Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest ttfn

New build issues

Wondering if anybody on here can offer any advice/confirm that basically it's "tough shit".

My wife and I moved into a new conversion 2 years ago and have had numerous issues with faulty plumbing, tiles coming off the walls and now, the final straw, our kitchen sink has literally just fallen out.

Can anybody advise on what the best solution is here? We own the property so clearly it's our responsibility to maintain but essentially we've been sold a property in which the plumbing and fittings have been done on the cheap. Every workman we've had come in to fix the various problems has been shocked by the poor quality of the work despite the nude facade (if I may say so myself).

Do we have any recourse? Any help appreciated, even if it is just "tough shit". I'd like to know where we stand.

They really should cover that. I'd certainly speak to either the builder, the NHBC or Citizens' Advice.

Don't know about NHBC sorry.

Appreciate the advice. After some digging it turns out that the developer sold one of the flats to his son who in turn is trying to sell it on now.

Guess who's going to be threatening to tell potential buyers about the shoddy plumbing unless it gets fixed?

Don't want to resort to that but I suspect it may be the quickest conclusion.

Thanks for the help.

Did you buy of a developer or private builder?

Didnt the survey highlight anything?

If yes-why did you go ahead?

If no-surely you can have a pop at the surveyor?

Developer

No.

Do surveyors check that sinks aren't just glued in?!

Tbh that isn't that uncommon. They're quite often stuck down with silicon.

Shouldn't be happening when the instructions we found under the sink said it should be screwed in!

Did you use a solicitor when you bought? If you did give them a quick call see if you have a new build warranty as Bilo says. Usually something property solicitors should recommend as ordinary course but I don't know if it applies to small new builds in the same way as big property developments.

Sorry if last questions were abit daft re-sink!

Surely the developer is liable?

No, wasn't having a go - I have no idea hence the question. I genuinely have absolutely no idea.

I suspect that in the end we'll pay for it which doesn't seem fair but then again, life's not fair!

I'm sure new houses will come with warrantys. Put it like this if you'd asked for a sink to be fitted in an exisiting house and that happened you'd have a word wouldn't you? It will take some balls but go to the developer and say how unhappy you are.

Also, are there any neighbours you get on with? Chances are they are/will be going through the same thing and may be more informed.

when you say new build and developer. are we talking a big developer. or some bloke doing up a few properties in his spare time?

It's an independent property developer (i.e. one man and his dog).

But this is London, it's not like the guy is barely rubbing 2 pennies together. He made something like £1 million on this development alone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I'll talk to the neighbours and see if they have anything to add.

It's an independent property developer (i.e. one man and his dog).

But this is London, it's not like the guy is barely rubbing 2 pennies together. He made something like £1 million on this development alone.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - I'll talk to the neighbours and see if they have anything to add.

I was just asking as I wouldn't know the rules on the nbhc when it came to smaller developers.

But it would be my 1st port of call if he is part of the scheme.

I have good knowledge of this, as I purchased a David Wilson home that had horrendous problems. Probably made your issues sound minor. Two of the three toilets didn't work from day one, came home to water all through the house just to name two of the many many issues.

Basically the developer will come back and put right for a period of time, normally around 18 months. So if you ring him, he should come back and put right.

My issue was with David Wilson, but just next door to me now we have a new development of two houses, done by a small builder and he comes back and put stuff right, even though it is over a year since he handed the keys over.

Just a note to others, if your house was built by a large builder and there are constant problems, they do have a budget per house to make you feel better. Wilsons as an example gave us a new landscaped garden for all the issues that we had, and this is just standard practice.

Archived