Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

first ever city game

Can't remember the year (if somebody could help me out it'd be awesome) but it was Leicester vs Preston at the KP (was too young to ever go to filbert street unfortunately) and their keeper scored for a 2-1 win I thinj

I think that was the infamous 1-1 in 2004.

I went to several in the late 1980s and early 1990s (mainly against Birmingham and Wolves as my uncle played for them and got me and my dad tickets) but I don't remember much about them and I didn't get into football until later so didn't care. I distinctly remember a 3-0 win against Blackburn at Filbert Street (1991-92?) and a 1-0 win home win over Portsmouth, possibly the season after. But it wasn't until 1993-94 I really got into it.

To my dad's credit he, a Birmingham fan, was determined that I'd end up supporting Leicester as my home town club. He couldn't afford to take me much so it would be three or four matches a season maximum. The first game I have proper memories of rather than just the result was a 2-0 home win against Middlesbrough in the 93-94 season. Joachim and Speedie with the goals. Not long after a City player (Colin Gordon?) got us tickets to the home match against Grimsby Town. I've no idea how my old man knew him but he sat with us in th double decker. Clive Mendonca put them ahead early on and as injury time rolled around my dad wanted to leave. I threw a tantrum and refused, just standing on the steps - much to the annoyance of a nearby steward. I was vindicated when Julian Joachim scored a late equaliser. That's probably my favourite football memory, trumping promotions and cup wins. Strange, but there you go. It's about sentiment, I suppose.

West Ham home. Can't remember anything of the game other than I was shit scared. I was about six or seven so it was either 75 or 76. My dad took me in pen 1 with the away supporters and, being the cvnt he was, he started gobbing off to the murderous Hammer fans.

I honestly don't know how we got out alive. The only thing I do remember, even above all the smoke and stinky cockney stench, was the smell of the grass. Weird.

Spurs V Leicester City. A win for us, and I can still recall parts of the game. We were superb, and it was Spurs first home defeat for over a year!

In the history of Leicester City, we have won on 14 occasions away to Spurs. For me, our most momentous victory was on 24th February 1961. Is this the same match as you describe? 

In September 1949, for my 6th birthday present, I was. taken by my Dad to watch a football match at Filbert Street. With hindsight, I think the opposition must have been Blackburn Rovers because I do remember that it was an exciting game and the result of that game was a 3-3 draw.

I was hooked. ‘Leicester City’ was now part of my bloodstream.

Archived