Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

SCHLUPP

Firstly, I completely disagree and secondly, positioning is absolutely something that can be taught and developed over time!

Their best player is their right winger and he had a relatively quiet game - surely a good sign?! 

What? In the second half all their long balls came down the left hand side and every time Schlupp had problems.

We could waste our time trying to teach him the basics of left back but why not play him in his correct position instead? Teaching him how to be a winger will be a lot easier because he has natural attributes for it.

There's no way he's a left back, no way on earth. Positioning is pretty much the biggest part of being a defender and he hasn't got it.

What? In the second half all their long balls came down the left hand side and every time Schlupp had problems.

We could waste our time trying to teach him the basics of left back but why not play him in his correct position instead? Teaching him how to be a winger will be a lot easier because he has natural attributes for it.

There's no way he's a left back, no way on earth. Positioning is pretty much the biggest part of being a defender and he hasn't got it.

We kept a clean sheet and he single handedly made a goal - not a bad days work. His positional play really isn't that bad in my opinion, and absolutely it can be taught (Tony Adams on TV this morning was talking about how he was taught it over and over, day in day out by GG - and he was already a top CB at the time). Yes they had some joy down that side but their best player was there and overall I'd say Schlupp had the better of Anya on the day. 

Agree to disagree I guess, time will tell!

I think Schlupp's a liability at left back, albeit I thought he had a steady first half yesterday. I'd far rather see him up front or deputising for Dyer on the wing.

On a separate note, what happens if Knocky get injured? I guess in the long run we've got De Laet potentially to come in, but we're definitely a winger short.

I think Schlupp's a liability at left back, albeit I thought he had a steady first half yesterday. I'd far rather see him up front or deputising for Dyer on the wing.

On a separate note, what happens if Knocky get injured? I guess in the long run we've got De Laet potentially to come in, but we're definitely a winger short.

GTF, Schlupp, Dyer and De Laet can all play on the wing and Vardy could possibly play there but I think we definitely need to add one!

He did have problems defensively on Saturday, but Watford targeted him because of the PO game and most of their traffic going forward came down that side. Given the same situations I think Konchesky would have been caught out once or twice too.

I do think positioning and defending can be coached but with Schlupp the biggest problem may well be in his head. It will require a fair bit of commitment, dedication, and more importantly in this case mental change to completely retrain to a new position, and we have to ask if he is ready to give up his designs on being a first-choice striker, whether here or elsewhere. He himself might see his left-back cameos as simply first team minutes that are part and parcel of his development as a pro footballer.

He did have problems defensively on Saturday, but Watford targeted him because of the PO game and most of their traffic going forward came down that side. Given the same situations I think Konchesky would have been caught out once or twice too.

I do think positioning and defending can be coached but with Schlupp the biggest problem may well be in his head. It will require a fair bit of commitment, dedication, and more importantly in this case mental change to completely retrain to a new position, and we have to ask if he is ready to give up his designs on being a first-choice striker, whether here or elsewhere. He himself might see his left-back cameos as simply first team minutes that are part and parcel of his development as a pro footballer.

Sensible post this.

HOWEVER, I didn't see you start the pitch invasion when Knocky scored!!

:whistle:

Archived