Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
copunk

first ever city game

This topic has certainly done the rounds a few times on this forum already in recentish times but it's still nice to contribute to a fresh one!

For the record I watched my first City game of sorts in March 1984 at Filbert Street against West Ham in the old first division, the then Premier League of course :)  I was only 15 at the time and watched pretty much all the game through the gates! A great Gordon Milne team of Lineker, Lynex, Andy Peake, Mark Wallington, Alan Smith, Paul Ramsey and co. who strolled to a 4-1 win that day with what was described as top six form at the time, after a dreadful start to that season back in the top flight. This win was against the likes of Alan Devonshire, Phil Parkes, Trevor Brooking and a young Tony Cottee for the Hammers!

My first game I paid to get through the turnstiles for though was some three years later against Ipswich in the Littlewoods (League) Cup in September 1987, a 1-1 draw. I think Mike Newell scored and a few weeks later manager Bryan Hamilton got the sack, only to be replaced by - David Pleat :unsure:

Barnsley vs Leicester I think it was fa cup joachim scored a wonder goal my grandad and 4 of my uncles took me. I was about 5-6 my grandad brought me the shirt the day he got the tickets and at the time my older brother was pushing me to be a liverpool fan like him but my grandad wasn't having any of it lol.

My uncle drove us and it was almost overwhelming being there so I don't really remember much not even the result. But I do remember the wonder goal and from that moment on I was hooked as a Leicester fan.

Mine was a 1-2 home defeat to West Ham in 1979, the one and only time my dad ever took me to the football. My Dad being a season ticket holder for many years sat in the main stand at Filbo, I will never forget the sights, sounds and smells as I came up the steps from the relative darkness of below to the light of the ground, it was amazing and totally new to me. The programme back then was pretty basic, but I loved it and still have it.

The City team that day was

Wallington

Williams

Rofe

May

Welsh

Peake

B.Smith

Wilson

Byrne,

Young

Henderson

The Hammers had quite a decent team back then and one that people from back then would easily remember, Brooking, Pike, Devonshire, Lampard, Bonds etc

I can't remember the first game I saw.. I went with my uncle no doubt somebody on here can tell me what season it was. We lost 2-1 to Newcastle in my only game at filbert street. Brian Deane scored for ourselves. The first game I really remember we beat Barnsley 2-0 at home the season before relegation.

Booger me I feel old. Yes, all right, I am old.

26 January 1957. I'd just passed the 11+ and as a reward (!) I was taken to Filbo to see us play Grimsby. It was a bit like this season, in that we were running away with the league, and I'd been following City by reading the Green 'Un on a Saturday evening. My dad wasn't interested at all, and it was my mate's dad who took me and him to see City - first match for both of us.

The thing that struck me was the "primary colours" feel of the whole afternoon. City in blue and white, Grimsby in black and white, the pitch like a ploughed field, the noise, the shouting, the cigarette and pipe smoke. Absolutely brilliant. We won 4-3, and that was me hooked for life.

Port Vale 1-1 in 95, for my 11th birthday. The tannoy man told us to keep our ticket stubs for a chance of getting tickets to the playoff final and everyone just laughed, we were 10th at the time I think.

Norwich at home in 1995. We went 2 down before winning 3-2. Whitlow, Roberts and Heskey scored.

That's still one of my favourite games and I remember watching it live on tele. It was even sweeter as I was living in Norfolk.

Leicester - Southampton in 1996. We won 2-1 and Heskey scored twice. I remember my brother getting up and shouting "SHOOT, MUZZY!" after their keeper had ****ed up and was caught off his line.

I remember this one as well, it was my first evening game. I remember walking out in to the upper tier of the double decker and the pitch looked so luminously green.

Leicester 2-1 Charlton February/March 94. First ever game and I was in the pens as well.

Nice one dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Pbpu94f_Ftg

My first game was Oxford at home that season, remember the WBA game because a gang of numpties tried to mug me on the way to the ground and that thunderstorm of course :).

Port Vale 1-1 in 95, for my 11th birthday. The tannoy man told us to keep our ticket stubs for a chance of getting tickets to the playoff final and everyone just laughed, we were 10th at the time I think.

That's still one of my favourite games and I remember watching it live on tele. It was even sweeter as I was living in Norfolk.

The Whitlow free kick was a rocket if I remember rightly.

A sh*t load of those old family night football games.

First proper game I went to was Liverpool at home in the Cup, Heskey was playing for them with Robbie Fowler up front, must have been 2000. Sat in the Carling stand. I was only 5 or 6, can't remember the result or much of the game...I just remember it was fxcking freezing!

Asked my dad about it earlier, wasn't the cup it was the league. I thought it was the cup because the corner flags had "carling" written on them. Then I remembered the premier league was sponsored by carling at the turn of the millennium.

Plastic fan...only turns up for the big games!

lol

lol

I actually got that wrong. Having looked through my 'records' yesterday, my first game was actually against Northampton in the Cup. Same year I think.

Leicester v Burnley at Filbert Street 8th November 1975. Sat in the Double Decker with my dad. I remember being fascinated by the crowds, the noise, the smells from the hotdog and hamburger stands.

We won 3-2 with goals from Weller, Kember and Garland.

Harold Wilson was Prime Minister and Gerald Ford the US President. It was a long time ago.

My first game was Boxing Day 1988 against Bournemouth who were managed by 'Arry at the time! I sat with my dad in the old east stand but have no idea how the game ended!

Mine too ............ I didn't go down the usual route of being taken by my Dad as he was into football at all, so went with a friend when I had the wherewithal to take myself.

Lost 1-0 in what was probably a dreadful game in front of a slightly boosted Boxing Day crowd of around 14,000 (normal that season was 10 or 11,000) and will remember to this day the buzz as I walked into Pen 2 on the Kop even for a mid-table humdrum game like this.

Hooked ever since .................

At Filbert St against Derby, we lost I think 1-0 or 2-1, Shilton was in goal for Derby, we sat squashed behind the goal a few rows from the front in the kop, my granddad shouting at Shilton to go get his bus pass, ha. I was 11 or 12, so 91/92-ish. Funny, only a few years ago I knew the exact score and date, I can't remember now :(

Edit, googled it cause it was doing my head in:

22nd Feb 1992, lost 2-1

Archived