Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daib0

Euros 2012 - Ukraine receives scathing attacks from animal lovers across Europe

Ukraine has come under huge criticism from animal welfare organizations for killing stray cats and dogs in order to prepare for Euro 2012. It was reported that cats and dogs are poisoned with illegal substances, shot or simply burned alive in a mobile crematorium. In November 2011 the Ukrainian Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources urged mayors around the country to stop killing stray animals for half a year and build shelters instead, but it remains unclear how the ban would be enforced. The ministry's comments also seemed to suggest that the six-month ban was only a temporary measure, drawing further criticism. In April 2012, it was found that despite promises from Prime Minister Mykola Azarov to stop the killings, dogs were still being regularly slaughtered in preparation for the tournament.

Thoughts?

How to protest?

Ukraine has come under huge criticism from animal welfare organizations for killing stray cats and dogs in order to prepare for Euro 2012. It was reported that cats and dogs are poisoned with illegal substances, shot or simply burned alive in a mobile crematorium. In November 2011 the Ukrainian Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources urged mayors around the country to stop killing stray animals for half a year and build shelters instead, but it remains unclear how the ban would be enforced. The ministry's comments also seemed to suggest that the six-month ban was only a temporary measure, drawing further criticism. In April 2012, it was found that despite promises from Prime Minister Mykola Azarov to stop the killings, dogs were still being regularly slaughtered in preparation for the tournament.

Thoughts?

How to protest?

I`m outraged.

I will not be attending any Euro 2012 games.

the charity Four Paws are conducting a major neutering programme across Ukraine, to convince the authorities that this is a better solution than killing the strays.

See their web page here: http://www.four-paws.org.uk/website/output.php?id=1290&idcontent=2917&language=1

Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2068047/Slaughter-stray-cats-dogs-clean-streets-Euro-2012-condemned-animal-lovers.html

The Sun: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3968312/Dogs-slaughtered-for-Euro-2012-in-Ukraine.html (gruesome pictures ...)

http://reflectionsinapuddle.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/stray-dogs-catching-a-train-ride (has loads of extra links at bottom of article)

Killing these stray animals, and the human problems such as denials of human rights, arresting musicians (well there are some i've heard maybe needed arresting see liekly alternative thread on eurovision), rascism, antisemitism are all sides of the same coin and we don't need to debate which is worse, in a properly civilised humane society neither would be happening.

Yeah, there are other things in life apart from football aren't there?! OK, I'm a Reading fan since the late 70s (and always on here 'in peace'!), but I'm also a member of League Against Cruel Sports, Animal Cruelty Investigation Group, and OneKind. Why should one exclude the other? In this case one really grates the other ... but I simply mentioned this on a number of boards because I felt it should be known about. What you all do about it or not is a case for each individual, and I'm not pressuring you guys into doing anything!

For me personally, I get angry that instead of a sleeping tablet or injection or whatever, they stuff the animals ALIVE into mobile crematoriums ...

Archived