Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Central Defenders

If shakey was willing to play amartey at CB then I'd not be so worried. Huth and Maguire are the 2 starters for me and I'm not sure that Wes is really starting quality anymore. Benny is fine in some circumstances but has problems without a leader with him. I'd like Smalling or another who we can bring through as I don't see Wes or Huth being starting material for the season after this. I really think we need to upgrade RB and have Simpson as the backup.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

If shakey was willing to play amartey at CB then I'd not be so worried. Huth and Maguire are the 2 starters for me and I'm not sure that Wes is really starting quality anymore. Benny is fine in some circumstances but has problems without a leader with him. I'd like Smalling or another who we can bring through as I don't see Wes or Huth being starting material for the season after this. I really think we need to upgrade RB and have Simpson as the backup.

Really?

I think Simpson was unlucky not to get in the England squad, given that Walker & Clyne are essentially the same player

That's possibly harsh on Wes, although we do need someone who can come through & replace Wes or Huth with minimal fuss for 18/19

I'm far from sold on Benny... outside the Coca Cola Cup matches, or whatever it's called these days and at his age he's supposed to be beginning his prime, I would sell him & really try to progress Evans or Smalling... or preferably someone like Maguire

10 minutes ago, cc_star said:

Really?

I think Simpson was unlucky not to get in the England squad, given that Walker & Clyne are essentially the same player

That's possibly harsh on Wes, although we do need someone who can come through & replace Wes or Huth with minimal fuss for 18/19

I'm far from sold on Benny... outside the Coca Cola Cup matches, or whatever it's called these days and at his age he's supposed to be beginning his prime, I would sell him & really try to progress Evans or Smalling... or preferably someone like Maguire

Simpson is an average to above average prem defender. He makes a lot of mistakes. Going forward he is a liability. IMO he's nowhere near the quality of Walker or Clyne. I'd like to upgrade him and have him as back-up. Better still I'd go to  3-5-2 and do without Simpson altogether. I realise that some city supporters rate Simpson much higher than I do. I'll agree to disagree in advance.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Simpson is an average to above average prem defender. He makes a lot of mistakes. Going forward he is a liability. IMO he's nowhere near the quality of Walker or Clyne. I'd like to upgrade him and have him as back-up. Better still I'd go to  3-5-2 and do without Simpson altogether. I realise that some city supporters rate Simpson much higher than I do. I'll agree to disagree in advance.

Agree he's nowhere near their quality, but as a squad game I felt he offered something different to both

He was also the only player to come out of Ranieri's part of the 2016/17 season with any credit imo, which admittedly isn't saying a lot

I think we're desperate for a RB, fed up with muddling through with CBs or utility-men being given the job which we've done for many years (aside from RDL & Simpson's overlapping period in our squad)

& given Maguire, Morgan & Huth's ability and Benny just about being okay backup, I'd much rather a RB than another CB, although we must have someone in mind for 18/19 when Morgan & Huth almost certainly won't be at the races

I don't really see the clamor for a RB. Simpson was excellent last season and doesn't get injured.

If we do decide to go with 3 at the back then they all need to be mobile. for that reason I don't seeit happening unless we get another in. i don't see any point in keeping Benny, apart from a lack of pace he's too much of a loose cannon. we also have Moore and the other lad available to step in if needed. We've got to start using the younger players as back up. if only to encourage them and reinforce their belief that they will get a chance here.

35 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Every player gets injured... 

Not exactly true. Every player can get injured but many go through a whole seasons without getting injured. Morgan and Mahrez come to mind and when is the last time Simpson was out injured.

I'd prefer to see us spend the money on more quality signings rather than numbers. Defensively I think we're more than covered. Especially if we are getting in another CB. I'm sure Albrighton could even fill in as RB if needed. 

We really do need to move a few out and improve the quality.

Archived