Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fez of Mahrez

The thinking behind Pearson's tactics

Well I'm no in the know but I'm hearing* that there is a huge amount of emphasis placed on all that statistical research stuff. Now, most people know that already but more specifically, for example, I hear this research has concluded that, no joke, Schlupp is the most technically gifted player in the squad. Now I'm no scientist either but I can tell you, if the statistics are saying that Schlupp is our most technically gifted player, you're doing it wrong.

Not quite tactics as such but it's an indicator as to why we're in such a mess. Technology is great and all but at the end of the day, football is a very simple game when you boil it down. Certainly things can be overcomplicated and that is what Pearson has done all season. Instead of picking the obvious, sane option, he has tended to side with the opposite.

The correct thinking process and philosophy has been totally lost on our coaching staff. i.e there are no statistics in the world that can make Schlupp a technically gifted player.

*A close family member's business partner who has had a long standing relationship with a senior member of the staff, before anyone asks.

:D

I think you have been April foolsed mate.

How can any stats conclude that any player is '"technically gifted'? Sounds like something off Brass Eye.

:D

I think you have been April foolsed mate.

How can any stats conclude that any player is '"technically gifted'? Sounds like something off Brass Eye.

Perhaps he can do the most keepie uppies. Perhaps he can do the most Cruyff turns in 60 seconds. lol

Not necessarily.

Derby massively over-achieved to scrape into the Premiership via the play-offs in 2007. They had no money and a squad of average Championship players. Their terrible season was no surprise.

Pearson on the other hand should have done much better with a  talented squad and a half-decent budget (which he somehow managed to squander on two players playing the same position).

Given that other teams such as Watford, Barnsley and Bradford are much smaller clubs, the only other club who can be said to have done much worse than us were Sunderland (twice) under Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane.

Unless there’s a turn-around, Pearson is on course to become renowned as one of the worst managers in Premiership history. Up there with Avram Grant and Paulo Di Canio.

Not discarding your entire post as I do agree with a lot of it but I'm pretty sure Derby signed a silly number of players in the season they went up. I just remember them being big spenders.

I will never get over the fact they only got 11 points. That will not ever be beaten in my lifetime.

IMO we don't have any tactics  we have tried so many systems NP is just trying to find something that works so that we never lose by many and he can then blame bad luck or referee

I think we try and keep games tight, succeed in that but don't have any real killer instinct to make the difference. We play to pinch a win but you don't just 'pinch a win' by chance. We're utterly useless from set pieces for starters.

Not discarding your entire post as I do agree with a lot of it but I'm pretty sure Derby signed a silly number of players in the season they went up. I just remember them being big spenders.

I will never get over the fact they only got 11 points. That will not ever be beaten in my lifetime.

They never scraped it in either. They were top for months and then Davies did his normal bottle job technique.

I think we try and keep games tight, succeed in that but don't have any real killer instinct to make the difference. We play to pinch a win but you don't just 'pinch a win' by chance. We're utterly useless from set pieces for starters.

Interestly the stats don’t bear this out either:

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

We’re joint 13th in ‘goals scored from set pieces’ with 5. Same as Southampton and Newcastle.

Admittedly I don’t know where we are in goals conceded from set pieces.

Interestly the stats don’t bear this out either:

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/4311/Stages/9155/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2014-2015

We’re joint 13th in ‘goals scored from set pieces’ with 5. Same as Southampton and Newcastle.

Admittedly I don’t know where we are in goals conceded from set pieces.

5 goals from set pieces? What?!

That's got to be including the likes of Schlupp away at QPR, which is a bit of a joke in all honesty.

5 goals from set pieces? What?!

That's got to be including the likes of Schlupp away at QPR, which is a bit of a joke in all honesty.

Yeah actually apart from Morgan's header against Spurs I can't think of four others. Thing is though it's the same rule for other clubs too.

The point being that very few set-pieces actually result in goals. So it's not that we're poor at them.

In fact, I'm sure that I read in "The Numbers Game" that statistically you're more likely to concede a goal on the break from your own corner, than you are to score one! This is why Barcelona used to never play the ball into the box from a corner. 

Yeah actually apart from Morgan's header against Spurs I can't think of four others. Thing is though it's the same rule for other clubs too.

The point being that very few set-pieces actually result in goals. So it's not that we're poor at them.

In fact, I'm sure that I read in "The Numbers Game" that statistically you're more likely to concede a goal on the break from your own corner, than you are to score one! This is why Barcelona used to never play the ball into the box from a corner. 

I can believe that last stat and especially at Barcelona where the majority of their team are small.

I think the Morgan header is the first set piece goal since Hammond at Wigan last year and from a corner... Moore at home to Wigan.

The problem in my opinion with set pieces is that we play a game that would benefit immensely from being effective from set pieces. We play to pinch results yet actually lack the killer instinct in order to do so, the killer instinct that sides like Stoke & Palace had against us and consequently beat us.

I can believe that last stat and especially at Barcelona where the majority of their team are small.

I think the Morgan header is the first set piece goal since Hammond at Wigan last year and from a corner... Moore at home to Wigan.

The problem in my opinion with set pieces is that we play a game that would benefit immensely from being effective from set pieces. We play to pinch results yet actually lack the killer instinct in order to do so, the killer instinct that sides like Stoke & Palace had against us and consequently beat us.

Maybe. The % of set piece goals is very low compared to open play goals.

There’s a strong correlation between league position and goals scored from open play.  So that’s where we need to improve.  

There’s no correlation though between league position and set-piece goals. Tottenham have scored most and Liverpool are 19th ! This suggests there’s a fair slice of luck in how many set-piece goals you get.

Maybe. The % of set piece goals is very low compared to open play goals.

There’s a strong correlation between league position and goals scored from open play.  So that’s where we need to improve.  

There’s no correlation though between league position and set-piece goals. Tottenham have scored most and Liverpool are 19th ! This suggests there’s a fair slice of luck in how many set-piece goals you get.

Haven't you heard? There's no such thing as "luck" as far as our league position is concerned.

See the corresponding thread for further "evidence".

Completely and utterly this.

Our performance relative to theses teams exposes Pearsons inadequacies this season.

Pretty much, give it take one or two players we have had the same side available to us, that knocked QPR into a cocked that last season where we finished 22 pts in front of them. Their side to my mind is almost the same team as last term. We are now 3pts behind them. A swing of 25 pts is a massive turnaround. We are 6 behind Burnley, their team is essentially the same as last years.

After the Burnley game he decided we were not going to play as we had very successfully for the previous 14 months - on the front foot - despite accumulating 9 pts from a very difficult start to the season. The problem was there was not the personnel or tactical awareness within himself to make it work.

Surely even the most diehard Pearson fan, must see this shows how diabolical he has been this season, our performance relative to the other promoted teams is the baseline for assessing whether we have under performed. No team promoted with a points tally as we had in the previous season has ever been relegated.

Pearson has go down as one of the PL's worst performing manager's ever

I'd definately say he's up there with the worst Prem managers. If there is any club that is overcomplicating the game of football, its us.

Well I'm no in the know but I'm hearing* that there is a huge amount of emphasis placed on all that statistical research stuff. Now, most people know that already but more specifically, for example, I hear this research has concluded that, no joke, Schlupp is the most technically gifted player in the squad. Now I'm no scientist either but I can tell you, if the statistics are saying that Schlupp is our most technically gifted player, you're doing it wrong.

Not quite tactics as such but it's an indicator as to why we're in such a mess. Technology is great and all but at the end of the day, football is a very simple game when you boil it down. Certainly things can be overcomplicated and that is what Pearson has done all season. Instead of picking the obvious, sane option, he has tended to side with the opposite.

The correct thinking process and philosophy has been totally lost on our coaching staff. i.e there are no statistics in the world that can make Schlupp a technically gifted player.

*A close family member's business partner who has had a long standing relationship with a senior member of the staff, before anyone asks.

l heard the same and strangely enough it came indirectly through Schlupp, at the time when the computer said we needed to play 4 central midfielders, the players thought it was ridiculous. Apparently we have a statto  who studies the up coming oppo, the data is analysed and we come up with a game plan from this. Sounds stupid but might explain some bizarre set ups.

l heard the same and strangely enough it came indirectly through Schlupp, at the time when the computer said we needed to play 4 central midfielders, the players thought it was ridiculous. Apparently we have a statto who studies the up coming oppo, the data is analysed and we come up with a game plan from this. Sounds stupid but might explain some bizarre set ups.

If this is true, I hope every computer they use gets a virus, or sets on fire, if they think a computer has the master plan, to keep us in the premier league, they all deserve what has happened.

I have said all season, we have set up not to lose, and counteract the opposition, and play in a way the players are not comfortable with, we need to play to our players strengths, as worrying about how the opposition plays, clearly hasn't worked

If this is true, I hope every computer they use gets a virus, or sets on fire, if they think a computer has the master plan, to keep us in the premier league, they all deserve what has happened.

I have said all season, we have set up not to lose, and counteract the opposition, and play in a way the players are not comfortable with, we need to play to our players strengths, as worrying about how the opposition plays, clearly hasn't worked

Thats exactly how l think we've approached this season, which is obviously the wrong way, which makes it all  crazy as it should have been changed when it was clear it didn't work, yet we carry on

- the same way, and will for the next 9 games. Madness !!!

Eisteins theory of stupidity, Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results.

Archived