Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bamba's Babes

Matty James

How do you know James is better than Hammond, James hasnt played a full game in the premiership whereas Hammond has and has proven to be a very good player

I think we've seen enough of James to form the opinion that he'll make the step up. Can't argue with what Hammond has done so far though. Plus we share surnames so I'm happy lol

How do you know James is better than Hammond, James hasnt played a full game in the premiership whereas Hammond has and has proven to be a very good player

Talk about trying to pick an argument. Dickov22's post was clearly opinionated, they think that James is a better player than Hammond.

I'm not sure there's many on here who would disagree with that either.

Our midfield in the near future will be James, Drinkwater and Cambiasso. Hammond and King have been great and will continue to do a job but I wonder whether Hammond is up to 90 minutes each week. James will take his place soon but that doesn't mean Hammond won't be required.

See I don't think Cambiasso will be up for 90 mins week in week out, especially when we have midweek games.

The beauty of it is, we have five centre mids than are all more of capable of doing a great job against any opposition, and if we have a slight knock or one of them tiring, whoever replaces them will be just as good.

And if we carry on playing three in the middle all will get plenty of game time and have an impact on our season.

I think we've seen enough of James to form the opinion that he'll make the step up. Can't argue with what Hammond has done so far though. Plus we share surnames so I'm happy lol

I didn't realise his surname was Fanazer.

So because Hammond has now played in the Premier League for a few games and acquitted himself very well it means he is better than James, who hasn't had a chance yet due to injury?

Personally, I'd have to disagree with anyone who states Hammond is a better player than James. Don't get me wrong, I like Deano and think he has been phenomenal this season. That is, apart from periods in games where he's looked a little off the pace. Hammond will also be more suited to certain games, like the ones we've played vs. Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd where we are the underdogs and won't look to dominate the game. He's great at harassing and breaking up play.

However, can you see him helping us to prize open a stubborn Palace or Burnley defence? My answer is no. Can you see James being able to do this like he did all last season? I think yes. Arguably, it's horses for courses but I can also see James being able to undertake the Hammond role to better effect as he is better on the ball and far more technically gifted. In fact, James is one of our best players on the ball. He has great technical ability. In my opinion, James is a more mobile and more talented Hammond who is younger and still has a lot of improvement in him.

I think Hammond has done fantastically. There will, however, come a point when he either tires out or has a poor game. I don't think he's at a stage where he can play 90 mins every week in a league as intense as the Premier League. Once this point comes James will replace him and I think James will do enough to keep his place in the team. I rate him that highly. Once he gets a run of games in the team we will see the brilliant James we have become accustomed to watching every week. This is no insult to Hammond but I see him as the short term fix while the more medium, longer term and better option in James comes into some form. That said, Hammond has shown he will be valuable this season and I expect we could see him play a big part at OT, Anfield, the Etihad etc...

That's a bold statement. On form Hammond is amazing, but so is James. I agree that Hammond may be better against the top teams, but against teams like Palace where we'll be looking to hold more of the possession, I'd probably go with James.

Then again, Hammond hasn't exactly done anything wrong, so I think dropping him would send the wrong message.

I'm not sure I made that clear. I mean in his current form he may be better than what James can come in and offer straight away.

I agree that James is more than likely the better all round player, especially technically, but it has been highlighted so heavily so far that playing your best players isn't necessarily the best thing to do. Hammond is comfortable and used to the way we're playing at the moment, I have faith that when James is back he will be as well but it can take a few matches for that to happen.

Cambiasso took a while and eventually him and Drinky came in as starters because of their effectiveness in the Stoke second half. I think it would take something similar from James or a couple of sub-par performances from Hammond for the same to happen.

Another thing to consider is that we may well be back to 4-4-2 against weaker sides which means a likely partnership of Cambi and Drinks.

At the end of the day- technically Matty James is the better player, as in previous sessions I feel as if we've always missed him when he's been out with injuries.

Fortunately Hammond has came in and done a good job and deserves to hold his position based on his performances.

What we seen of James on Sunday was promising and good to see him playing again but dropping Hammond will send the wrong message same as with the Drinky and Cambiasso dilemma that Pearson dealt with very well.

Would love to see James back in starting 11 but will have to wait, big factor too is he probably isn't match fit to last full 90 mins at the minute too

See I don't think Cambiasso will be up for 90 mins week in week out, especially when we have midweek games.

The beauty of it is, we have five centre mids than are all more of capable of doing a great job against any opposition, and if we have a slight knock or one of them tiring, whoever replaces them will be just as good.

And if we carry on playing three in the middle all will get plenty of game time and have an impact on our season.

I didn't realise his surname was Fanazer.

He probably won't, which is where Hammond can step in and do a job he's done extremely well so far.

We've got some quality in the midfield and the fringe players have stepped up, great choices to have.

So because Hammond has now played in the Premier League for a few games and acquitted himself very well it means he is better than James, who hasn't had a chance yet due to injury?

Personally, I'd have to disagree with anyone who states Hammond is a better player than James. Don't get me wrong, I like Deano and think he has been phenomenal this season. That is, apart from periods in games where he's looked a little off the pace. Hammond will also be more suited to certain games, like the ones we've played vs. Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd where we are the underdogs and won't look to dominate the game. He's great at harassing and breaking up play.

However, can you see him helping us to prize open a stubborn Palace or Burnley defence? My answer is no. Can you see James being able to do this like he did all last season? I think yes. Arguably, it's horses for courses but I can also see James being able to undertake the Hammond role to better effect as he is better on the ball and far more technically gifted. In fact, James is one of our best players on the ball. He has great technical ability. In my opinion, James is a more mobile and more talented Hammond who is younger and still has a lot of improvement in him.

I think Hammond has done fantastically. There will, however, come a point when he either tires out or has a poor game. I don't think he's at a stage where he can play 90 mins every week in a league as intense as the Premier League. Once this point comes James will replace him and I think James will do enough to keep his place in the team. I rate him that highly. Once he gets a run of games in the team we will see the brilliant James we have become accustomed to watching every week. This is no insult to Hammond but I see him as the short term fix while the more medium, longer term and better option in James comes into some form. That said, Hammond has shown he will be valuable this season and I expect we could see him play a big part at OT, Anfield, the Etihad etc...

Hasnt Hammond played in the prem with Southampton? Just not sure

Dean is a different player

He niggles, closes down fast

Makes a player make a decision then leave a boot in anyway, then make the simple pass & protect the defence. much needed against teams who want to dominate possession (everyone we have faced so far)

James is more forward thinking. Finds space, tries trickier balls, ventures forward & tracks back.

Whichever is picked, I'll bet my house it's on a mix of form & opposition. Quite frankly pearson could bring back Conrad, throw him in at CM & I'd still accept he knows what he's doing

James is a classy player. Looked so confident when he came on. Hammond deserves his place but there's no room for sentiment. For me, if fit James plays

My thoughts also.

Dean Hammond has been a fricken revelation and has been one of our top performers so far, but does that mean that another one of our players (Matty James) cannot do his job better? Sentiment would be keeping Hammond because he is playing well and ignoring the POTENTIAL improvement a player like James could make.

Hammond, or any other player, deserves to be dropped if another player can do his job better. That's why I personally think Nugent should be dropped, he has played fairly well but other players in our squad can play his role better.

I'm not sure I made that clear. I mean in his current form he may be better than what James can come in and offer straight away.

I agree that James is more than likely the better all round player, especially technically, but it has been highlighted so heavily so far that playing your best players isn't necessarily the best thing to do. Hammond is comfortable and used to the way we're playing at the moment, I have faith that when James is back he will be as well but it can take a few matches for that to happen.

Cambiasso took a while and eventually him and Drinky came in as starters because of their effectiveness in the Stoke second half. I think it would take something similar from James or a couple of sub-par performances from Hammond for the same to happen.

Another thing to consider is that we may well be back to 4-4-2 against weaker sides which means a likely partnership of Cambi and Drinks.

I don't think we will ever see Cambiasso as part of a two man midfield. He can play in a 3, but I don't think he has the legs to play in a 2.

agree re EC and agree that james will be picked ahead of hammond once his fitness is up to speed. i suspect that will be burnley or newcastle. pearson loves him and recognises his huge potential. we may even see a different pearson selection strategy where he rotates the midfielders to give them some rest. will be very interesting to see the side on saturday. back to 4-4-1-1 ??

agree re EC and agree that james will be picked ahead of hammond once his fitness is up to speed. i suspect that will be burnley or newcastle. pearson loves him and recognises his huge potential. we may even see a different pearson selection strategy where he rotates the midfielders to give them some rest. will be very interesting to see the side on saturday. back to 4-4-1-1 ??

If we were to play 4-4-1-1 where would you play Vardy? Pearson has some very tough, but good choices to make

Drinky, Esteban, Dean, Matty and Andy all got minutes against Man Utd. I thought Matty looked great when he came on. There is also Mahrez and Knocky and Mark and Jeff who will all get game time as well in forthcoming matches. A lot will depend on how attacking Nige wants to be in each match, whether the opposition play a diamond, or five at the back, or 4-4-2, or 4-3-3. We have options, probably more options than any other Premiership team. Of course we may not have many players worth £50 million, ( just a few, eh? ), but at our level no-one can match our versatility. My pecking order for central midfield is probably - Drinky then Esteban then Matty then King or Hammond, but who cares.

We can be confident in all of them.

I don't think we will ever see Cambiasso as part of a two man midfield. He can play in a 3, but I don't think he has the legs to play in a 2.

That's a point, do you think we'll see a lot more 4-3-3 now he's fit then?

That's a point, do you think we'll see a lot more 4-3-3 now he's fit then?

Good chance. Could mean less game time for Nuge, with more for Mahrez to maintain a really strong and pacy attacking force with Leonardo and Jamie.

Nuge was brilliant with his holding role on Blind and then backing up attacks, but if we play a central midfield trio, Nuge will probably get game time, but less of it against teams who may be viewed as weaker in attack than Man Utd.

My thoughts also.

Dean Hammond has been a fricken revelation and has been one of our top performers so far, but does that mean that another one of our players (Matty James) cannot do his job better? Sentiment would be keeping Hammond because he is playing well and ignoring the POTENTIAL improvement a player like James could make.

Hammond, or any other player, deserves to be dropped if another player can do his job better. That's why I personally think Nugent should be dropped, he has played fairly well but other players in our squad can play his role better.

Who can do a better job than Nugent in that role behind the striker then??

Archived