Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

The Politics Thread

:nigel:

Wow even for you that is pretty outlandish.  A study by the UCL last year estimated the immigration from outside the EU has cost the UK approximately £120 billion over the past couple of decades.  Nobody is saying end all immigration, but even you can't honestly say adding MILLIONS of people in a couple of decades is wise policy.  

There is a reason it's the British publics largest concern at the moment you know.

http://www.migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/briefings/uk-public-opinion-toward-immigration-overall-attitudes-and-level-concern

It's their biggest concern because the media talk it up and they are basically stupid and racist.

Healey has died.

What a horrible man and a threat to national security for doing this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/10/04/jeremy-corbyn-homelessness_n_8239528.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

More hand-outs of taxpayers hard earned cash? :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually said he is horrible Ken?  Certainly some of his spitting violent support are not very nice, but that is what you get on the extreme left and right.  By all accounts I have read he is a very nice decent man with strongly held convictions.  A pacifist, and very non confrontational.

Sadly his convictions appear to make him completely unsuitable to hold any position of Government.

More hand-outs of taxpayers hard earned cash? :rolleyes:

Has anyone actually said he is horrible Ken?  Certainly some of his spitting violent support are not very nice, but that is what you get on the extreme left and right.  By all accounts I have read he is a very nice decent man with strongly held convictions.  A pacifist, and very non confrontational.

Sadly his convictions appear to make him completely unsuitable to hold any position of Government.

Maybe so but what does that say about the politicians of today?

People are quck to slam him at every possible moment. As for those spitters he has condemned them and does not want their support.

I like the idea he 'borrowed' from Labour (something he's good at) about giving incentives to Grandparents for childcare, I guess he had to do something to distract from the austerity that will hit the most vunerable next April. 

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you sit...austerity and increase wages to get people to work, or just another hit on the poor by the Tories.

I like the idea he 'borrowed' from Labour (something he's good at) about giving incentives to Grandparents for childcare, I guess he had to do something to distract from the austerity that will hit the most vunerable next April. 

I guess it depends on what side of the fence you sit...austerity and increase wages to get people to work, or just another hit on the poor by the Tories.

Its like a horse wearing blinkers at the Aintree Grand National. They do not see the horse by their side fall.

Can a elderly grandparent cope with an autistic child or one that has severe disabilities?

Guest MattP

Interesting pitch from gorgeous George today, time for serious investment into the North and he's the man who can do it.

He looks nailed on to be our next Prime Minister.

Interesting pitch from gorgeous George today, time for serious investment into the North and he's the man who can do it.

He looks nailed on to be our next Prime Minister.

Do you really believe he is going to provide any of that investment after he broke election promises regarding the 'northern powerhouse' within a month of the Tories getting reelected? It's all talk, nothing will actually happen unless China wants to pay for it.

Leicester mayor Peter Soulsby sceptical of George Osborne's business pledge

By danjmartin  |  Posted: October 05, 2015

11090236-large.jpg

George Osborne

Comments (0)

Councils will be allowed to keep all of the money they raise from business rates, George Osborne has said.

The Tory chancellor has announced that by 2020 local authorities will no longer be required to collect the rates on behalf of the Government, send them to Whitehall and then wait for a share to be returned.

Leicester City Council would be able to keep all of the money it collects.

Last year it collected £101 million.

Mr Osborne described the move as a "devolution revolution" and said councils could lower rates "if they can afford it".

Cities with an elected mayor, like Leicester, could increase rates by up to two per cent to pay for local infrastructure.

Mr Osborne, speaking at the Tory party conference in Manchester told local authorities: "Attract a business, and you attract more money.

"Regenerate a high street, and you'll reap the benefits.

"Grow your area, and you'll grow your revenue too."

Leicester mayor Sir Peter Soulsby said: "This would sound like very good news but I am sceptical because I fear it will be accompanied by further savage cuts to the revenue support grants that councils rely on.

"George Osborne says elected mayors will be able to raise business rates but it is a freedom no one is likely to use.

"He offered the freedom to raise council tax knowing full well no council of any persuasion would be able to do it.

"What would be useful is him giving council the ability to access a range of sources of income like local taxes.

"Seaside resorts abroad taxing tourists, for example."

Sir Peter said he could not think of an immediate example of a local tax he could levy in Leicester.

He added: "What George Osborne is offering will be great for councils like Westminster, which is rolling in business rates but difficult for Leicester and probably impossible for northern cities."

North West Leicestershire MP Andrew Bridgen said he had raised the topic with the chancellor when he visited Norton in the summer.

He said: "This is something I have been campaigning for and it's especially important in Leicestershire which is one of the lowest funded counties.

"£136 million is grant and £206 million is business rates. That's £90 million more and we get to keep future growth. That matters when you think that Leicestershire has the fastest growing economy in the UK outside London and the South East."

Chris Hobson, director of policy at East Midlands Chamber of Commerce, said: "This significant departure from the current system of business taxation has the potential to be a game-changer.

"The Chamber, on behalf of its members and the wider business community here in the East Midlands, has long called for a radical shake-up of rules governing Business Rates.

"However, given the lack of consultation from Government on this proposal, the details of this new plan will be critically important.

"At a time when the Chancellor is promoting a national rebalancing of growth, Government needs to ensure that London and the South East don't end up being the major beneficiaries of any changes."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-mayor-Peter-Soulsby-sceptical-George/story-27924607-detail/story.html#ixzz3niABVzfn 

Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

One of the people working with him ix a Blairite. Resigned from Labour to work with Osbourne.

Does it still sound brilliant wirh a Labour man on board?

Not anymore it doesn't :(

Well done Ken you've outsmarted all us tories.

Guest MattP

The sight of watching Owen Jones being called a "Tory bastard" entering the Conservative party conference is terrific.

I don't think they'll be much left of the Labour party after Corbyn has finished with it.

Have comfort in  that  most of the  Blairites were probably closet Tories anyway.

Nah it is the other way around, most of the top brass in the Conservative party are Blairites. Both parties would do well in purging the lot. 

Guest MattP

We've had a Tory scum chants, BBC presenters being harassed, journalists spat on and cameramen attacked.

Is the new non personal kinder politics Corbyn talks about?

Looks like we're going back to the 80's rent a mobs.

We've had a Tory scum chants, BBC presenters being harassed, journalists spat on and cameramen attacked.

Is the new non personal kinder politics Corbyn talks about?

Looks like we're going back to the 80's rent a mobs.

Remind me who was PM in the 80's?

Archived