Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Team Talk

i think i answered it by saying anybody who can jump and mark would be wiser choice than nils-eric. e.g dublin. therefore he WOULDN'T be in my team, does that answer your question shenny?

Fair enough, but that would mean a lot less pace at the back. And it also means having a worse tackler at the back. But if you see Nissa as a liability, what's your view on Paddy?

And why feel the need to belittle me by calling me shenny? <_<

nils-eric is a good player. Without him I think our defence would be letting in more goals. It's just his pace that makes him a little bit of a liability. With Dublin there, don't expect him to be chasing back and making last ditch tackles like McCarthy does either. Face it, McCarthy and Nils-Eric are our best centre pairing at this moment in time.

Face it, McCarthy and Nils-Eric are our best centre pairing at this moment in time.

the truth sucks!! :angry:

i think nisse is good, but paddy is just on terrible form. He was great at then end of last season but has been terible in the past 3 or 4 games.

Stearman is still a lightweight but i still think he should be given a try ahead of Mcarthy. the only problem wiht this is that Gilbert will have 2 be played :P

:teehee:

the truth sucks!! :angry:

i think nisse is good, but paddy is just on terrible form. He was great at then end of last season but has been terible in the past 3 or 4 games.

Stearman is still a lightweight but i still think he should be given a try ahead of Mcarthy. the only problem wiht this is that Gilbert will have 2 be played :P

:teehee:

Nils is used to playing on the left isn't he? So we don't have to use Gilbert...

Some crazy formations and choices.

douglas

maybury kisnorbo johanson sheehan

stearman hughes tiatto hamill

hammond hume

Subs:

hendo

macarthy

williams

sylla

mdv

I really love macarthy`s enthusiasm and passion, but he costs us at times, like the luton pen, and yellow cards. he just needs to learn a tad of patience.

It was probably maybury`s worst performance for city at hull on monday at LB.

Kisnorbo will steady the ship at CB, and i think that position will help he gain fitness for CM eventually.

Not seen sheehan do a thing wrong yet (ok ltd apperances) deserves a chance.

I agree with a few others, sylla hasnt been quite the player we thought, although we know he has talent. stearman was pretty awful first half at hull (yellow carded too), but considering that, he was brill 2nd half, and not dont a thing wrong at any other time, MUST starter, and i think hes better going foward.

hughes fit can support the attack, something willams and joey fail miserably to do, regular.

still need strenght in midfield, so i`d stick with tiatto (CL made him captain, must have attributes) hes a "die for the cause player", and we`d ALL moan if we didnt have that.

hamill scored from the edge of penalty are at bury, apparently scored a cracker from disatnce at highbury, we need that sort of thing.

mdv and dubs are NOT with it, that leaves the ever exciting hammond, and CL isnt going to bring in hume to sit on tut bench, we NEED goals goals!!

All that, plus gerrbrand, gilbert, joey, wilcox, morris, dubs. we could put out 2 teams fully fit.

It's interesting so many people have switched Maybury to left-back to accomodate Stearman. Pre-season, I would/did fume at the idea of Maybury on the left, but given Stearman's obvious promise it's hard to see how else to accomodate them both. Long-term, the plan must be to get Stearman in the centre, but he and Paddy are way too raw to both be there at the moment.

It's a bit annoying that Craig can't sort out the LB slot at the moment. Gilbert's obviously going to need some time to bed in, and he's not thought to put NEJ there yet....maybe when Gerrbrand is ready, he will? It's also a bit bizarre that Sheehan is further down the pecking order than he was last season. Perhaps Sheehan or Gilbert will be converted into an attacking left-sided player over time???

Back to the original question....I've no bloody idea what our best formation is yet. No-one does until we've seen Hughes, Kisnorbo, Gerrbrand, Hammond, Hamill and Hume play a few games. Nevertheless, I'll reluctantly go for...and this is IN A PERFECT WORLD (which we are not in):

--------------------Douglas-----------------------

Maybury - Stearman - Gerrbrand - Johansson

--------------------Kisnorbo----------------------

----Hammond - Hughes - Williams - Hume----

--------------------De Vries----------------------

Subs: Gilbert, Sylla, McCarthy, Gudjonsson, The J-Unit

This might take the thread off topic a little I suppose but from reading this (and I haven't seen a game so far this season, I should point out) how do you lot rate Gerrbrand?

Difficult to say. Not having seen him pre-season, I (and most others) are going off the reviews from Swedish correspondants to this site, various other sources, and the fact that CL was prepared to fight to get the bloke and stump up £200K for him. He gives the impression of being sh1t-hot for the future.

Or he could be the next Jimmy Willis.

Seems to be fairly injury prone... maybe he's just had a bad run of luck.

What I'm struggling to understand a bit is the bad press which McCarthy is getting from a lot of fans... is this justified? As I said, I haven't been this year but went very regularly for last few years (before moving south) and McCarthy seemed a decent enough centre back, if a little eratic, at the end of last season?

I remember when Jimmy Willis was on a real extraordinary run of own goals. Seems extraordinary looking back at it now but I think he might only have scored 2 in 2. Still, it makes MadFrank look like an amateur.

Mad Frank really knew how to finish at the wrong end. Some truly ludicrous goals. Middlesbrough was my personal fave.

I quite liked Steve Walsh's against Arsenal one year when he lobbed our onrushing keeper! Really nice delicate lob... think it was over Keller.

Was Sinclair's against M'Boro, the long range one when Walker was rushing out?

That's the one. I work with a lot of Boro fans and they rate it as one of the best finishes they've seen. Doesn't say a lot for Steve McLaren's brand of football!

The thing that has pissed me off the most this season is that Sheehan has been completely ignored, he's not even been given a place on the bench. Not even against Bury!! Whenever i've seen this lad, he's looked composed and very solid. I love Stearman and I desperately want him to play, every time he plays at right back he looks the business. But Maybury is not as influential at left back as he is at right back, it's a big problem Levein has. I personally think Gilbert was a waste of money, don't get me wrong he might turn out to be a class left back. But given the players we already had an the problems of fitting them all in, I think Sheehan is more than capable of playing at left back and to me he looks like a real talent.

I really hope he's given a few run outs this season, plus Gilbert has disappeared from the squad in recent games? I'm not sure what Levein is playing at with the defence.

The team I would like to see against Sheffield Wed is:

Douglas

Maybury

McCarthy

Nils

Sheehan

Sylla

Williams

Gudjonsson

Hughes

Elvis

Hume

Subs: Dublin, Tiatto, Henderson, Stearman, de Vries

We've got a few players back and signed a few so i wouldn't change formation now but if things don't improve i would change formation to 3 5 2 or maybe even 4 5 1. We need to strenghen that midfield which Hughes and Kisnorbo might in a 4 4 2 formation, but if not:

Douglas (good so far)

Stearman (not weak at all), Johansson (very good), McCarthy (ok so far but not brilliant),

Hamil (lots energy), Hughes (best player), Kisnorbo (sounds good), Williams (v good), Wilcox (Tiatto's poor),

Hume (Can't wait!), Mark de Vries (Not as bad as some people say).

We've got a few players back and signed a few so i wouldn't change formation now but if things don't improve i would change formation to 3 5 2 or maybe even 4 5 1. We need to strenghen that midfield which Hughes and Kisnorbo might in a 4 4 2 formation, but if not:

Douglas (good so far)

Stearman (not weak at all), Johansson (very good), McCarthy (ok so far but not brilliant),

Hamil (lots energy), Hughes (best player), Kisnorbo (sounds good), Williams (v good), Wilcox (Tiatto's poor),

Hume (Can't wait!), Mark de Vries (Not as bad as some people say).

So you'd drop Joey, who's arguably been our most consistent player this season, for Kisnorbo 'who sounds good'? :blink:

So you'd drop Joey, who's arguably been our most consistent player this season, for Kisnorbo 'who sounds good'? :blink:

I can't understand how anyone could drop Joey based on this season's performances either :huh:

Well this thread has certainly provoked a multitude of different responses which really emphasises what a tricky job picking the team is going to be for the manager.

Must say I hadn't considered Sheehan for left-back (probably cos he seemed to be around when the team he was playing in was conceding too many goals).

But, if he's as good as RicFlair suggests then that's one big decision over Stearman/Maybury unless CL has the confidence to play Stearman at centre-back.

Generally the problems seem to be good ones, choice of good players. But I still can't get convinced about Momo.

Archived