Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MC Prussian

Swiss Football on a high

Well, Etoile Carouge never reached further than the Nationalliga B/ Ligue Nationale B, the second highest league in Switzerland.

They were relegated to the 1.Liga (third-highest league) a couple of seasons ago and are currently doing quite well.

For football stats in Switzerland, you can always have a look at our teletext:

Swiss Teletext

Footie stats start on page 201. Simply enter the page number in the field on the bottom right hand.

Etoile Carouge in Ligue Suisse 1

Etoile Carouge Official Homepage

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Agghh... Only one more game to go for the Swiss National Squad! Unbeaten in 12 matches so far! :cool:

I am glad we drew against L'equipe tricolore on Saturday at least. France has only conceeded two goals so far (one by Ireland, one by us)!

We are not allowed to lose against the Republic Of Ireland on Wednesday. Otherwise, we're out. This is such a weird group. I have yet to see so many draws in another qualifying group. Even Israel, who have already played all 10 matches, could go to Germany. The goal difference speaks for my country, though (17 to 6, +11). France has a +8 ratio and would need 4 or more goals against Cyprus to finish first, IF we should win in Dublin.

France will probably advance and finish either 1st or 2nd.

It is so tense right now. I wish our boys just the best and hope to see them next year in that big, grim country North of Switzerland... lol

About the awfulness of the country WC2006 takes place- tell Poles about it! :P

My grandma sure did remember them well... And she tought me how to react when I hear name of that country :D . But I am trying to be tolerant... my progress istn't too impressive though.

Like it or not, it's THE chance to take for most Poles- it won't happen any closer so as soon as our Eagles go through (assuming they will of course...) ze Germans will face an invasion from the east lol.

I've seen Basel go and :blink: a real shock! If Werder haven't got Klasnic they would have had their arse severly kicked! That's really great piece of football. I seriously hope that Wisla won't meet Basel too soon as it would be a shame to see any of those two leave UEFA Cup too soon! but there are disadvantages to the improvements in European football quality- Polish teams get kicked sooner and sooner every year :angry: which is their fault I guess, but still is depressing.

Heh, I guess we have more in commonn than we would suppose- hosting the Euro for example. Although you already have it and we're just trying for the first time. But I believe it is worth it...

Take care!

Super to read your posts.

Do you have close connections with Basel?. Had a particularly strange experience there. Went around with a girl called Barbara Hartmann and she invited me to a Christmas party near the area where the Rhine runs through the centre of the City.

The weather was appalling, snow and freezing fog virtually all the way but I drove there on impulse, arrived in the City in the early hours of the morning, had no idea where I was going other than an address, stopped to ask directions and was told I was parked right outside the house!!!.

Spent a lot of time in Geneva too, they were all hang-gliding at the time off the Grande Saleve I think its called. Coached a lot of guys from the Cern Nuclear Accelorator facility (hosted by a chap called Norman Eatough), yet never visited or even saw the football stadium.

Cracking place though, smashing tour taking in Bern, Freiburg (I think its spelt) and Zurich, about three months in Basel with a professional squash player called George Kawalco (we were there to teach their first coaches) and loads of time, of course, on the ski slopes.

Absolutely full of life, Basel, on every side of the tracks and lots of anecdotes I could tell. I look forward to more about your wonderful country.

• 5 weeks later...

With one leg in Germany...

2-0 against Turkey at home!

89747-Fussball.jpg

A magnificent Philippe Senderos (Arsenal FC) hit the first with a beautiful header.

320409_MEDIUMLANDSCAPE.jpg

And substitute midfielder Valon Behrami (S.S. Lazio Roma) made it 2-0 four minutes before the end.

31'000 people in Bern who created a wonderful, fantastic stage.

I think this is the breaking point and the new generation is starting to take over. Very promising youngsters... Vonlanthen, Behrami, Barnetta, Senderos, the Degen twins, Gygax, Lichtsteiner... It's looking bright again...

Super to read your posts.

Do you have close connections with Basel?. Had a particularly strange experience there. Went around with a girl called Barbara Hartmann and she invited me to a Christmas party near the area where the Rhine runs through the centre of the City.

The weather was appalling, snow and freezing fog virtually all the way but I drove there on impulse, arrived in the City in the early hours of the morning, had no idea where I was going other than an address, stopped to ask directions and was told I was parked right outside the house!!!.

Spent a lot of time in Geneva too, they were all hang-gliding at the time off the Grande Saleve I think its called. Coached a lot of guys from the Cern Nuclear Accelorator facility (hosted by a chap called Norman Eatough), yet never visited or even saw the football stadium.

Cracking place though, smashing tour taking in Bern, Freiburg (I think its spelt) and Zurich, about three months in Basel with a professional squash player called George Kawalco (we were there to teach their first coaches) and loads of time, of course, on the ski slopes.

Absolutely full of life, Basel, on every side of the tracks and lots of anecdotes I could tell. I look forward to more about your wonderful country.

Thracian,

Did you go to klein Basel? (In my best steptoe impression) You dirty old man....

With one leg in Germany...

2-0 against Turkey at home!

31'000 people in Bern who created a wonderful, fantastic stage.

I think this is the breaking point and the new generation is starting to take over. Very promising youngsters... Vonlanthen, Behrami, Barnetta, Senderos, the Degen twins, Gygax, Lichtsteiner... It's looking bright again...

Well done but underestimate the Turks at home at your peril.

2-0 might just be good enough for extra time and penalties,

I fear you will have to score to qualify.

Well done but underestimate the Turks at home at your peril.

2-0 might just be good enough for extra time and penalties,

I fear you will have to score to qualify.

I know how hard it can be playing in Turkey. Although the fans and media are quite disappointed with their team's performance, with such a fanatic support, the players will give 150 percent in Istanbul on Wednesday.

We should have scored one more. We had the opportunities. I expect a tough and nerve-racking match with, what I hope, my country having the last laugh. It would be a nice upset against Turkey, the No.3 at the last WC in Japan/Korea and mean the first WC qualification for Switzerland in 12 years.

I stay fairly optimistic. Our boys can do it. Question is: will they show the same determination a second time or will they fall apart? I wish our squad just the best and I believe we can achieve this "miracle on grass".

HOPP SCHWIIZ! :clap::scarf:

%7B5EAFA436-9288-4EAA-BE3A-9619A70CB6EF%7Dfile1.jpeg

lol

Archived