Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
theessexfox

Nick Powell

lol bellend he only got 10 mins on the pitch I couldn't bang a wank out in 10 mins , look the best players on the lcfc side was wood , Ulloa Powell changed the game , if only pearson had a good tactical brain and made the changes at 50 mins when he could clearly see his shit diamond wasn't working !!

The subs were pissing shit.

I was encouraged by Powell. The main reason being he came and got the ball off the back four and tried to create something. The team is sorely lacking in this respect. I couldn't beleive Mahrez was dropped yesterday. Our most creative player, having the ability to make something out of little wasn't even playing. Strange decision IMO.

Agree with this, Powell had something about him, noticed that when we had the ball out wide and everyone else was hanging around in the box for an inevitably shit cross, he ran out of the box to offer a better option in a better position, obviously he was ignored, but this is exactly what I was talking about last week. Forwards hanging round in the box expecting a perfect cross, easy to mark, and when the cross comes in nothing happens.

I was encouraged by Powell. The main reason being he came and got the ball off the back four and tried to create something. The team is sorely lacking in this respect. I couldn't beleive Mahrez was dropped yesterday. Our most creative player, having the ability to make something out of little wasn't even playing. Strange decision IMO.

He always wanted the ball. At one point he dropped so deep to get it, he was behind Morgan. I was encouraged by his short spell yesterday.

I noticed this in his short time he was on the pitch. He always looked to want, and receive the ball which is what you want from someone in the "number 10 role" and if he started there instead of King we may have looked a lot more creative as a team.

That's not a dig at King but he's not an attacking midfielder, and was played out of position. He's suited more in a 2 man central midfield.

About the only player actually attempting to create his own space so he could receive the ball and about the only player looking like he actually wanted to receive the ball. Mild encouragement, but I wouldn't take much from it.

I noticed this in his short time he was on the pitch. He always looked to want, and receive the ball which is what you want from someone in the "number 10 role" and if he started there instead of King we may have looked a lot more creative as a team.

That's not a dig at King but he's not an attacking midfielder, and was played out of position. He's suited more in a 2 man central midfield.

Yeah I agree. Although King is a good goalscorer, and a good finisher, I've always seen viewed him more as a defensive minded midfielder. Taking his finishing ability into account, I understand why he is played behind the forward(s) sometimes, but on the other hand he doesn't have the pace or power to play that role imo.

Im always perplexed at this notion of King as a 'defensive minded midfielder'. I recall the days when Kingy consistently scored lots of goals for us under Pearson, sometimes weighing in with more than our strikers. He was pretty much our ONLY midfielder, of recent times, who you could rely on to pop up with a goal and a goal of all types.

Where has this gone? God knows we need goals from other areas without having to rely solely on the strikers.

Andy King IMO has always done most damage in the final third, yet his opportunity to get there nowadays is utterly thwarted.

Im always perplexed at this notion of King as a 'defensive minded midfielder'. I recall the days when Kingy consistently scored lots of goals for us under Pearson, sometimes weighing in with more than our strikers. He was pretty much our ONLY midfielder, of recent times, who you could rely on to pop up with a goal and a goal of all types.

Where has this gone? God knows we need goals from other areas without having to rely solely on the strikers.

Andy King IMO has always done most damage in the final third, yet his opportunity to get there nowadays is utterly thwarted.

Because his game has evolved over the past few years, whether it's been coached out of him or he's been asked to do a different job. He is now an old-fashioned box to box midfielder, putting tackles in, breaking up play and getting the ball moving again. He's not an attacking midfielder in the sense that he doesn't get the ball in advanced positions, take it past a player and play the ball through to the strikers. Which is why, in my opinion, he was wasted on Saturday. He's better running from deep, "ghosting" in to the box or being slightly further back and banging in a 30 yard rocket. On Saturday, he was the furthest midfielder forward and it nullified his threat as he's not the sort of player to create something from nothing a la Knockaert or Mahrez (who would've been better options in that role).

The problems this season revolve around us putting Cambiasso in to the midfield (not criticising him as he's a good player...). He's doing the work that Drinkwater was doing last season - coming deeper to get the ball from the back and being the playmaker. Drinkwater's been asked to receive the ball further forward and retain the ball, rather than pulling the strings and playing others in to space - which this season, he's not done well. If we're going to play 3 in the middle (or 4...) with Cambiasso, and on the basis of performances this season, I'd much rather see King in Drinkwater's role alongside James - 2 players who can put a tackle in, retain the ball and get us going again and push forward. This would allow Cambiasso to sit deeper and pull the strings whilst having two energetic players who can put a tackle in (which Drinky doesn't do).

But again, this relies on us having some wide options on the pitch as an outlet for the boys in the middle to get up the pitch, or, someone to look for the ball further up the pitch, turn and get us going forward. In the 10 minutes Powell had, he looks like he could be that option - he was looking for the ball, and looked to move us forward. Despite his shocking lefty shank at the end, he looked decent enough to be involved in some way next weekend, either starting or from the bench.

I think Nige is in a predicament as he has a lot of options now, and doesn't know his best team or formation. And in my opinion, he's picked the wrong teams in his formations, or doesn't have the personnel for them. Saturday showed that if we're not playing with wingers, we need a pacey left-back. Whether Schlupp's the answer or not I don't know, but he's the only left sided player with any pace. I felt his team was too negative on Saturday and we played like an away game - no inventiveness or creativity, no pace and playing far too conservatively. I can understand him wanting to pack the midfield, but the lack of width to stretch the West Brom defense made it so easy to defend against. We only really tested them from set-pieces, but how many goals have we scored from set-pieces in the last 3 years? If we set-up like that against Southampton then I'd understand, but against West Brom, who had a shockingly slow defense, I can't understand why we didn't have pacey wide players running at them.

Kind of went off on a tangent, so apologies for the essay, but the midfield problems and tactics of the past few games need to be addressed before we end up in trouble. I expect us to set-up in a similar manner against Southampton, look to contain them and try and snatch a 1-0. But against a poor Sunderland side in the next home game, I expect us to come out with some attacking intent, some width, some pace and for us to play what has been the Leicester way for the past few years. As Mike Bassett might say, 4-4-fooking-2!

Dean Hammond will be starting vs S'hampton.

And IMO rightly so. Against the teams where we have had a lot less of the ball and picked up points he has played a big part. And he was badly missed when he went off against Chelsea.

And with Drinkwater's performances last two games he can't moan if he gets dropped.

With Saturday's line starting XI i'm not going to predict the line up or formation.

Don't think he did a lot personally. Simply wasn't on the pitch long enough to get any kind of impression about him either way.

Stop being realistic, can you not see we're in desperate need of a savior and after that 10 minutes, this lads clearly the man for the job. 

Archived