Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fleckneymike

What on earth do we do on the training pitch?

Nice piece in The Guardian on a coaching course in Wales with Viera and a few others. In light of our problems playing with too flat a shape and struggling to break sides down (yet last season being over run in the middle) it makes interesting (to me) reading.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/patrick-vieira-sol-campbell-welsh-course-coaching

If you're too lazy to read here are some excerpts.

"Cooper looks at the 4-3-3 formation in detail and talks about building, creating and finishing the attack in that system by constructing lopsided diamonds all over the pitch and establishing "movement patterns" that can be worked on time and again on the training ground."

"For Garry Monk, who has long thought about going into coaching after playing, it was like being on the training ground at Swansea. "It's funny, because when Coops was doing that, I was thinking I'm lucky because I've done so much of that at Swansea," Monk says. "That was what Roberto [Martínez] implemented. We'd do drills similar to that. It would be repetition but it wasn't boring. You realised what it was for and that it was important. If you are trying to get your philosophy across, it's a very good way to implement it, in terms of the patterns of play.""

"Back at Dragon Park the following morning, Roberts starts by talking about "zone 14", an area just in front of the opposition's penalty area where, according to researchers at Liverpool's John Moores University, the majority of assists come from. In an era of false 9s, No10s and wingers that cut inside rather than get to the byline, there is no shortage of footage available to support the theory."

Now I don't know about anyone else but I can't honestly say it looks like we do any of that.

they certainly don't coach schmeichel and whitbread on the art of keep ball, i can tell you that . something i really am surprised at , surely a quick chat to let them know hoofball is just not acceptable . they lump it far too much at times not needed , when other options are there for them . something a good old training session can put to bed quite easily . i wouldnt accept it .

To those who think Swan Lesta is me, it genuinely isn't.

Good username though!

Unless you/we/I are having an out of body, external auditory-visual hallucinatory personality disorder and you/we/I simply haven't realised it and Webbo is actually correct.

That would certainly make the inner-circle more complicated.

I like the reference to "constructing lopsided diamonds all over the pitch and establishing movement patterns" - that sounds like a recipe for getting good, quick inter-passing movements going, just what you need to destabilise the opposition defence.

But to be fair, didn't we manage to do that sort of thing during our good spell early last season?  If only we could recapture it;  maybe this afternoon...

Unless you/we/I are having an out of body, external auditory-visual hallucinatory personality disorder and you/we/I simply haven't realised it and Webbo is actually correct.

That would certainly make the inner-circle more complicated.

Is there still an inner-circle? 

A circle of squares. Sounds like a Dan Brown type riddle - or the lyric of a middle of the road rock band hinting at mystery and symbolism.

Archived