Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Nick Powell

Because his game has evolved over the past few years, whether it's been coached out of him or he's been asked to do a different job. He is now an old-fashioned box to box midfielder, putting tackles in, breaking up play and getting the ball moving again. He's not an attacking midfielder in the sense that he doesn't get the ball in advanced positions, take it past a player and play the ball through to the strikers. Which is why, in my opinion, he was wasted on Saturday. He's better running from deep, "ghosting" in to the box or being slightly further back and banging in a 30 yard rocket. On Saturday, he was the furthest midfielder forward and it nullified his threat as he's not the sort of player to create something from nothing a la Knockaert or Mahrez (who would've been better options in that role).

The problems this season revolve around us putting Cambiasso in to the midfield (not criticising him as he's a good player...). He's doing the work that Drinkwater was doing last season - coming deeper to get the ball from the back and being the playmaker. Drinkwater's been asked to receive the ball further forward and retain the ball, rather than pulling the strings and playing others in to space - which this season, he's not done well. If we're going to play 3 in the middle (or 4...) with Cambiasso, and on the basis of performances this season, I'd much rather see King in Drinkwater's role alongside James - 2 players who can put a tackle in, retain the ball and get us going again and push forward. This would allow Cambiasso to sit deeper and pull the strings whilst having two energetic players who can put a tackle in (which Drinky doesn't do).

But again, this relies on us having some wide options on the pitch as an outlet for the boys in the middle to get up the pitch, or, someone to look for the ball further up the pitch, turn and get us going forward. In the 10 minutes Powell had, he looks like he could be that option - he was looking for the ball, and looked to move us forward. Despite his shocking lefty shank at the end, he looked decent enough to be involved in some way next weekend, either starting or from the bench.

I think Nige is in a predicament as he has a lot of options now, and doesn't know his best team or formation. And in my opinion, he's picked the wrong teams in his formations, or doesn't have the personnel for them. Saturday showed that if we're not playing with wingers, we need a pacey left-back. Whether Schlupp's the answer or not I don't know, but he's the only left sided player with any pace. I felt his team was too negative on Saturday and we played like an away game - no inventiveness or creativity, no pace and playing far too conservatively. I can understand him wanting to pack the midfield, but the lack of width to stretch the West Brom defense made it so easy to defend against. We only really tested them from set-pieces, but how many goals have we scored from set-pieces in the last 3 years? If we set-up like that against Southampton then I'd understand, but against West Brom, who had a shockingly slow defense, I can't understand why we didn't have pacey wide players running at them.

Kind of went off on a tangent, so apologies for the essay, but the midfield problems and tactics of the past few games need to be addressed before we end up in trouble. I expect us to set-up in a similar manner against Southampton, look to contain them and try and snatch a 1-0. But against a poor Sunderland side in the next home game, I expect us to come out with some attacking intent, some width, some pace and for us to play what has been the Leicester way for the past few years. As Mike Bassett might say, 4-4-fooking-2!

Great reply, but if, as you suggest, this advanced role and goal-scoring might have been coached out of King, then what a bloody shame! This team is crying out for a midfielder who can score goals!

I think you're right. Its the Pearson liking of the box to box midfielder role. Thats unusual now at higher level football. Most teams seem to set up (even in a 4-4-2) with one defensive minded midfielder and one creater/goal scorer.

The best sides of course, over the past few years (Barcelona, Man City, even Real Madrid) have played with the 'sitter'. A midfielder bloke who just sits..either off the back four or slightly further forward, to simply win the ball. That IS their entire role. Mascherano is a master at this. This enables the attack minded man/men to do what they do best. Eg. Silva at Man City has NO defensive role.

That's why I wanted to see us go for a Cattermole..a bloke who loves a scrap (yes, sometimes too much :whistle:) but who absolutely knows his role is to protect his back four. But that, of course, was laughed out of sight on here. If that role is now given to Cambi, well I don't think he has the legs for it anymore. It demands having the fitness and stamina levels to track the oncoming runs of the opposition. This is why Gerrard is finally looking shaky in this role IMO. He's lost that yard of pace to make the tracking run and to win the ball. At least, often enough.

Great reply, but if, as you suggest, this advanced role and goal-scoring might have been coached out of King, then what a bloody shame! This team is crying out for a midfielder who can score goals!

I think you're right. Its the Pearson liking of the box to box midfielder role. Thats unusual now at higher level football. Most teams seem to set up (even in a 4-4-2) with one defensive minded midfielder and one creater/goal scorer.

The best sides of course, over the past few years (Barcelona, Man City, even Real Madrid) have played with the 'sitter'. A midfielder bloke who just sits..either off the back four or slightly further forward, to simply win the ball. That IS their entire role. Mascherano is a master at this. This enables the attack minded man/men to do what they do best. Eg. Silva at Man City has NO defensive role.

That's why I wanted to see us go for a Cattermole..a bloke who loves a scrap (yes, sometimes too much :whistle:) but who absolutely knows his role is to protect his back four. But that, of course, was laughed out of sight on here. If that role is now given to Cambi, well I don't think he has the legs for it anymore. It demands having the fitness and stamina levels to track the oncoming runs of the opposition. This is why Gerrard is finally looking shaky in this role IMO. He's lost that yard of pace to make the tracking run and to win the ball. At least, often enough.

I agree mostly, but all those sides play 3 in the middle. They have one protector in front of the defenders, one box to box and one advanced playmaker. Toure for Man City, Schweinsteiger for Bayern, Iniesta (to an extent) for Barce etc. all go to box to box and are vital in receiving the ball in the middle and driving the team forward before offloading to the playmaker. Obviously I am in no way shape or form comparing King to these players, but he is a better option at doing that job than Drinkwater, simply because his ball retention is better.

I agree that we're lacking a more mobile player to mop up in midfield - I said over the summer that we needed a big unit (height-wise) to be combative and win those second balls. The number of times this season we've not had a player near to a second ball from a punt upfield, both when attacking and defending, is shocking.

I don't want my post to be dismissed as all doom and gloom - all are good players and have a big role to play this season, but Nige needs to find the right options to suit the system he's trying to play. I feel that if he wants to get the best out of Drinky, he needs to drop Cambiasso and get Drinky as the guy who gets the team going - he strikes me as someone who needs to be the top man in midfield and for the play to go through him for us to see him at his best. However, as others have pointed out, Cambiasso is a step ahead of everyone else when it comes to picking a pass as evidenced by some quality balls on Saturday that no-one read. At the moment, since Cambiasso has started, it feels like we're getting used to his style. And it's a shame because he is obviously a quality player, but at the moment he feels like he's a luxury player we can't afford. Coming on with 30 minutes to go when we're ahead he'd be perfect, but right now (especially at home), I think we'd be better with Drinky and James in the middle and two wide players and Ulloa and Vardy up top - playing our own game rather than trying to stifle the opposition.

Yet he's been involved in every point we've got and played more than 45 minutes in all those games...

What about Swansea? What about Palace? The only game's he's been any good in were Arsenal, Everton and Manchester United. The reason being that we spent the majority of those games without the ball and his defensive work shone. In games where we need more from the midfield are the games he fails. Against Stoke the game changed in the 2nd half because of the changes we made. He's not good enough.

Archived