Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Mark

4-5-1

Well that was the worst game i have watched in my life. It took 41 minutes for the first shot on goal, and 66 minutes for the first shot on target. I also can't remember an entertaining Premiership game so far this season other than the Wigan vs Chelsea opener, and even then we didn't see a goal until the last minute.

In my opinion, 4-5-1 is killing the entertainment. It's taking away any sort of fluency in attacking play. No goals, few chances, no excitement. And whats worse is we've even taken it into International level, thankfully that has failed. Now i hope this new obsession with 4-5-1 soon fades away, but i can't see it happening. Teams now just want to stay in games for 75+ minutes and throw a player or two on to try and grab a late winnier.

I'm never watching a game involving Bolton EVER again. Unless i have no little choice and we're involved. Horrible.

4-5-1 OUT.

Well that was the worst game i have watched in my life. It took 41 minutes for the first shot on goal, and 66 minutes for the first shot on target. I also can't remember an entertaining Premiership game so far this season other than the Wigan vs Chelsea opener, and even then we didn't see a goal until the last minute.

In my opinion, 4-5-1 is killing the entertainment. It's taking away any sort of fluency in attacking play. No goals, few chances, no excitement. And whats worse is we've even taken it into International level, thankfully that has failed. Now i hope this new obsession with 4-5-1 soon fades away, but i can't see it happening. Teams now just want to stay in games for 75+ minutes and throw a player or two on to try and grab a late winnier.

I'm never watching a game involved Bolton EVER again. Unless i have no little choice and we're involved. Horrible.

4-5-1 OUT.

I gave up after 15 minutes and went and did some gardening which is on my hate list of things to do. :o

Four-five-one should carry a punishment of life imprisonment. It is killing football and that's the sentence for wilful, premeditated murder.

Don't managers and clubs realise they have a responsibility to the game and the fans as well as themselves?

I've campaigned on this forum time and again for Leicester City in particular (and teams in general) to play football which will put fans on seats again.

It really did used to happen and the grounds were filled to capacity at a time when you got wet if it rained, cold if it snowed and you peed in a bottle that you carried with you.

Yet, is commitment to attack fully-favoured? Oh no. Respondents reply saying we don't care if its boring so long as we win 1-0. Pathetic.

The game is awash with fear instead of adventure. It's the price for all the obscene sums of money splashing around in the game and the fact that so many human beings will sell their soul for cash and fame, associated or otherwise (as we see in the Sunday papers every week).

Saturday's City match was an example to some extent. Yes we won and I'm glad about that. But once we were 2-0 ahead no-one within the club, players or manager, appeared to give a shit about the fans' afternoon entertainment (apart perhaps from Hume who gave the impression that de-fence was something you painted with creosote and tried with all his heart to score).

Consequently there was very little atmosphere in the ground, no buzz, no feeling of anticipation. The game effectively ended as a spectacle with DeVries's second goal (apart from isolated incidents and Hume's cameo). There was no evidence of sustained, unyielding commitment and a detemination to hammer as many goals in 90 minutes as they could.

I remember attending an FA coaches course years ago where they were using Allen Wade's manual as the footballing Bible and chucking it on the lecture room floor with the words that "It's a load of crap and only fit for the fire". Wade forever preached about using 2 v 1 to beat players and not taking risks at a time when I'd happily put £300 I couldn't afford on black at the roulette wheel.

Anyway it endeared me no-end throwing the book down, yet Wade's spirit remains alive and well in the form of new negatives like Bolton, Blackburn and Ericsson who, week by week, hammer further nails into the soul of free-spirit football.

I must say I thought Allardyce had more about him but seems now like wishful thinking yet my mention of a hopefully older and wiser Hoddle as a flamboyant attack-minded manager for England was greeted by a deafening silence.

Where are the attacking alternatives, I ask. Which Englishman carries the spirit of Sir Matt Busby? Wenger is a disciple but he's French, Kevin Keegan and Sir Bobby Robson have gone (with mixed managerial CV's) and

as I rack my brains I have to conclude that the glitter is gone.

To a great extent the football authorities and big-business are to blame. As the mighty brand names of Chelsea and Manchester United line their multi-million pound teams up against their generally pauper-like Premiership opponents, the very players that these minnows might be using to make an interesting game of it are sat wrapped in weatherproofs on the United and Chelsea benches.

Millions of pounds worth of talent sit idle every week when they could be entertaining us. Why, cos they'd rather pick up £20,000 a week as a reserve/substitute than £10,000 grand a week playing every week for Birmingham.

Consequently the "weak" teams see their only hope as described elsewhere on this thread... surviving 75 minutes then rushing on the subs to try and pinch a win.

How long the paying public will put up with such a loaded non-contest remains to be seen but gates are going down now and that's a concern.

We need a drastic re-think on and off the pitch. Like a limit on team spending, a low limit on the number of substitutes, geographical signing conditions etc. etc.

Good for football, maybe, but I bet selfishness wins in the end.

Football is all about results, no matter what the cost. And if entertainment has to go, so be it, such is the pressure of Premiership society.

I've said it before, but money is killing the game.

I must say I thought Allardyce had more about him but seems now like wishful thinking yet my mention of a hopefully older and wiser Hoddle as a flamboyant attack-minded manager for England was greeted by a deafening silence.

Probably because there is more chance of us beating Brazil 10-0 with Sven in charge! I agree he would be a good appointment, but I seriously doubt the FA will re-appoint him.

I blame Man Utd and Chelsea for this recent take off of 4-5-1. A couple of seasons ago Man Yoo started playing this system in Europe, leaving Van Nistelrooy up front with either Scholes/Giggs playing behind him/in midfield. And last season Chelsea used this system with Drogba as the sole striker (although they had 2 quality wingers/forwards who made the system look more like 4-3-3), and now everyone else is following suit.

It's boring and bland and I detest teams that play in such a negative manner. Another minus point for Allardyce's England credentials again for me ;)

united use the system well , thier formation is virtually 4-3-3 with rooney and ronaldo supporting van nistlerooy and chelsea have similar style but both teams today seemed too negative to get more players forward

Football is all about results, no matter what the cost. And if entertainment has to go, so be it, such is the pressure of Premiership society.

I've said it before, but money is killing the game.

I remember reading an article which said something similar.

It went on about how games were becoming less entertaining and teams were more willing to defend and nick that one goal because the cost of losing and relegation and the like was so much.

Makes me not want to get Sky now. :( <_<

The problem with 4-5-1 is that you need dynamic players to make it happen (Chelski or ManYoo) or it becomes as interesting as watching paint dry.

I'm amazed anyone watches Blackburn. Horrible town. Horrible team.

Agree with you there mate, i think it's the two wide players that are the key to this formation for instance at Man utd, Its Ronaldo and Rooney and Chelsea it's Duff and Robben

Agree with you there mate, i think it's the two wide players that are the key to this formation for instance at Man utd, Its Ronaldo and Rooney and Chelsea it's Duff and Robben

Blackburn's "5" were Emerton, Savage, Mokoena, Reid and Pedersen. If that's not a receipe for dull football, I don't know what is!

The Liverpool game just now was like that as well, boring crap. I could count the number of shots on target on one hand from BOTH sides, its not how it used to be with rivals going for each other tooth and nail its now more like a game of chess, time and again you saw players with ability like Gerrard, Garcia get it with a bit of space on the edge of the box and you'd think "HIT IT!" but then another pass wide and a cross to no one and the move broke down. Rubbish. Also Liverpool adopted the dreaded 4-5-1 :mad:

Blackburn vs Newcastle 0-0 at half time, what a surprise. The Premierships shit, i'd rather watch the excitement of a proper league..........The Championship!

We're fast heading back to the 2 points for a win and 1point for a draw situation where teams have become so scared of losing, as much as I'm against messing about with rules, leagues and points systems perhaps now's the time to consider the introduction bonus points for numbers of goals scored or preferable the size of the goal difference.

As in 1 point for a draw; 3 points for a win ; plus 1 point for winning by two clear goals and 2 points for wininng by three or more clear goals for example - so you could get a maximum of 5 points for a win. The emphasis would still be on quality of performance both in defence and attack and just going four a 3-4 defeat 4-3 win would not give you extra points.

Same again with Derby vs Southampton. Upto the 55th minute it was a depressing 0-0 bore draw while Derby were persisting with the evil 4-5-1, nothing happened. Derby then went to 442 and Southampton scored almost immediately, things opened up and the match became watchable.

I was planning to go Derby in September, but if both teams will be lining up 4-5-1 i dread to think what kind of spectacle it'll be.

KILL 4-5-1 :banghead:

These things are fads. Bit like 3-5-2 back in the mid to late 1990s. Everyone was playing it, England, Villa, ourselves, etc. Take an extra man from defence and use him to strengthen the midfield and get the fullbacks to cover the entire flank. It seemed the perfect formation to play against the bigger teams. The formation gets exposed or tired and now hardly any team plays 3-5-2 anymore. (In 3-5-2 case, you struggle to get round the back of teams, less you get exposed down the flanks, where opponents can beat you with an overlapping full-back on the counter)

Charlton and Bolton brought 4-5-1 to the domestic level enjoying good success with the formation. Man U played it in Europe and Jose plays it at Chelsea. Suddenly, everybody is playing it for fear of being called "tactically naive" or being labelled "gung-ho". Eventually, the better teams will have to start playing something else in order to break down opponents - This can be seen at Man U where Fergie has decided 4-5-1 is not the way to go and are now playing something more akin to a 4-3-3. Then the fad will start to disappear as teams find they need to go chasing or need to put teams under more pressure.

Archived