Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
john_lcfc

Football

are football attendances in the premiership and football league falling i watched football league review earlier and there were many empty seats and im watching match of the day and at Hawthornes and City of Manchester Stadium there are a number of empty seats// does anyone have any figures are attendances falling?

i noticed that too ross, MOTD this morning when Wigan got there penalty in 12 seconds? i said to my other half who was getting dressed i know this ends up 1-0 how boring if they win via this penalty, she replied "is that the sunderland fans behind the goal? how depressing" and even that section looked fairly empty. and the wigan end was nowhere near full. i feel sorry for them as that should attract big crowds because they should be thinking we can beat these if we were competing last season.

i noticed that too ross, MOTD this morning when Wigan got there penalty in 12 seconds? i said to my other half who was getting dressed i know this ends up 1-0 how boring if they win via this penalty, she replied "is that the sunderland fans behind the goal? how depressing" and even that section looked fairly empty. and the wigan end was nowhere near full. i feel sorry for them as that should attract big crowds because they should be thinking we can beat these if we were competing last season.

and especially having just been promoted, if we got promoted i would expect to see near full cpacity (over 30k) for every game in the season

maybe people have gone away for bank holiday but still seemed quiet

I saw loads of empty seats on MOTD last night. I dont think its only the bank holiday but i reckon ticket prices must be on the increase. Plus, and i know that this is going a bit extreme but with interest rates rising a few months ago people have less disposible income, plus they have to pay mortgages! House prices are going up and therefore people/families cant afford to spend money to watch football. Espeically with family day outs! Not only the ticket prices they have to think about, but they also need to think about food, getting there and treating the kdis etc!

Therefore, the only fans that are watching games are season ticket holders and the main fans who do go every week. The empty seats are those that are left by families who cant afford to go.

football being on the tv so much doesnt help, people are over exposed and get bored of it, personally i think the more i see the better but it should be 3 o clock saturday afternoon kick offs for every team which would mean not as many games on tv so people would go to the games rather than stay at home or go to the pub to watch them, and ticket prices dont help we're still paying premiership prices two seasons after being relegated and i know for a fact if we do get promoted the prices will stay the same and they'll make out there doing us a favour by not upping them even more even though we are paying a lot anyway

The thing is are the figures down that much I mean the JJB at Wigan has always been half empty and Sunderland took 3500 fans which is less than the 8000 they took last year but still a good turn out for an Away game as for Man City the attendance was 41,022 not exactly a bad turn for a match against Portsmouth, it's just a very big stadium

Things happen in cycles; since the start of the Premiership attendances increased, Italia 90 and Euro 96 introduced the game to 'new' fans, etc etc etc. At some point things would change, such is life.

Ticket prices are only a part of this. Football sold it's soul to the corporate devil, and very few people stood against it. "All this money coming into the game can only bring good" they said. Has it really?

The country is awash with debt - yet the Government takes more and more from our pockets and now, there are definite signs of people being short of spare cash.

A really good indicator is auctions. There are lots of sellers just now but not enough buyers. The ever-increasing cost of petrol seems to be having an effect ... as is the rapid disappearance of "proper" jobs in manufacturing.

Football clubs are competing for spare cash because they are providing luxury entertainment and spending on luxury entertainment is one of the first things to go when people tighten their belts.

TV too has an impact particularly when the cost of motoring continues to soar. Sadly City's prices are just not value for the entertainment/standard of football provided and it is showing in the number of vacant seats.

i blame tony blair and his missus for not being good enough in bed to keep him happy hence all the tax increases..

..on a serious note i hardly go to the games anymore.. i actually think my local football team is more worthwhile now

Archived