Because Doncaster didn't bid for him

But surely if he is such a great chap they would have. Same as if he was as good as some like to think he is then he would be in the starting line up for us. It could well be that one year with us is worth the same as a four year deal from a club that would take him and he is unlikely to get a four year deal.

But surely if he is such a great chap they would have. Same as if he was as good as some like to think he is then he would be in the starting line up for us. It could well be that one year with us is worth the same as a four year deal from a club that would take him and he is unlikely to get a four year deal.

And probably wouldnt/couldnt pay the wages he'd want.

If you read my first post, at no point have I said he should be anywhere near our team. He's past it. What I said is, he once did a decent job for us. It irritates me that fans assume because he's still here, it means he wont budge and is happy to not play yet pick up thousands a week. We don't know that. The more likely is that we've had no bids for him so he's got no option but go remain and make himself available

The more likely is that we've had no bids for him so he's got no option but go remain and make himself available

He can always walk if he wanted to? Or cancel his current deal and sign a new one. These players do have choices and they are aware as much as we are of what is occurring. I tend to judge folk by their actions.

He can always walk if he wanted to? Or cancel his current deal and sign a new one. These players do have choices and they are aware as much as we are of what is occurring. I tend to judge folk by their actions.

It's one thing him taking a pay cut in order to get first team football somewhere else but do you really expect him to say 'ok, Sven gave me a deal worth £xxx but I can see now that the club are skint so I'll walk away or sign a new cheaper deal'. Jesus. Would YOU do that?

As I've said, I'm sure that if we had a bid from a decent club, Wellens would go. Pretty sure he wants a regular game at his age

It's one thing him taking a pay cut in order to get first team football somewhere else but do you really expect him to say 'ok, Sven gave me a deal worth £xxx but I can see now that the club are skint so I'll walk away or sign a new cheaper deal'. Jesus. Would YOU do that?

[\quote]

As I have said before a lot of people have had pay cuts forced on them over the last few years so it is not totally unrealistic to consider or ask players to consider this. I could be smug and say yes, but the turth of the matter is it would depend on my personal circumstances and I would hope at this stage of career and with the income I had had over the last two years it is not impossible to say yes.

Oh yeah, he should just cancel his contract or take a massive pay cut. I'm sure you'd do the same in the circumstances. Don't blame these players because they've been put on ridiculous contracts, blame the people that authorised them.

Oh yeah, he should just cancel his contract or take a massive pay cut. I'm sure you'd do the same in the circumstances. Don't blame these players because they've been put on ridiculous contracts, blame the people that authorised them.

Always, ALWAYS blame Wellens.

I am not blaming the players, but it would be interesting to know what reasons have been used to justify the contracts in the first place, but having been on a good screw there is nothing stopping them from changing the deal they are on or moving on.

Archived